LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Maybe some of us have chagas? Has anyone been tested for it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maybe some of us have chagas? Has anyone been tested for it?
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen these bugs when I lived in the south... It's also spread through food.

---

fyi - from Wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagas_disease

In Chagas-endemic areas, the main mode of transmission is through an insect vector called a triatomine bug.[1] A triatomine becomes infected with T. cruzi by feeding on the blood of an infected person or animal.

During the day, triatomines hide in crevices in the walls and roofs. The bugs emerge at night, when the inhabitants are sleeping. Because they tend to feed on people�s faces, triatomine bugs are also known as "kissing bugs".

After they bite and ingest blood, they defecate on the person. Triatomines pass T. cruzi parasites (called trypomastigotes) in feces left near the site of the bite wound.[1]

Scratching the site of the bite causes the trypomastigotes to enter the host through the wound, or through intact mucous membranes, such as the conjunctiva. Once inside the host, the trypomastigotes invade cells, where they differentiate into intracellular amastigotes.

The amastigotes multiply by binary fission and differentiate into trypomastigotes, which are then released into the bloodstream. This cycle is repeated in each newly infected cell.

Replication resumes only when the parasites enter another cell or are ingested by another vector.[1] (See also: Life cycle and transmission of T. cruzi)

Dense vegetation (such as that of tropical rainforests) and urban habitats are not ideal for the establishment of the human transmission cycle. However, in regions where the sylvatic habitat and its fauna are thinned by economic exploitation and human habitation, such as in newly deforested areas, piassava palm culture areas, and some parts of the Amazon region, a human transmission cycle may develop as the insects search for new food sources.[9]

T. cruzi can also be transmitted through blood transfusions. With the exception of blood derivatives (such as fractionated antibodies), all blood components are infective. The parasite remains viable at 4�C for at least 18 days or up to 250 days when kept at room temperature.

It is unclear whether T. cruzi can be transmitted through frozen-thawed blood components.[10]
Other modes of transmission include organ transplantation, through breast milk,[11] and by accidental laboratory exposure.

Chagas disease can also be spread congenitally (from a pregnant woman to her baby) through the placenta, and accounts for approximately 13% of stillborn deaths in parts of Brazil.[12]

Oral transmission is an unusual route of infection, but has been described. In 1991, farm workers in the state of Para�ba, Brazil, were infected by eating contaminated food; transmission has also occurred via contaminated a�a� palm fruit juice and sugar cane juice.[13][14][15]

A 2007 outbreak in 103 Venezuelan school children was attributed to contaminated guava juice.[16]

Chagas disease is a growing problem in Europe, because the majority of cases with chronic infection are asymptomatic and because of migration from Latin America.[6]

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a lot of research on this a few years back. There are only a few places that are testing for it. When I called, they said, you had to meet certain criteria to even be tested...like, you had to have lived in an endemic country.

I agree, though. I have seen these bugs while living in the woods of Florida years ago. I suspect I have it.

Funny though, the place I called was in the USA and they were doing research. They told me, "quietly" that they were going to prove Chagas was a much bigger problem in the USA than previously thought. They had higher numbers of positive cases than the CDC or NIH are willing to admit. No big surprise there.

I offered them to test me, based on TBI and living in the woods in Florida, but they would not do it.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW-testing is going on for a new drug. It is an azole drug called posaconazole and at double the normal dose, it is supposed to cure late stage chagas, which really has no good treatment.

I talked my LLMD into giving me a script since it is also a yeast drug and I have resistant yeast issues. I have yet to try it at the high dose for 60 days like it suggests but I have a closet full of it and it is super expensive.

I am currently taking another yeast med, Itraconazole and am responding well to it. Many of my symptoms are heart related, such as could be caused by a late stage chagas infection.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemand
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hansemand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tested.
(Clongen) lab has some pcr assays.
Beleieve they might interact with the strange bug from Arizona ??

--------------------
hansemand

Posts: 160 | From europe | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

I didn't know clongen tested for this...I may do this.
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be spread through food. I'm sure we get alot of food from endemic areas. What kind of strange bug was in Arizona, hansemand?

I have seen this bug in South Carolina for sure. I'm going to read up on this more - later today.

Keep posting about your expeiences with this drug, blinkie.

Here's the map -

-

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

FYI - Stubborn Infection, Spread by Insects, Is Called �The New AIDS of the Americas�

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/science/spread-of-chagas-is-called-the-new-aids-of-the-americas.html?_r=1

Rare Infection Threatens To Spread in Blood Supply

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/18/science/rare-infection-threatens-to-spread-in-blood-supply.html

----

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff

Chagas disease can be acute or chronic. Symptoms range from mild to severe, although many people don't experience symptoms until the chronic stage.

Acute phase
The acute phase of Chagas disease, which lasts for weeks or months, may be symptom-free. When signs and symptoms do occur, they are usually mild and may include:

Swelling at the infection site
Fever
Fatigue
Rash
Body aches
Headache
Loss of appetite
Nausea, diarrhea or vomiting
Swollen glands
Enlargement of your liver or spleen

Signs and symptoms that develop during the acute phase usually go away on their own. However, if untreated, the infection persists and advances to the chronic phase.

Chronic phase
Signs and symptoms of the chronic phase of Chagas disease may occur 10 to 20 years after initial infection, or they may never occur. In severe cases, however, Chagas disease signs and symptoms may include:

Irregular heartbeat
Inflamed, enlarged heart (cardiomyopathy)
Congestive heart failure
Sudden cardiac arrest
Difficulty swallowing due to enlarged esophagus
Abdominal pain or constipation due to enlarged colon

hansemand
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hansemand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I dont know if anybody in the US have t. cruzi.Not impossible and the number of intected persons in the US considerable.
However, I believe it is pretty easy to diagnose.
A good smear, the right procedure and a qualified microbiologoist would be able to find (probably?,not sure, the amastigote form) T. cruzi.There are reasonably reliable antibody tests too.
If there is a parasitic infection "in that area" I believe that Leishmania is a likely candidate, or MAYBE one of the not pathogenic Trypanozomas.
However,as long as none of us know about the genetic nature of the much talked ab�ut organism from F-lab in Arizona who knows?

--------------------
hansemand

Posts: 160 | From europe | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
-
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_126965.html

300,000 People in U.S. Living With Chagas Disease: Report

July 5, 2012

. . . The report was published in the July 6 issue of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. . . .

=================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9660468

Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1998 Jun;58(6):804-6.

Activity of anticancer compounds against Trypanosoma cruzi-infected mice.

Chagas' disease, which is caused by Trypanosoma cruzi, remains essentially incurable. . . .

---------
That "incurable" part is not intended to discourage as I think they have not tried very many approaches, mostly because it goes unrecognized for long and causes damage before it's identified.

Can you imagine, the average U.S. doctor who hates those who complain about being tired actually entertaining the notion to consider this as a differential diagnosis? I don't see that happening.

The insect has been seen in New Jersey - so it's not just a Central and South American problem. And, many folks do actually travel. So do the bugs - on ships, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickLYme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickLYme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently tested for it after discovering the lab I work for runs this test...I had no idea what it was before this...it's like the human heart worm. Don't have it which is good for now.
Posts: 148 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

The thing that is tricky with this illness is that it's sort of like one of those diseases that people get, that go unnoticed & cause big problems later that seem completely unrelated to a parasite.

It's similar to Lyme or syphilis in that respect. It can also be transmitted through blood, food & congenitally.

It's something to be aware of - like Keebler said - bugs travel & the foods from South America can also be infected - like acai...

I don't know many doctors who would suspect something like this.

hansemand
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35305

Sicklyme
How did you test?

--------------------
hansemand

SickLYme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickLYme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Doc. tested through LabCorp.
Posts: 148 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement