LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low D and high B12?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low D and high B12?
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this mean anything in terms of Lyme and co? I just got annual exam blood test results. Besides the usual high, sed rate, EOS, and CRP (always inflamed) everything else was fine except very low vit d and pretty high b12.

Quick search scared me about high b12 being very rare and possible indication liver or leukemia... But trying not to get scared as all the other blood work was normal.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this too. I don't know what it means though. The sublingual B 12 brought my levels up though (used to be lower). I also have low iron (anemic).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did you have low b12 Catgirl? I was never tested before... But it was high and they (well google) say it is rare.

Do you take a d3? What brand? Think it is ok to take one as part of omega? Dr. Says 3000 iu a day... I take 3 fish oil capsules a day and the brand I use (natural factors) has a version with 1000 d3 each capsule.

O

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have levels of B12 which your body is not assimilating because it is from "fortified" food or vitamins which your body cannot convert to it's usable form. Having an overabundance of this in your blood can make it harder for you to find the small amount that your body can use.

If I were you I would supplement D3 and hydroxy B12. Lay off the regular B vitamins and fortified foods.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are supplementing B12, then the number on the blood test is going to be high.

Sunshine is the best source of Vitamin D (15 minutes of sun between 10am & 2pm gives a good daily dose of Vitamin D - but this only works in the Summertime in those who live in the northern areas of the US). Fish oil is the next best source of Vitamin D.

Avoid Vitamin D2 (vegetarian source, called ergocalciferol) because the body can't convert enough of it to work...I took D2 supplements for a long time and it never did anything to increase my Vit. D level.

Vitamin B12 has to come from animal foods - meats, milk - or a supplement. And yes, the hydroxy form is far superior than the cyano form because the body doesn't have to convert the hydroxy form into something useable.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

I thought methyl b12 was the best? I had only been taking methyl b12 for about a month... And only every other day. But if I'm high should I be taking any?
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my kids has had a high B12 level. It has fluctuated from being very high to being within the normal range. Not one of her docs has expressed any kind of concern over it (including LLMD). I thought it might be b/c she is not adequately absorbing B12 but no one seconded that or expressed the same concern. She has also had low D levels despite supplementation with D3 for quite some time. I find it a bit strange that she would still have low D levels despite quite adequate supplementation. And I was afraid that she was taking too much D3! I am beyond frustrated that we must learn so much "under fire" but at the same time so grateful that I still have the head to learn about so many things.
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have MTHFR, 2 copies of C677T. This mutation makes it so I can't convert B12 and folic acid to their active or "methylated" forms. It is incredibly complicated to explain.

However, back in 2009 I tested high for B12 and folate. I just recently found out about the MTHFR and now it makes sense. I wasn't actually high in B12 and folate, I was unable to convert them to their active form so I was actually deficient even though blood tests showed high.

I am now on B Supreme by Designs for Health which contains the active forms.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that explains it. I have one copy of MTHFR gene. I noticed a month or so ago that I stopped dreaming. For me, this is a B-12 issue. I had stopped taking the sublingual kind because my new doc put me on an oral version with folate in it. I guess my gut doesn't absorb the oral stuff though.

So he told me to go back on the sublingual B-12 (started dreaming immediately). My previous LLNP told me to take sublingual form too.

Kudz, my B-12 was low until I started taking the subligual kind. I had to find one without sorbitol or any form of sugar too due to yeast issues. I was previously taking, and still do take B complex, but again, I guess my gut doesn't absorb it (not enough natural enzymes I guess).

I take 2 fish oil pills a day, 5000 IU of D-3 a day, and a 1000 mcg. sublingual B12 (natural factors), and B complex.

P.S. Take the sublingual at bedtime. You'll sleep great. :)

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickLYme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickLYme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have the same issues. High CRP, abnormal B12, either too low or too high, in addition to vit D always being low. I take 6000IU of vit d3, fish oil no more b12. I am also anemic and hypothyroid.

When I do supplement B12, my labs go too high. My Dr. has checked my metabolism of B12 and it all seems to be normal...strange!

It must be the Lyme, since multiple people are experiencing it also!

Posts: 148 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Catgirl, at night helps you sleep? I thought b12 was supposed to give you energy?

so what is the difference between methyl and hydroxy?

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finding this post immensely helpful. I have one copy of the MTHFR mutation and high B levels, so I'm deducing from this thread that I need to take an active form of B instead? How can I tell which ones are in "active" form? Any recommendations?
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement