LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cholestyramine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cholestyramine
bboop
Member # 37305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bboop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started cholestyramine yesterday because my C4a is high. I feel incredibly wiped out today, brain fog to the nth power, weakness, and let's just say every chair calls out my name!

I know it is a bile sequestrant, and while I am not taking it to lower cholesterol, that is what it was originally intended for. Your brain needs cholesterol, so I could see how over time you might not have enough in your brain, but I would imagine it takes time for that to happen.

I have read that in addtition to removing toxins, it can remove a lot of things like nutrients and other meds, so I wonder if that is what is happening? Seems odd that it could happen after just one dose, though.

Anyone with any experience or information on this?

Many thanks!

--------------------
Bboop

Posts: 17 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There.

I take Cholestyramine for the exact same reason. At first it was really difficult to take it and I take only 1 teaspoon a day.

It could be it's taking too many of the good stuff out as well. Make sure you take vitamins and minerals as well.

How much did you take?

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you time it and with or without food?
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cholestyramine can cause a cytokine response in Lyme patients. I couldn't take it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does cytokine response feel like.

Sometimes I wonder if what I take has me feeling worse than I would feel without some of it..

Six ,so far it was a no for GSE, Cholestyramine and one other I can't think of , that you coudn't/.didn't handel...or was just not in your protocol. Maybe a ABX.

Yet you are well,
I could very easily be forcing things in me that are just causing some trouble. [Eek!]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cytokine response feels like the flu. It's an immune system response. I had it to CSM and Zithromax. GSE I could only take in small doses.

My immune systems tended to over-react.

I ended up getting better when I changed my whole paradigm. I went to Germany for photon treatment, then I came back with the attitude that the body heals itself, to give it the tools to do so.

Think of it this way. You and doctors cannot heal a cut. They can clean it, then can stitch it, then can put salve on it to keep it clean, but they cannot HEAL it. Healing power is INSIDE the body. You just have to give it the tools to heal.

I, personally, don't think that it's worth pushing through with a product the body obviously doesn't like.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know anything about pure encapsulations cholestepure? I hear it's kind of similar to cholestryamine but not prescription. Would it have the same tendency to cause a cytokine response?

These is something I have hoped to try.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also�276 medications are known to interact with Cholestyramine.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cholestyramine,cholestyramine-light.html

Cholestyramine resin and colestipol deplete the body of beta-carotene, folic acid, vitamin A, B12, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.

http://www.randifredricks.com/randi/art/nutrient_depletion.cfm Author is a PhD.

Homocysteine is very toxic and must be converted to methionine <->

We need/use B12, B6, B9 (folic acid)to do so and can also use betaine (in red beets).

Methotrexate (for RA, etc.) also impacts folic acid and is really hard to take and there are a lot of methotrexate "failures".

http://www.livestrong.com/article/420615-why-cant-i-take-folic-acid-the-same-day-as-methotrexate/

See "actions" i.e., how it impacts folic acid.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement