LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » rosacea cure?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rosacea cure?
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a 52 yr old female and have been treating lyme for about 3 years. I've developed acne which the dr calls rosacea - I guess because of my age. I think the lyme and meds have aggrevated the condition.

Has anyone else gotten acne from lyme and cured it? What do you use?

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosacea can be secondary to other stuff. How's your GI tract? I believe small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is one cause and some people have success clearing rosacea by treating SIBO. SIBO treatment involves a 10 day course of neomycin and xifaxan.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading on this site the other day person was struggling with the same sx.

I'll see if I can find it.

Pam

Here it is. Use the search button and you can find more threads from others over the years.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119350?

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they often use doxy to help the rosacea.

Be careful of the SIBO treatment. It caused a huge candida problem for me that I am still fighting 2 yrs later.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malala
Member # 21848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to avoid chocolate and coffee completely for my Rosacea to clear. When I do, it clears in about 10 days.

Caffeine from green tea is fine, and does not aggravate it. The occasional decaf is ok too.

Posts: 26 | From BKNY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I developed rosacea way before my lyme dx. Perhaps it was related. I have been taking a prescription "Metro Gel" which is actually topical metronidazole. It made a big difference for me and I still take it. I apply once every evening. It might help you.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rosacea several years before I got Lyme.

Both are inflammatory diseases.

The doxy or minocyclin that you use for Lyme will work well for rosacea acne.

I used monodox (coated version of doxy) along with bicillin for Lyme, until two weeks ago, and then my gut went.

While I was on monodox, my rosacea was much better.

These days, rosacea issues have taken a back burner seat to the urgent Lyme and gut issues.

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tolerate doxy at all, not even small doses. I'm also allergic to penicillan and rocephin.

I'm thinking of trying retin A. I have metrogel and finacia but they don't seem to be working.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2young2dieMom,
See this thread:

Topic: natural acne treatment?
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/117766?#000002

Pernox...look at Amazon.com for awesome reviews.
I didn't see what's in it that works so well.

Face Doctor soap or cream has Seabuckthorne oil, which kills the demodex mites that live in the pores.
You can read reviews at iHerb.com and at Amazon.com.

Either of these would be easier on your skin than Retin A.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 3% hydrogen peroxide on a cotton wipe once a day....it works great! BUT: it is very strong and can burn at first until you get used to it. I started off diluting my hydrogen peroxide to half strength at first. Best thing I have ever used for acne/rosacea. Just start slowly
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

I found a seabuckthorne face wash that is helping alot. I also use roc winkle erase night cream. thanks everyone.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010

hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister took fish oil and it helped. Just make sure it is one not contaminated with mercury (krill oil is a good one).
Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing up an old thread.

On Wednesday I had a red spot develop on the side of my cheek. By Friday it had grown to more red spots on my right side along with a couple new spots on my left side and forehead.

It isn't itchy at all.

I went to dermatologist who said I have rosacea. I guess I am denial about this because I am having a hard time believing her.

I have red bumps but no other symptoms. I think I got the diagnosis because they weren't itchy. It does seem like it is improving on its own.

I got prescribed 40 mg of doxy. No topical which I would have preferred to start with. Funny that 40 mg of doxy has been repackaged as Oracea.

For anyone with Rosacea, does this sound like it?

Can you have a reaction to something without it being itchy? (This is what I hope it is)

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, terv. I have DX of rosacea. But the rosacea is more like a general redness of your facial skin, due to inflammation and broken blood vessels. You often have a red nose and red cheeks - also can cause redness on chin and forehead. And when it gets really bad, you feel a burning sensation in these areas.

Heat and cold make it worse. Often a hot shower or using the hair dryer will aggravate things. My dermatologist has been prescribing metro-gel, which is topical, for years. It does work for me. But I did an experiment and stopped this for the past few months and my rosacea is coming back, but not as bad as it was years ago.

Metro-gel is also an antibiotic - metronidazole. Makes me wonder if there is any relationship between having Lyme and rosacea. I was diagnosed around the same time we think I was bitten - in 2006.

I do have some red spots mostly on my forehead that just won't go away no matter what I do. I have had them for years. MD does not think they are part of the rosacea. She keeps her eye on them (and I do too) to make sure they don't change into precancerous lesions.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosacea may be caused by a skin parasite (Demodex mites). The parasite feeds on fungus/candida.

Treatment requires anti-parasitics and anti-fungals.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if this was somehow caused by a yeast issue.

A week ago I stopped all abx, probiotics, and diflucan so I could take the CDSA test by Genova. It is a really gross (in my opinion) stool test that required me to stop all this stuff for 2 weeks.

Because of this I cannot try the 40 mg of doxy.

An internet search showed that Metronidazole cream (because I can't do anything oral) was effective. I wonder if this would screw up the stool test. If not I could try this to see if it helped.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Face Doctor soap or cream has Seabuckthorne oil, which kills the demodex mites that live in the pores.
You can read reviews at iHerb.com and at Amazon.com.

Everyone has these mites, but when people have autoimmune problems, the skin becomes inflamed.
Lyme causes autoimmune problems.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure wouldn't take anything for it right now. I would think it would mess up the testing.

I would say gut issues are definitely at the core of this.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some info on common triggers http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hmmm... most of those foods are high in histamine. I'd be willing to bet that histamine intolerance can trigger it.

And "HI" is related to gut issues.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All roads seem to lead back to the gut [Smile]
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

The gut is the reason why I am trying to hold on until I am done with this test. I have a week to go before i begin the test and it will probably be 2 more weeks, because of constipation issues, before I complete it.

I looked at the trigger foods and I did have a plum for the first time in a while. The other thing I have going on is that I am trying to reduce my HRT because of my breast cancer.

While I realize now that everyone has Dermodex, it is hard for me not to feel like I have a mite that needs to be treated immediately. The fact that I can't do traditional treatment for it is making me feel worse.

I did see that seabuckthorne is good for it and will I have to order it. Looking around more on the rosacea site I saw that tea tree oil has some promise. Miraculously I found some at Walgreens.

I tried it and it really seems to have helped. The spots and bumps have kind of dried up. Untreated areas are remaining the same. Hopefully it will keep me going until I can get seabuckthorne or start traditional treatment.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good idea on the oils. I wouldn't be comfortable using something from Walgreen's .. but hope it works.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ellen101
Member # 35432

When I was doing research on SIBO I stumbled upon this
http://www.facingacne.com/treating-bacterial-overgrowth-relieve-rosacea/

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Amazingly the tea tree oil is working very well. My skin is virtually clear since starting it Saturday. I can't use it all over my face on a long term daily basis because it is drying. However it is good until my face doctor soap gets here.

Interesting about SIBO. Since I suspect I have gut issues it is very relevant.

Thinking about it I guess I have had rosacea a while. I used to flush a lot but it was virtually eliminated when I eliminated gluten 4 years ago. At the time I found that I could reduce the flushing by taking anti-histimines.

There seems more than one treatment for rosacea. It annoys me that the dermatologist I went to said that the only one was the 40 mg of doxy.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wow... I had never heard of "ocular Rosacea."

The only problem is that SIBO treatment doesn't always work. The treatment made me worse.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

geronimog
Member # 34875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geronimog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had redness in my face for the last 20 years. I's mostly a reddish hue through the centre of my face, but it's worse around my mouth I believe it's caused by acidic sweat.

As long as I keep my carbs low, it's not too bad.

Rifaximin and other ABX make diminish it, which strongly suggests dysbiosis is involved.

However its not just dysbiosis in my case, treating babesia makes it better too.

Posts: 65 | From Montreal | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

High histamine can also make your face red. You can try avoiding foods high in histamine to see if it helps.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosaca was one of my worst Lyme symptoms--at least I think it was Lyme-related.

I tried everything to stop it, but nothing seemed to work. BUT, as I began to recover, the rosacea diminished.

Now, it hardly ever occurs.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My mother has rosacea, so one Christmas I bought her really nice face lotion with sea buckthorn oil, and a small dropper bottle with sea buckthorn oil to mix in extra with her lotion.

Since using that, my mother has not had to use her steroid metro cream. I am not making this up either. Rosacea gone!

I use face lotion with sea buckthorn oil, however, it has not helped with my acne. But, here is hoping it keeps me from developing rosacea like my mother and grandfather!

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ms dixie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ms dixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neem cream or oil - read reviews at iherb or amazon . Many have had good results with it for rosacea and acne too.
Posts: 153 | From Huntsville Al | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement