LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Urgent Help - Severe Persistent Nausea!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urgent Help - Severe Persistent Nausea!
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbowriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on Mepron two weeks ago. I was on it for only 1.5 days and then I developed severe nausea along with other babesia herx symptoms. Now the other symptoms have subsided, but severe nausea continues on. I can only take liquid and in small amount. I have lost 8 pounds down to 105 pounds during this time. I have been off all meds since 12 days ago except for the anti-nausea meds. The meds I am on include bonine,ondansetron, phosfood.

I really need help and advice from this community! Has anyone experience this kind nausea even after stoping the meds? What did you do?

Also my doctor wants to switch me to malarone after I get better with nausea. I am very concerned about it because malarone contains the same ingredient as Mepron. Is nausea any better on Malarone?

Thank you so much! I desperately need help!

Posts: 99 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbowriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that early on I had severe nausea and vomitting. I vomitted for 8 hours in a row one night. Now it is just nausea and can eat food.
Posts: 99 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

can't eat solid food at all, can only drink liquid.
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish I could help more, but here are my experiences with nausea.

My sister when she first got sick, had bad nausea and vomiting and this was weeks after a tick bite. She was bed bound for 4 months and decided to eat well and to fight it.

She ate only veggies, organic meats, nuts and nothing bad. You could blend all of those foods mentioned. She had so many more symptoms, from eyesight blurring and turning all white, to sever noise sensitivity, pin like needles pricking her, painful and cracking and swelled up joints, and muscle twitching and vibrations/tremors.

She went from doc to doc, but all her tests were normal. Eventually she was suspicious of Lyme and self diagnose, although all her tests came back normal and only 2 bands on Lyme test. She tried to get ABX, but was denied. She did get them right after she starting feeling better and her symptoms resolved, one month of Doxy and that's it.

To this day she only has occasional muscle twitches.

I never had nausea until catching a stomach bug this past winter. Then diarrhea, neck and head pressure set back in, and then major nausea. I had nausea for 2-3 weeks and also fevers that I had not had in a few years. I reached 102 on one day and was happy about it.

Oddly enough the fevers help resolve most of my before low body temp, that would go into 96's at times. My nausea resolved and my body temp remained in the 98's thereafter with rare occurrences in the 97's and I check just about every day.

My wife also had the same illness but she did not get nausea. The past month she developed stomach pains and had a biopsy. They found H. pylori and she had a 10 day course of ABX. She developed nausea while on it and post ABX. She has nausea now and it is severe from what she describes.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried taking omeprazole first thing in the morning when you wake before eating or drinking anything at all? It may help.

Also, you could try cutting out all dairy. I know my sister had awful nausea every day until she stopped all dairy.

There are various teas that also help with nausea as well.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had terrible nausea too. Recently my llmd gave me Zofran that comes in a pill that dissolves in your mouth so that you don't have to swollow a tablet. (I would always throw up a tablet.)

Hope you find something that helps!

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For nausea - keep electrolytes as balanced as possible.

But don't treat nausea with gatorade, which artificial and sugary contents might make anyone want to hurl.

Instead try Green Coconut Water, as when
taken in sips, it can help control nausea, even when regular water won't stay down.

Supplying the necessary electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, esp.), will help get nausea under control - but then you should seek to regain energy.

Adelle Davis told women suffering with pregnancy nausea to keep dry crackers by the bed and eat some before getting up - so as to keep a nighttime fasting blood sugar level from taking an extra dive.

Some light fruit, like watermelon, might also help.

If it's a run-of-the mill tummy queeze, try ginger root or comfrey leaf tea - either warm or iced, with lemon or not. Honey, sparingly if desired, is optional.

After that - bring on the PROBIOTICS!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron is notorious for causing GERD, ask your doc if you can try omeprazole. Some people only have nausea and vomiting as the symptom.

I would also get some DGL. This will help protect, coat, and heal the esophagus and stomach. My favorite brand DGL is enzymatic therapy's chewables: http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-DGL-Ultra-Fructose-Free-Sugarless-German-Chocolate-Flavored-90-Chewable-Tablets/22403

If this doesn't help, you may ask your doctor to try reglan. This helps your stomach empty faster. It would reduce nausea and prevent vomiting. They will only use this medicine if you have tried all other options because it can rarely cause side effects in some people. It works well though.

Make sure you are eating enough food when taking Mepron. And try eating small frequent meals instead of 3 large meals. This will keep your blood sugar up and help your body digest it easier.

I had to eat some carbs with Mepron or else I felt sick. You may want to try adding some with your meals to see if that helps.

Hope you feel better.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend did ginger everything when she went through chemo.

I'd try to get or make fresh ginger juice (I found better results with this than tea). Mix a small bit (like 1/4 teaspoon full) in a glass of warm water. Sip it slowly. If it helps, increase the ginger juice a little more everyday up to 1 teaspoon. Some of the better health food stores with juicers can sell you fresh ginger shots at the juice bar. Again, I'd dilute it and take it very slowly.

You can also mix fresh ginger in the blender with some water, but the fibers might be irritating. That's why I suggest the juice.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ginger CAPSULES, in therapeutic dose, not just a tea -- though a tea might help, the capsules, on a regular basis can help prevent the waves of nausea.

The dose needs to be high enough and there's just no way to get that much with fresh ginger or tea. But the fresh, grated, is better than a tea bag.

You can boil a piece of ginger in a little water and make a concentrated bit to store in a jar in the fridge.

A "microplane" grater is very handy, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem on Mepron. Make sure to eat fat when you take your dose...regardless if you feel like eating. If I didn't, I would always feel a lot worse.

Try Peanut butter with your dose.

Sorry you feel so bad!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

Thanks you all so much for your comments/advice here!

I had to go to ER today. They gave me IV Zofran and feeling much better now. The sad thing that I found out that AST and ALT are both very high, 5-6 times higher than normal. Only 3 doses of mepron caused this much damage to my liver. That explains the nausea and vomiting. Dr said I can only wait for the index to go back to normal, hopefully

There is just no end to my bad luck. I feel Merpon did help with my babesia symptoms, but obviously I am not going to take mepron or malarone.

What is the alternatives?

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rainbowriver:

...AST and ALT are both very high, 5-6 times higher than normal.
Only 3 doses of mepron caused this much damage to my liver.
That explains the nausea and vomiting.
Dr said I can only wait for the index to go back to normal, hopefully

If your liver enzymes are elevated, you can do liver support to help reduce them.

Magnesium
Fish oil
CoEnzyme Q10
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Acetyl L-carnitine
N-acetyl cysteine
Milk thistle
Reduced glutathione
Undenatured whey, for amino acids

You can also do castor oil packs...several people here have posted that this helped their liver enzymes.
There is something in the castor oil that absorbs through the skin.

Ask if you need directions, or if you have questions about the liver support supplements.

p.s. Here is another supplement that has lots of good reviews.
Now Foods, Liver Detoxifier & Regenerator
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Liver-Detoxifier-Regenerator-90-Capsules/2483

It's a blend that includes a couple of the things listed above, plus others.
Look for it at iHerb.com and at Amazon.com.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

Manybites, my heart goes out to you. I can't image what you have gone through all these years. I was only nauseated for 12 days, I was about to shoot myself! Good to hear that liver will heal.
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your blood glucose level!

Looking for "hypo".

http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/23/3/115.full

Your dramatic weight loss is a defense mechanism...you are "burning fats" to obtain glucose...to do so, your body uses ALT (hepatic gluconeogenesis).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response

Surprising that LOWER doses of Mepron are linked to a greater percentage of vomiting compared to higher doses:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mepron-side-effects.html

See table #7.

Also:

http://www.fpnotebook.com/gi/lab/alnamntrnsfrs.htm

An *ultrasound* of your liver (fasting) and gallbladder (and ducts) may indicate a problem/no problem. Need to know the status.

P.S. Did you take the Mepron WITH something fatty - as directed?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

Marnie,

You just brought up an interesting question! My glucose level was at 130, very high given I was in a fasting state due to nausea. Mepron certain did its numbers on AST and ALT. I am just hoping they are going back to normal soon. I had an ultrasound done only one month ago, everything was normal. Then this happened. I really don't want to get another one. I will wait for two weeks and get another blood test. I did take mepron with fatty food.

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rainbowriver, are you taking any of the supplements I listed?

Have you tried castor oil packs?

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

New problem now: swollen, puffy and bleeding gums.I am sure it isn't oral hygiene issues. it developed within two days. Could it indicate further liver damage from Mepron? Cirrhosis?

Any further blood test to find out what is wrong with me?

Carol, I haven't. My llmd is sending me liver herbs, I am waiting for that. Thanks.

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. H. said Cryptolepis (an African herb used for Malaria), worked better than anything else for some of his Babesia patients.
Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didnt read all of above but nausea was my only gall baldder sx...went away as soon as i had the surg

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbowriver
Member # 24772

In my case, I found out that Mepron caused liver damage which caused nausea. It went away after a couple of weeks. Lost 10 pounds though. Liver eventually recovered. No more nausea.
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that your nausea is now better,Rainbowdriver. I know how miserable it can be.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rainbowriver,

Not sure if your doc explained the relationship between babesia and nausea and elevated liver enzymes.

The elevated liver enzymes are a temporary symptom -- does not mean permanent liver damage. What it does indicate is a very high babesia load. When babesia is killed it bursts red blood cells -- the same thing also happens when babesia multiplies. A very large dieoff or replication can cause elevated liver enzymes because the liver and spleen must clean up all the cellular debris from the dead red blood cells and the dead babesia. The liver and spleen are working overtime basically.

Malarone has much less mepron in it plus it has a 2nd ingredient which is an antiparasite med. It can be more effective than malarone for some people.

Whatever you take for babesia you need to start low and slow and gradually increase your doses. You should have less of a dieoff next time if you go back to treating relatively quickly.

The bleeding gums are frequently a sign of vitamin c deficiency.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement