LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Lyme be transfered through kissing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Lyme be transfered through kissing?
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been trying to figure the answer to this for 8 years now!

I got sick from kissing a boy that I was dating. At the time I went to the Doc and he ran a Strep Test and a Throat Culture that tests for Thrush and Meningitis. They also did a Mono Test.

All the test came back negative. Yet I had tongue burning and soars in mouth and cracks on the corner of my mouth.

To this day, I'm not sure what I got but whatever it was it eventually gave me Chronic Fatigue and later I tested + for Lyme.

So my question to you guys is could it be that I got Lyme from kissing? Or could it be Mycoplasma?

I'm asking now, because I kissed someone that I care about and he told me today he has the burning tongue and sore throat and doesn't feel good! I'm wondering if I gave him what I originally got all those years ago! I feel terrible and want to find out what this could be so I can help him get rid of it ASAP.

I've done soo much testing, I don't have HIV or any of the serious sexual diseases. I can't figure out what i could have possibly gotten or still have that can be transfered by kissing??

Does anyone have an ideas??

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no evidence to Date to confirm transfer of the borrelia Burgdorferi (B.B.) through oral-oral contact.
But as Lyme's related to syphillis, and since B.B. are found in saliva of infected folks (esp. before they've had extended hi-level antibiotic therapy), there always lies the Possibility of infection through kissing, especially extended &/or repeated contact of this type.

I do know Dr H., from NYC, is highly doubtful of this "vector". I don't blame him. It wouldn't be a very "effective" method of transfer, for sure.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I kissed my husband for the 10 years I went undiagnosed with lyme. And, of course we did more than kiss also.

But, he never got lyme. My lyme doc told me it is rare to get it from another person.

I even had him tested through Igenex to be sure. He was negative.

So, look for other diseases spread by kissing.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hem.. could it be Syphillis?? I don't know if I ever got tested for that?

Maybe I should go get tested....

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If either partner has bleeding gums or frequently consumes chips (if they cut the mouth), that would be something to think about.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

I don't think I had bleeding gums...

But now that I think about it we did also have oral sex so maybe that's what did it!

So can one get lyme from oral sex?

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Re-reading your first post, really, I would just drop it. There are just far too may variables.

But, as you say:

"tongue burning and soars in mouth and cracks on the corner of my mouth." (end quote)

The mouths sores seem to point to a kind of herpes, very common, actually, and many of us have this in us even before the kissy-face age. But stress, etc. can make it pop up.

Still, too many variables to sort out the past. I'd look forward.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not research STD's in general? Could it be herpes? I don't know much about any of that, thank goodness!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Keebler, the reason I ask is because I was just with someone and now they are having the same symptoms I had many years ago! I want to help them get rid of it ASAP so it doesn't become chronic like mine did.

Lymetoo - I tested for Herpes before and I was negative. So don't think that's it. It could be EBV, I'm still positive for that and maybe that's the problem. Although I always tested (-) for Mono.

Or it could be another form of candida. From my research the symptoms I described always sounded like fungal issues, although I didn't test + for Thrush.

Thanks for the input anyways.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a bunch of different Herpes...could be one that causes mouth sores but not sores elsewhere...if ya know what I mean [Wink]

Also consider B vitamin deficiencies triggered by stress...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would buy a vowel!

http://lymerick.net/Transmission-Bb-contact.htm

This is a debatable topic, even amongst Lymies. I thnk it is possible, but all depending on what organisms you have floating in you and how wide spread they are.

Do you have cavities and perhaps BB has made a new home in your decaying tooth? For some BB and company has caused major tooth and oral damage. So this all depends.

Also, let's say you get bit and transferred 5 various organisms with a single bite. You can transfer some of the buggers, but not every single species. The newly infected person may not be as sick or not get sick for a very long time, since they did not get the full load.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement