LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » swimming, good or bad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: swimming, good or bad
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the opportunity to go on a sort-of vacation with my fiance while he is on a training course out of state.

We are staying at a hotel with a pool and I have been swimming the past two days. I can definitely feel it. I'm feeling more twitchy and achy.

I know Burrascano doesn't recommend cardio but surely this is better than no activity, right??
Swimming is the only physical activity that I like and isn't painful.

I am planning on getting in the pool again but taking it easier.

Has swimming helped anyone or does it make things worse?

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swam all through my treatment
and never noticed feeling worse from it
I am well now

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you answered your own question...

you've been swimming and your symptoms are getting worse...

Cardio has defiantly made me worse in the past. I do, do some now, but I start very slowly and the second i start to feel worse I stop for a good few weeks before I think about starting again.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you avoid chlorination or other contamination by humans or industry.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Assuming the chlorine does not knock you out - or that you'd be in the sun too long (remember, if on doxycycline, sun exposure is best avoided). . .

You can get in the water and just move about as you feel best. You need not try to match the Olympic times. Just enjoy being in the water.

Some kind of floatation device to play with can help you take on the lollygag demeanor if you feel self-conscious about just relaxing.

Slowly treading water can be the ticket, too. Enjoy !
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colors and Lines
Member # 38256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colors and Lines         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swimming has helped me. But, not really swiming. I use a waterskiers flotation belt. It needs to be put on tight enough so that it does'nt end up under the arms. This keeps me upright in the water and I do simple aerobic / strengthening exercises. I can swim but it is taxing and since I am prone to muscle spasms swiming is probably not a good idea. I do get a lot of "looks" especially at my age using a floatation device. Oh, well. These exercises help a lot and don't hurt. Just dont do too much. Hope this idea helps, at least in the long run, if not on vacation.
Posts: 3 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This worked very well for me to walk in water but also to gently tread water, even able to nearly stop at times to rest.

It sits on the middle back and curves around to the side. Nothing in the front except the belt. Very comfortable. I recall no smell at all.

Sadly, I could not continue. The cold water was very taxing as were the chemicals and sheer energy that went into getting back OUT of the pool, showering, dressing and getting myself home (and I lived just 2 blocks away).

One reasonable swim session and I'd have to do a week of bed-time, flat out.

Still, for anyone who can do this and is not adversely affected, please enjoy all the joys that a pool of water can bring.

One hint: in cold weather and indoor pool, do NOT get your hair wet if you are just going to tread and play in the water. The wet head and the fans used at most pools to disperse the chlorine fumes can make it too cold for the body.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2351.htm

AquaJogger belt
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does the chlorination affect those with lyme disease?
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am back home now and feeling a little better but still a bit under the weather.

I think I was either reacting to something in the hotel or caught some kind of bug. My fiance felt unwell too.

I think the extra swimming may have exacerbated things. My immune system seems to have been compromised by something as I have a dime sized cold sore and I rarely get those.

I will be back swimming as soon as I feel better, just not everyday and will take it easier.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love to be in the pool however, the chlorine really bothers me. eyes, nose, breathing, everything.

so i quit....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Chlorine gas (from the fumes) can be very toxic to anyone. It's just that most others seem to manage that okay.

Since lyme is so toxic and the treatment is also a chemical load for the liver, nerve cells, etc. many with lyme are clobbered not just with chlorine fumes but with ANY chemicals, scents, etc.

SALT WATER POOLS may be searched for your area.
-

[ 07-16-2012, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a pool and we use salt water. It's still chlorinated but eliminates the chlorine gas that irritates eyes and lungs. I think it's great to swim. It's about all I can do and it's better than doing nothing.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Jamers,

So great to hear that you just got a pool. What time should be we arrive?

Till we all get there, I sure hope you enjoy just being in the water.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement