LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long on low fat diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long on low fat diet?
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Some of you may remember me from way back when - I haven't posted in a long time.

Anyway, I'm curious how long Dr Fry is having patients stay on the low fat diet (the 10 -15 g). Forever? Several months? Do people go from the very restrictive to somewhat less restrictive but still generally low fat?

I have been on a strict low fat diet (10 - 15 g)for about 4 months so far. I am seeing my LLMD on Mon and am not sure if she is going to change my diet at all.

Thanks!

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to specify I am on the low fat diet to treat Protomyxzoa (FL1953)

--------------------
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a patient of his, but from everything I've seen/heard/read, the experience he is reporting so far is that the diet helps, but when people get off it, the bug then becomes a problem. So he is recommending long-term for now.

The whole thing is a new discovery, and perhaps one day he'll have a better answer, but that's what it seems he's recommending now. I think it's 15 grams, what I remember reading. The 15 sounds so low, if 15 is not too low, 10 might be, so just be careful.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Till your hair falls out! [Big Grin]

I had to go low fat a few years ago and after a few months, my hair started falling out. Did not like that!!

I have the same problem again right now. Hope I can eat more fats very soon!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on the low fat diet 4 months and I still have all my hair. I look better and feel better, have more physical energy and can think much better too.

Yes, you stay on it for life. When people go off the diet, they relapse. 15 to 20 grams is what you are supposed to limit your fat to.

I am still not completely used to the restrictions and cheat all the time although I keep my fat around 15 grams a day. What keeps me committed to it is the benefits I have experienced. I have also lost 18 pounds even though I eat all I want.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

I would love to go up to 20! I am very good with it - I get 2.5 automatically from Omega supplements my LLMD is having me take, so I usually have between 10 - 12.5 g of fat/day in addition (for a total of 15g)

Anyway, I am finally starting to feel somewhat better but I'm not sure how much is the diet and how much is my other treatment(s). My hair looks great btw! I think my skin doesn't look quite as good since starting the low fat diet and my energy is not good - sometimes I think it's worse since being on the low fat diet. But again, other symptoms are better so it's hard to tell.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement