LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UTI question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI question
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting recurring UTIs. The Dr. says my only option now to get rid of it is cipro which I really don't want to take. I had a horrible reaction to levaquin and am just scared of this class of meds overall.

can I get rid of this infection on my own with cranberry capsules or I recently read about hibiscus being really good for preventing UTIs? It just says preventing though and NOT getting rid of an infection.

I took 14 days of omnicef and 7 days of macrobid in July to get rid of it and I don't think it ever went away fully. So now they say cipro is the only thing left.

What about septra or bactrim? I can handle those drugs alright. I have taken septra before for a UTI.

I suppose I could take a day of cipro and see how it affects me. What scares me about that drug is the pamphlet says that side effects can occur for months after using the medicine and can just pop up out of the blue.

I'm not sure what I should do, but I know I can't ignore this infection much longer. My right kidney already hurts and the pressures in my bladder is driving me crazy.

Thanks for any ideas!

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim will often work. Did they do a culture??

If you take lots of D-Mannose every 2 hrs it can kill an infection.

I take it twice a day in capsule form to PREVENT UTI's. I have IC and am very prone to them. I have not had a UTI in 2 1/2 yrs (since going on D-Mannose).

Because of my IC I cannot do cranberry. This is supposed to work for infections if you take a ton of it every few hours. I could ask a friend for the formula again.

http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-cranactin-cranberry-af-extract

I buy my D-Mannose at Swanson's Vitamins. Costs about $10 a month.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=d-mannose&x=27&y=5

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know the bateria type through culture? Have them send a culture to the lab.

Before Lyme treatment, I used to get recurrent Group B Strep UTI/kidney infections and Bactrim didn't help me. (my first symptoms)

Amoxicillian and zith have kept it from recurring.

In other words, the antibiotic must "suit" the bacteria strain. I guess they think that the cipro will kill all bacteria.

Most people get e coli and the Bactrim usually works for that.

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A month ago they sent it to the lab and said cipro would work on the 2 strains of bacteria. And when I said I didn't want to take it, she said well, I suppose omnicef would work on the one type of bacteria (can't remember bacteria names) and macrobid would work on the other.

So I started those 2 meds and my bladder symptoms got worse which is unusual for a bladder infection...usually it gets better immediately with treatment.

After 7 days, I decided to blend frozen cranberries in the Vitamix and the bladder symptoms stopped. I thought I was all better, but now thinking it didn't ever really go away.

I started Vermox on Friday and then all the symptoms came back...fever, bladder pressure, kidney pain.

They are sending the urine to the lab to identify what bacteria, but she said in the meantime to start cipro. This was yesterday, so it would be a few days before the lab can get results to them.

I had e coli AND another strain of bacteria, but I cannot remember what that other strain was. Cipro was suggested just for a convenience factor of only having to take one antibiotic as opposed to two.

I am trying to avoid cipro and they look at me like I'm so weird when I say I just don't want to take that med.

Will my infection go away with a lot of cranberry juice or should I just take the cipro?

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAXlover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAXlover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try a high dose of AZO pills (most drug stores) tonight with cranberry juice and see how you feel tomorrow??? Worth a try I think!

-LAXlover

--------------------
LAXlover

Posts: 371 | From Northern Baltimore Area | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Search Google: Berberine, UTI

& for: Hibiscus, UTI

This may be where you said you just read about Hibiscus. If not, lots of good stuff here:

Since I've been drinking Hibiscus and taking Berberine (about a month), urinary pain I had for a long time is much decreased.
-

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/30849?#000000

Topic: HIBISCUS s., Roselle � links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AZO does not kill bacteria. What happens when you take a quinolone, like Cipro? (I hate the stuff too)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This is the brand Marnie has posted a lot about lately:

http://www.goodstate.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?add=action&key=248

(1) GlycoX 250 with Berberine HCL Free Sample, 7-Day

Free Shipping (USPS) � nothing to join.

http://www.goodstate.com/product/GlycoX-250-with-Berberine-HCL-250mg-90-Capsules-/247

GlycoX 250 with Berberine HCL - 90 capsules
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, did they do a culture, I hope? What did they find? D-Mannose works with E Coli, which is the usual cause.

Also, taking high doses of vitamin C with tons of water can get rid of it, ie, 1,000 mg every hour with lots of water---or even double that.

Having had bad effects from quinolones, I would be wary of them, too. At least bactrim, you know you can handle.

Do you have any Candida going on, too? If so, that can be a contributor from my experience, and that would need to be addressed, too. If so, you could use both local remedies and systemic, like diflucan or at least nystatin. (In addition to working on the bacterial part).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

They took my urine and saw elevated WBCs and a few other proteins and something she said they find in people who don't eat. She asked if I ate yesterday. I thought that was weird. I do eat, but I'm very thin 93 lbs. Maybe that's why she asked if I'd eaten.

So they took the urine, but said they had to send it off to the lab to do the culture to see what the bacteria exactly is. We are waiting on those results, but in the meantime, she wanted me on cipro.

I do find that yeast causes bladder discomfort, so I can start diflucan again. I have septra too.

Where do I buy D Mannose? Can I get it at Whole Foods? I'll pick up some hibiscus tea tomorrow and cranberry and start the Vit C too.

Thank you Keebler for the berberine links. I've been reading all of those posts too and noticed it at my Dr's office.

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-mannose, olive leaf extract has been shown in studies to kill e coli which causes many UTIs, also solidago is good for the kidneys and urinary tract in general.

You can buy d mannose, and olive leaf at Whole Foods. I have to order the solidago online.

They gave me levaquin in the hospital for a kidney infection. It worked on the infection, but I ended up with tendonitis in my left heel which took me a year to resolve.

Have never taken cipro, but have read it causes some of the same side effects.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good about Whole Foods carrying it. Our local health food store only carries the Cran-Actin.

Go get it at WF and then order from Swanson's at probably half the cost. See above.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had recurring UTIs ever since I started abx over a year ago. I didn't have time to get a culture (weekend), so my doc's office called in some macrobid for me. It made me nauseous, so they told me to try bactrim ds.

I took the bactrim ds for 10 days and also had lots of vitamin C and some OLE. It killed it. :)

Adding the D-mannose is a good idea too.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Catgirl, what was the dosage on the bactrim? I have some septra DS - that is the same, right? I have exactly 10 days worth (2 per day) - 800/160 tabs

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm going to pick up the D-mannose, cranberry,and hibiscus tea at Whole Foods. And I already have C and OLE. Thanks!

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

My reaction to levaquin was frozen seizure, transient ear deafness and a jackhammer noise in my head and ear for 3 days after 2 doses.

My Dr. said cipro is not as "hard core" as levaquin and said I should be fine, but I don't really want to take any chances with tendon damage or any other damage if there are alternatives.

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep us posted. [Smile]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a very bad kidney infection last spring that put me in the hospital for four days. I was severely dehydrated, which was what I think caused the infection (it came after several days of vomiting).

They put me on IV Rocepin for those four days, then I switched to Cipro.

Once I was off Cipro, I took (and still take) D. Mannose with cranberry twice a day.

I had to drink Gatorade for almost 2 months to stay hydrated or I'd start feeling bladder pressure again. After that time, I could switch to coconut water. I still have to watch hydration.

I think that our bodies put off so many toxins they need extra help washing all those toxins through the kidneys/bladder. In my case, I was doing a cleanse at the time. Three years healthy, and I'm STILL loaded with toxins. Ugh.

Anyway, the Cipro apparently got most of the infection. Don't mess with kidney infections. They can be VERY serious. I can't even begin to tell you how serious they treated it in the hospital.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure about Septra, but took one bactrim pill in the am, and one at pm.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I think Six is spot on about the the dehydration. I have to remember to drink more water, especially when it's humid.

You really have to be careful with UTIs. A friend of mine let her infection linger and she ended up with diabetes insipidus. It's a life long thing for her now (medication). Her doc told her that it was from not addressing the UTI soon enough.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I agree that infections like this can get serious!! I had a kidney infection a few years ago and it was horrible. Could not even eat on Thanksgiving Day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

I am getting worried now and my Dr. hasn't called me back. I think septra is an acceptable one to try before cipro. At least, that's what it says online.

I have septra, but it expired 3 months ago. Do you think it's still ok to take?

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

So ends up I didn't have an infection afterall and I took the 7 days of septra for nothing. I'm sure glad I didn't take the cipro! My WBCs were elevated and some proteins were off, but when they sent it off to the lab, they did not detect any bacteria.

I just saw my LLMD in DC last week and he did say that these "infections" are not true normal infections. The bladder symptoms are due to Lyme - the nerves, etc. and the frequent urination is due to something in my brain that is off again - the hypothalamus maybe or pituitary? Desmopressin is what is used to help with that, but he thinks the bladder symptoms will resolve with continued treatment.

Thanks for all your help!! I am still taking cranberry though just in case.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, continue the cranberry if the acid doesn't bother you. Are you drinking the juice or taking the pills??

My LLMD told me that Lyme loves the bladder! Very comfy there!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Revisit your diet. Are you keeping a detailed journal yet? It really helps to figure out what's going on.

My UTIs kept coming back over the course of a year, and then some. I kept getting cultures done through my PCP and the hospital. None of them showed anything wrong. Yet early on, the first two rounds of abx were the only things that gave me any relief.

I know this is TMI, but I had a small amt of urine that would come out after 5 or 10 seconds once I stopped urinating (dribble). My pcp said any amt of urine left in the bladder could form bacteria. After that, even though I still suffered with UTI symptoms, I tried unsweetened cranberry juice and made sure I emptied my bladder each time I went.

I also changed my diet and avoided absolutely anything with sugar (zero fruit, carrots, starches, etc). It sucked, but suffering with UTI symptoms sucked more, so I did it (strict anti candida diet). I never did take the d-mannose. I have suffered with yeast long enough to know that my body couldn't take any form of sugar whatsoever. I know this works for others though.

Eventually (about a year later, and another UTI) I was looking through my journal and I realized that the earlier times I took bactrim and cipro, I took them with quinoa. It turns out that quinoa has lots of minerals in it, which can bind and mess with the strength of the abx. So, I don't think I ever got full strentgh of anything, that's why it kept coming back.

So a month or so ago when I had my last UTI, I ate leftovers for breakfast (instead of my quinoa porridge), and that did the trick. Now I eat the porridge for lunch, because at lunchtime I don't have to worry with it mixing with any of my prescribed herbs/meds.

The alternative milks also have calcium and other stuff added to them, so that may be something to look at as well.

P.S. Remember to fully empty your bladder. It helps keep the UTIs at bay.

--------------------

unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-Mannose prevents any bacteria from clinging to the bladder wall so take it every day, several times per day for a very long time.

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Ok, thank you. I have been not doing so great with the diet lately. I have been eating lots of fruit and ate an ice cream cone the other night!! I know, I know!! It just has been so long and this diet gets really old.

I am starting fresh this week and eliminating sugar again. I started diflucan again to help get rid of yeast if that could be causing the bladder problems.

I'll start d-mannose too. I've been drinking the cranberry juice - unsweetened. The acid doesn't seem to bother my stomach.

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions! I'll be sure to empty my bladder too. I do notice I have problems with that as well.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

BTW, get the capsules. The powder form is too much and may cause trouble.

Go to Swanson's online.. See link above.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

anemone
Member # 19995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anemone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having recurring UTI's for the first time in my life - in my second trimester of pregnancy. Two rounds of Macrobid haven't taken care of it, and now they want to put me on it for the rest of the pregnancy! Doing some research online about D-Mannose's effects on a fetus left me feeling doubtful about taking it.

I have been craving sugar and know that's part of the problem, so will try my best to eliminate it, will also try the hibiscus and as much C as I can take right now... Feeling frustrated that I can't take all the other stuff while pregnant. I do take tons of probiotics.

Just read an article about colloidal silver increasing the power of abx... I wonder if that is safe to take during pregnancy?

Posts: 29 | From Austin, TX | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Anemone,

Congratulations on the soon to be new addition to your life.

Are you being treated now for lyme? If so, your LLMD may have some suggestions for you. Otherwise,

Best to consult with a naturopathic doctor (and best if they are LL) regarding silver or any other options you may have with adjunct methods.

http://txand.org/

Texas Association of Naturopathic Doctors
-

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading more and more woman are NOT able to tx UTI with today's abx.

I've also heard from a family member that they heard a news story where a super bacteria is invading the urinary tract and abx isn't helping.

Personally, I've been a fighting this very thing since Nov. I've been on 3 different abx. I hate abx. Hate, hate, hate.

Switched to many alternatives and still can't kill it off. D-mannose daily powder and then onto capsule. Dandelion root, chanca piedra, urinary enzymes, urinary probiotics.

Even using rife freqs and I still cannot kill it off. I'm able to knock it back and then within 2 days it's built it's army again.

I'm beginning to worry that lyme or bart has taken up residence after my initial bacteria left the area???????????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, recommended dosage of chanca piedra is one per day? Have you tried higher dosages?

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Map... Which bacteria have they cultured?

Are you taking D-Mannose everyday? It is the ingredient in the cranberry juice that keeps bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.

My husband takes chanca piedra once or twice a day. according to symptoms. He follows the directions on the bottle. It is a liquid.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

My UTIs turned out to be parasites.

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drink plenty of water � This dilutes your urine and can help flush out bacteria so it won�t get a chance to cause an infection.

Urinate after sex � Sex can cause bacteria to get into your urinary tract, and urinating right afterwards can flush it away.

Drink unsweetened cranberry juice � One to two ounces per day has helped me a great deal, but you want to be sure that it�s 100 percent cranberry. The taste is very strong, so I�d suggest knocking it back like a shot.

Cut down on sugar � Bacteria eats sugar, so try not to feed it.

Limit alcohol consumption � One to two drinks a day is OK, but more than that can make you more prone to UTIs. I�m not sure why this is, but when I drink more, I seem to end up at the urologist�s office more.

Avoid synthetic undies � Or, at the very least, choose undies with a natural cotton liner in the crotch area.

Urinate often � If you�re drinking plenty of water, this won�t be a problem, but it�s also important that you don�t hold it in. If you have to pee, go as soon as possible.

Take showers, not baths � Soaking in the tub is relaxing, but it�s also an opportunity for bacteria to get into your urinary tract. The occasional bath probably won�t be a problem, but in general stick to showers.

Eat fresh fruits and veggies � Fresh produce has a lot of water in it, and it can help you stay hydrated.

Don't smoke. Smoking irritates the bladder and is the leading cause of bladder cancer.

Probiotics.Acidophilus and bifidobacteria are the two main probiotics ("good" bacteria) that can help support a healthy immune system if you're not eating enough yogurt. They're sometimes combined in supplements.

Coffee, tea, cola, and alcohol. All of these beverages can irritate the bladder and make a UTI more likely.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Tutu, they just dip sticked. I need to have them send it out to be cultured. Doc said it was e-coli and I argued the point and told him I'd been doing rife freqs for e-coli and it wasn't touching it, so he put me on stronger abx.

Yes, d-mannose has been all day every day for months now. I did order the capsules several weeks ago at your suggestion and they aren't getting it either. Doing twice the amount of dosage.

The more I've researched I'm wondering if my husband and I are passing something between us. He's going in for physical next week and I've asked him to discuss with doc and get culture.

I've asked him for months about burning during urination? Any sx and he says no. But he is a meatcutter and his immune system has seen these bacteria and killed them off for 35 years.

I haven't had a detox bath since Nov and that's a big deal for me. After all, this infection started from a casino hotel jetted tub dumb dumb thing we did.

I'll try upping my chanca. I've got uva ursi, berberine and hibiscus on my urinary herb list.
I'm so tired of swallowing big horse pills....

I could scream. Cat, parasites! oh no

Pam

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement