LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Had first Bicillin injection today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Had first Bicillin injection today
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked for and received a B-LA injection today at the doctor's office.
It did not hurt nearly as much as I had expected.
I was surprised. Maybe it was just a "good stick"....
My sister held an ice pack on the site for only a couple of minutes. The B-LA was only out of the fridge a few minutes. No Lidocaine. The injection took about 30 seconds. So was unable to do the things folks say to do to make it less painful.

I did send my sister out in search of hot water for my bottle to sit on for the long drive home.

IIRC the doctor said that for my tiny "fanny" only about 1" of the needle was to be used. Whatever- I feel certain it went in the muscle.
Will see how I feel tomorrow and next days.
I was given Rx for three months. 2x/week. The 1.2 mu.

I hope the Bicillin works for me like the only two Rocephin infusions I received. Do they work similarly? The Rocephin was amazing for the little amount I got (was not given for Lyme).

We did not discuss cyst busters. I understand they are a "must do" but hopefully I can wait a few weeks on that?

I was also given Rx for Bactrim DS - which I will wait to start after I see how I do on the B-LA. B-DS hits Bb and Bart H?

So now that I did it - what is the B-LA doing? Killing some spirochetes - and pushing others into cyst form? Any idea what percentage of the spirochetes are being "killed" and how many are going into hiding?

Anyway, just wanted to update/share.
(Sammy - I actually did it!!!!!!!)

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you doing susan? So far so good?

I think these shots might be in my near future. Anyone have any info to add?

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deb - sorry late reply.

I guess I am doing OK. Not too sore.

I judge how I feel when I wake up and start moving around. Some days I know that I am going nowhere.

If I go somewhere one day, I am certain to be housebound the next day.

I only leave my house to go to a doctor or to see my horse. Seeing my horse is the only thing keeping me alive and trying to get better.

So Friday - the day after my first injection I had expected to be a "home" day. Instead it turned out to be a "maybe I can go see my horse" day. I called and my driver/helper was able to take me. So I went. I even sat on my horse/rode him around a bit - just at a walk.
And it was hot outside. I did too much and am paying for it today. I feel pretty bad today.
Who knows about tomorrow.

The same thing happened after my two Rocephin infusions in the ER. The next day I was surprised that I felt "good" enough to go see my horse.

So today it is hot. I am running a fever a bit higher than usual. about 99.8

I hate the "crash" and feel hopeless days. The fever and pain days. When I go to see my horse - it's like I do things and cannot stop.
I get some kind of false energy and try to do more things than I should. Wired and tired maybe?

But that is pre Bicillin anyway. I hope the B-LA will eventually allow me to do things and recover better.

Researching injection sites online in preparation for my next shot - by my sister - I realize I don't know in what site my first shot was given. I am getting ventral and dorsal glutes confused.
Some photos showed "backside" views and some straight-on hip views.

Also - the 2 ml are less painful than 4 ml?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the needle on the 4ml,or 2.4 mu bicillins are bigger needles and hurt more. Or at least they did me. The needles prob a little less than double width of the 1.2 mu.

Worth every little bit of pain though.

Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did my 6th bicillin injection. Never thought I would be abe to continue with them after the first one, but so glad I "stuck" with it.

I am now using the ventrogluteal site and that seems to work much better for me. OI can give the injection to myself there. The dorso gluteal was awful. I have way too much nerve and muscle pain in that area which made the injection horrible.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone thinking about injecting themselves, know that everyone is different. I do the 1.2's every other day to myself. I feel nothing ever, not even a pinch and it goes right into my glut muscle, sidebutt.
Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Could someone please kindly clarify where these muscles are?

I have looked at so many diagrams/photos and get more confused.

Are these muscles in the same general area/close to each other? Sorry stupid questions.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please double check yourself after hanging around or on horse.,,the best to you with your new treatment.
what else are you doing with it?

nonna [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
google pictures of ventrogluteal site and there is one that shows you a diagram of the hand in the proper location. I actually trace my hand with the position of the fingers as the diagram portrays and place the cut out on my self to find the proper location.

May sound silly but it works! Sammy also has some good help for locating the site.

Also on you tube there are some videos showing IM injections on the ventrogluteal site as well.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan, I'll try send you a PM later today/tonight with an easier way to find the shot locations. This is what I told Ellen and how I did it myself when I was on Bicillin.

Once you learn to feel your important landmarks and learn where you are supposed to give the injections you will have less anxiety about the shots.

When are you due for your next shot?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Thanks.

My injection was Thursday. Dunno - two times per week would be? Monday? The earliest I could get the B-LA will be Tuesday. I should have taken the written prescription with me.
Lesson learned. My usual local pharmacy does not stock B-LA and would have to order it for next day arrival. Hope the office calls it in tomorrow/Monday.

Regardless of supplier - all the materials are the same? ie air bubble? Aspiration blood chamber?

I am a bit "wigged" (can you tell) because the person I had counted on to give me the injections
has been in the hospital with fever of unknown origin. (see my thread under general support).

She knows how to give injections - but has probably never given B-LA injections. I had wanted her to study the "set-up" and be prepared.
She is also a licensed massage therapist and obviously knows muscles.

So my sister will have to pinch-hit (??) for me for now.

I had studied the upper outer quadrant diagrams and thought "easy enough". Then I read the best muscle is the ventral i/o the dorsal glute.

I have seen the photos/diagrams of the hand on the hip for ventral. That is when I started getting concerned/confused. That looks like a direct straight on side view. (?). Like where a seam would be when wearing jeans. Back pockets would be the general dorsal area?

I should have had the doctor circle in pen the safe/best areas. I am so tiny - if the areas were to be marked/circled - what would the size be? About the size of a half dollar?

Sorry my stupid questions.

In regards to the needles - I guess I have to hope that my sister gets it right the first time.
I surely don't want to have to toss out a few syringes because of first time "oops".

I had hoped to have her practice on something ahead of time. Like what? Fruit?

Also - was wondering - for pain afterwards.
I have a personal/portable ultrasound machine for pain. Would that be a no-no to use on the injection site hours/days afterwards?
Has anyone ever done that on muscles after painful injections?

I apologize again for being so "wordy" and asking things you probably wonder how I dream up. Thanks any/all help.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your sister will get it right. You should not have to throw away needles and start over.

Your muscles are not so small that you have to hit a tiny exact dot as your injection spot. You have a general area that will be good for you to hit.

All the brands of Bicillin LA should be made in a similar prefilled syringe. They will all have a small bubble space left for you to visualize aspiration. If you warm the medicine in your hand, it will become more fluid and less thick. You may not always be able to see the little bubble but it will still be there. When you aspirate you will still be able to see any blood if it comes up into the needle hub and into the syringe.

After the shot apply a band-aide, gently massage the site, and apply heat. This will help keep the muscle from cramping and prevent lumps. The heat also helps with the medication absorbtion.

You really should have no problem. If you do, we'll be here to help. Your pharmacist is just a phone call away to answer questions. And you can always call your doctor. Your not in this alone.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement