LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » $#!@!! - Stung in the head!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: $#!@!! - Stung in the head!!!!!
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got stung behind the ear by a Yellow Jacket. Ouch. I've been stung many times, but this one made my head spin literally. My eyes started watering, my whole body turned red, Chest pounding, and I couldn't catch my breath. It was right as work was ending, so I wasn't even sure I could drive. Very dizzy. I had been feeling absolutely fine all day, and the sting sent me into a tailspin. On the ride home, I was having some pretty scary chest pains, almost like the worst indigestion you'll ever have.

It's been about 45 minutes, and I seem to be settling a bit. I was supposed to work out tonight, but I think I'll skip it. I feel like I got run over by a truck full of Yellow Jackets. Why do bugs hate me so much?

Should I be aware of anything that Lyme patients need to know in regards to bee/ wasp stings?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds as if you might be allergic. Do you have any Benadryl on hand? If so, I would take some and monitor symptoms.

Liquid Benadryl works faster than the pills.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you send someone out for Benadryl, most drugs stores also carry STING-KILL

Topcially:

Sting-Kill, either swabs or wipes really help calm the pain.

If used near the back of the ear, though, when sleeping, this could work into the eyes and that is best avoided by a gauze pad over the sting (and maybe some other precautions).

The swabs come in a small clear tube that you break open in a plastic tube. VERY bright green and works so well as long as it stays moistened with this for a day or two. A band aid or gauze pad, also moistened helps the area stay saturated.

http://sting-kill.com/
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you need to keep an epi pen with you (allergic).

Maybe you could detox to deal with the venom too (lemon water)?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I am ok now, just tired and a bit woozy. Any chance that the bee venom will kill bugs?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to be VERY careful!! I kept an epi-pen for awhile and then got lazy about getting it refilled as they would expire. But if you are outdoors a lot you REALLY NEED one.

The next sting could kill you because what you had was a VERY STRONG and unusual reaction.

I have a fear of wasps because the last time I was stung was at age 15 by an black and red wasp.

He was buzzing around my head (came right at me) and I swatted at him and got stung on the finger. My whole hand swelled up for a week and I couldn't use the hand. I even got a steroid shot for it and it was still bad.

NO, I don't there is any benefit from a sting. (because it's a wasp, not a bee)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A super strong DITTO to TuTu:

"NO, I don't there is any benefit from a sting."

You need to be very careful for a while and take it easy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

no exercise?
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't exercise either. When my son had an allergic reaction to some meds he was taking, he broke out in hives off and on for a month.

Getting overheated always exacerbated his symptoms.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had heart symptoms, lymeboy. At least lay low for a few days. Make sure you are OK.

You do know about anaphylactic shock, right?

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/anaphylaxis

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I do. I didn't get hives, I just turned red! Nothing really swelled. But my breathing was fast and hard for about 5 minutes. bloodshot eyes, and then just a feeling of being drugged and beaten!

Yes, I was afraid that was my heart. It felt like heartburn, but worse. Deep breathing soothed it, and it was gone within a few minutes.

I'm wondering why the next bite could be fatal. I was under the impression that we build tolerance, but this isn't the case? This sucks! I've been stung so many times by every type of creature, including spiders (that earned me a trip to the hospital). Now not only am I ill, but I'm allergic? Dammit!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

As with just about anything, you can suddenly become allergic to it. Even abx you've always taken can turn on you.

Due to your serious reaction, I would suggest you speak to your Dr about it the next time you see him. See what he says.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymeboy
Unregistered

I definitely will. We meet on Monday.
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, shortness of breath and chest pains are suspicious for allergic reaction ...I agree. You should keep Benedryl or an Epi-pen within easy access at all times.

As for the initial pain -

Our old time remedy is BAKING SODA!

Put some in a teaspoon and add enough water to make a paste ... then plaster the paste onto the sting site.

The alkaline counteracts the acid in the venom, and pain resolves immediately!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny I just got stung too and had a similar reaction. I got bit on the hand. They are aggresive this time of year due to the shortage of pollen left.
So I did some research because I felt herxy about 20 min after the bite.
Here is what I found.

The antimicrobial agent melittin exhibits powerful in vitro inhibitory effects on the Lyme disease spirochete.

Lubke LL, Garon CF.

Rocky Mountain Laboratories Microscopy Branch, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA.

Abstract

Borrelia burgdorferi has demonstrated a capacity to resist the in vitro effects of powerful eukaryotic and prokaryotic metabolic inhibitors. However, treatment of laboratory cultures on Barbour-Stoenner-Kelly medium with melittin, a 26-amino acid peptide contained in honeybee venom, showed immediate and profound inhibitory effects when they were monitored by dark-field microscopy, field emission scanning electron microscopy, and optical density measurements. Furthermore, at melittin concentrations as low as 100 microg/mL, virtually all spirochete motility ceased within seconds of inhibitor addition. Ultrastructural examination of these spirochetes by scanning electron microscopy revealed obvious alterations in the surface envelope of the spirochetes. The extraordinary sensitivity of B. burgdorferi to mellitin may provide both a research reagent useful in the study of selective permeability in microorganisms and important clues to the development of effective new drugs against lyme disease.

PMID: 9233664 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Cleo, thanks for this. This is why I asked. because right away I felt loaded with die off, In addition to the semi-allergic reaction. I felt just wiped out and toxic. Another odd thing is that my ear (which is the ear I was stung behind, incidentally) is pretty much always clogged up. Immediately following the bite, it was horrendous, and Pulsating and felt like it was closed up for good. 30 minutes later, I enjoyed complete relief for a good 2 hours. I cannot say what that is all about, but I will say that I have only had relief one other time in 6 years, when I had accupuncture. So who knows. The accupuncture gave me about 10 hours.

However, I was stung by a Yellow jacket wasp, which is different than a honey bee. They hurt more, for one. Not sure how disimilar the venom is, but I am guessing it is different.

In any case, I have no plans to get stung again on the off chance it is killing bugs. So nobody worry. If I could give some advice to all the people of the world, right now I would say DO NOT GET STUNG ON THE HEAD, IT SUCKS!

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting...sorry bout your bites but sure hope someone follows up on possible new treatment

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that they both contain melittin, although honey bees contain more. People use apitherapy to control RA and MS.
That does not sound like fun to me though. ouch

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YinYang
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YinYang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall a video/news article of a woman who treat her Lyme with honey bee stings. Anyone heard of that too, I looked for the link to share but couldn't find it.
Posts: 274 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmnn1385
Member # 31582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmnn1385     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how weird, i got stung by a honey bee on my head the other day, and almost immediately had herxy stiff neck, sore body symptoms.
Posts: 43 | From RI | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement