LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » exercise & weight lifts program

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: exercise & weight lifts program
evmal
Member # 38096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evmal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, can you suggest me how to organize my exercises in gym. Recently somebody mentioned Dr. Burrascano complex, but I cannot find anything. Thank you.
(9 months on oral combos, still not good, current headache and head pressure are a big problems).

Posts: 15 | From New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/109735

Hopefully, I have just pasted the link for Dr. B's Guidelines.

If my link doesn't work, just go to the first thread of this forum.

That is the document in which he talks about how to get well--what exercises to do and what not to do.

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burrascano discusses the exercise/weight lifting requirement starting on page 31 of his Guidelines.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evmal
Member # 38096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evmal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much, I will read.
Posts: 15 | From New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some of us can't grasp anything so lifting weights may not work. Just be sure to not irritate tender joints and tendons.

If lifting weights is not an option (or to add to that)

there are other ways to approach non-aerobic exercise. Tai Chi or Qi Gong can be very helpful and surprisingly strengthening.

Not sure about how Pilates might work for those with joint or tendon troubles but that is also worth looking into. A good instructor can help with alternate ways or suggest certain wrist braces, etc.

"Restorative" yoga, too.

Walking, even just strolling, is a vital exercise as well. Gentle dancing . . . do things you enjoy and can do without equipment at various times of the day, at a whim.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pilates is not only fine for people with tendon trouble and joint problems, it's beneficial because it strengthens the muscles around the joints. People think of it as being like yoga, but it is not. Both can be done on a mat, however, the vast majority of pilates is done on equipment that provides either assistance or resistance depending on the exercise.

If you go for a semi-private or private lesson the pilates instructor can really tailor the workout for you. I would look for a studio that offers classical pilates (they will brag about it on their website if they do) or are PMA certified. You want an instructor with more than average training to be able to cater to your needs.

Pilates is good for a Lyme patient because much of it is done lying down in the beginning, so you're not using energy just to stay upright, yet you're still getting solid strength training. It's also good because by design it is full body every workout. Another benefit is it reaches the deepest muscle groups rather than only superficial. And, it is not cardio until you are a super-advanced student.

It fits Dr. B's guidelines perfectly.

I found it to be so beneficial in helping me reach remission that I am now an instructor.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
SixGoofyKids,

Thanks for that speedy reply. I added that to the cardiac thread, too. It's always been a question.

Now, anther three questions for you:

1. can some forms of pilates be done by someone who cannot make a fist at all to grasp with either hand or in anyway put pressure on the hands/wrists?

This also includes not bending the hands to put any pressure on when doing certain positions. No pressure at all on either wrist or the elbows, either - is that possible?

If not, Qi Gong is very helpful but just wondered if Pilates might work, somehow.

2. DVD?

I know it's always best for any of these exercise methods to have personal instruction. However, for someone homebound and with a budget that does not afford that, might there be a DVD you could suggest - and one geared to those with carpal tunnel?

3. If buying equipment is out of reach, are there any basics that can be re-purposed from things we have at home?

thanks
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
evmal:

Others posted the link for Burrascano's guidelines but here are the page references that might help speed you along.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

�� Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease ��

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Regarding the "current headache" are you taking enough FISH OIL & MAGNESIUM? Details here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management

-----------------------

Endurance support:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler: -
SixGoofyKids,

Thanks for that speedy reply. I added that to the cardiac thread, too. It's always been a question.

Thanks, I haven't been on that thread to see it.

quote:
Now, anther three questions for you:

1. can some forms of pilates be done by someone who cannot make a fist at all to grasp with either hand or in anyway put pressure on the hands/wrists?

This also includes not bending the hands to put any pressure on when doing certain positions. No pressure at all on either wrist or the elbows, either - is that possible?

Yes. When I teach, I prefer people don't make fists to hold the handles anyway as then they tend to bend the wrist. I have people hold their wrist in a neutral position so as not to hurt it. There are some positions (we don't hold poses) that can put pressure on the wrist, but those moves tend to be intermediate or advanced and can easily be left out.

quote:
2. DVD?

I know it's always best for any of these exercise methods to have personal instruction. However, for someone homebound and with a budget that does not afford that, might there be a DVD you could suggest - and one geared to those with carpal tunnel?

http://www.powerpilates.com/videos/

Power Pilates is where I got my training and they now have videos you can buy online.

I don't know of anything specifically for carpal tunnel.

quote:
3. If buying equipment is out of reach, are there any basics that can be re-purposed from things we have at home?

Matwork is easy to do at home. You can buy a magic circle or bands if you want some variety. I would not recommend buying a "chair" as it's an advanced piece of equipment that is now being marketed in infomercials.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
SGK: Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. It helps.
-

evmal
Member # 38096

Dear all, Thank you very much for your answers. I go to learn what you recommended to me. Thank you again.
FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six,

Thanks for the great info on pilates. I've stayed away from it because my initial experience was far too stressful for my joints & tendons... but the way you describe it makes it sound like it could be the right thing for me.

I miss running terribly but possibly the pilates and weights can fill the gap! I'll look for a good studio in my area.

Laurie

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Laurie, the instructor's training makes all the difference. You can literally go away for a weekend and come back and teach, so look into the instructor's training. If he/she has a good training, they will brag about it on their website.

Many gyms will hire instructors with minimal training to teach mat classes. A local gym wanted to hire me when I was still in training, and not that far into it. I said no because I didn't feel I was qualified.

To give you an idea .... My training was a 600 hour program .... I had four tests, at 100 hours, 300 hours, 400 hours, and 600 hours.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement