LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Decent HEPA Air Purifier For Bedroom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Decent HEPA Air Purifier For Bedroom?
Polkahero
Member # 37841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polkahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the means to remediate any possible mold problems or move right now. Is there an affordable air purifier that will remove possible mold spores from my bedroom and upstairs living area (about 300 square feet total)? I did a search on here and someone mentioned a Honeywell model with a UV light. Is the UV light really necessary? I have tinnitus so the white noise from one of these probably wouldn't really bother me but I think any light (from the UV) probably would as I try to keep my bedroom as dark as possible. Thanks!
Posts: 35 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'll want one that has an ozone aspect to it. Ozone generators are a little pricey. I've had one for over a decade and have always loved it (I've had to replace it, so not the *same* one for a decade).

I have a UV light in my central HVAC, but it's more for viruses/bacteria I believe.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know the ozone ones are harmful.

From my research for my own air purifier needs, the way to go is to cover all bases. There are photocatalyst models and True HEPA models with active carbon filters and some of both types have UV lights. Getting a small model of each would cover all those bases and a sealed HEPA bagged vacuum would be useful too.

You could also get an ozone blaster/generator and blast the area periodically in combination with using the HEPA 24/7. All living things have to be out of the house though while blasting including plants.

If sound/light would keep you awake at night you could run them all day (keep door closed to bedroom) and shut them off or put them on low at night (still keeping bedroom door closed). The photocatalyst ones are silent by the way but they don't remove the particles from the air, just kill them so the dust settles. That's where the HEPA and/or HEPA sealed/bagged vac would come into play.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what Dr. Mercola has to say regarding ozone. He covers it in depth about halfway through the article. http://airpurifier.mercola.com/

I have an ozone purifier that is intended to be on all the time. I have plants and pet birds that are not harmed by it. I don't think what you're talking about can possibly be the same thing as what I have.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We went through the whole mold deal last year.

I ended up speaking to the VP of the ERMI company we had that test through,

he recommended Hepa air filters in a few rooms, not ozone. He didn't say a specific brand, ended up getting a few through Costco.

We had a mold inspection, 1 repair, did the cholestrymine powder, etc.

I like the air filters, people with seasonal allergies that live here faired better this year- also eliminates cooking smells.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Blue Air Silent HEPA filter.

Although I'm still not sure how much of the mold it removes. I think the UV ones should be good too.

Based on some info from an expert in the field on another fourm, the air filters don't really get the mold out of the air. The best way is avoidence which of course is impossible for some of us, including myself. We are here for now so the filters have to do and hope for the best.

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have been going thru mold hell for the past 3 1/2 months and have been studying all things mold related and i believe i understand why the ozone discussion above is confusing. i will say what i think is correct and later come back and put a few sites to see where my info came from.

1. first of all none of these products, machines whatever actually KILL mold...they only put it in dormantcy. as soon as conditions are right it will grow again and let off spores again...even if it is in your hepa filter.

2. the oonly way to actually kill mold is to sand or ice blast or physically demolish it

3. mold can only grow at a certain temperture and humidity window...so controlling those are important if you are living with mold.

4. ozone...my info says in order to "kill" mold, you need to blast it with above 14,000 mg per hour for an hour or 2 depending on the size of the area . there are specific directions when you use these machines about how to clean up the "dead" spores later, how to ozone ac and air filter and heaters and ducts.

AT THE LEVEL REQUIRED TO KILL MOLD, OZONE WILL ALSO KILL OR DAMAGE PEOPLE, PETS AND PLANTS

the air purifyers with an ozone component usually put out less than 5mg/pr. they dont kill mold or put it in dormancy. they do reduce odors in a chemical way.

again-i'll be back and post this info...it is pretty common knowlwdge in the industry but for some reason they are allowed to say "kill mold" in their advertising. i knew this from the sites i read that are not dot coms. but this weekend it was confirmed when i talked to an expert in the lab i am sending samples to...

it is frustrating to me why they are allowed to say something that really is not true. i remember 'false advertising' but something has happened since marketing took off and to me it just seems it is ok to lie: no sugar, organic...etc

my brother has an air purifyer with the ozone and he loves it...it does work for smells.

i have a 14,000mg/ph ozone generator now and i am glad i have it becasues i couldnt do the whole remediation at once for financial reasons so i keep cross contaminanting...i get one area clean and mold free...then i work in an other area and if i walk thru to the bath room i spread spores again. a few are ok cuz i keep humidity below 50...but a lot and i can tell area is contaminated again and i need to ozone it. i can do my 440sf clean space in 2 hrs but then it takes 2-8 hrs for me to air it out cuz i am so sensitive. others could probably come back in sooner

i will try to get the sites

oh-and it is hard to beat the larger honeywell units

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
believe me i am not one to always trust what the government says but when it comes to mold this seems more factually accurate than any .com site:

http://www.epa.gov/epahome/comments.htm

from moldinspector.com

Questions & Answers
The BiO3Blaster� Ozone Generator Owner�s Manual Version 2012 with additional instructions & precautions added by mold expert Phillip Fry
We Appreciate and Thank You for buying the very effective BiO3Blaster�!
You also need to buy a timer at a hardware store or home improvement store to automatically turn on and off the ozone generator. Expect to pay $8 to $15 for a good quality timer into which to plug an electrical extension cord running from outside of the treatment area into the treatment area to turn on and off remotely your BiO3Blaster�. Alternatively, instead of using a timer, you can keep track of the time duration of the ozone treatment and just unplug the extension cord when you have completed the ozone treatment time period desired.
For questions or topics not included in this Owners Manual please feel free to email Phillip Fry [email protected] or phone Phil 480-539-3934 USA or cell # 480-310-7970
We will be glad to get back with you, quickly via a live human being to answer your question if possible.
Your business, is super appreciated and valued by us and our ozone treatment team.
This ozone user manual is written in plain English, it is not technical, and it is not meant to be a substitute for due diligence and common sense on the part of user.
*****Odor removal and mold remediation are complex topics and this primer is only about the basics, and is not intended to substitute as a business training manual.
The "Readers Digest Condensed version for those who don�t have the patience to read the whole thing":
If you don't have the time to read the whole thing here are the basics to read before your first use.
Here are the Golden Rules of using our ozone machines for High Ozone Shock Therapy:
1. Remove the 3 P�s from the areas to be treated; NO PEOPLE, NO PLANTS, NO PETS!
2. Run the machine ONLY in an UN-OCCUPIED space.
3. Use the timer and plug the machine into the timer every time you use it.
4. Set the machine to turn OFF one hour before your returning to the treated area, every time you use it.

5. To completely eliminate the risk of over exposure to ozone during and after your ozone blasting, please use a carbon/charcoal filtered p-100 protective/ventilated face mask. If you need to enter the ozone treatment area during the treatment time, fist turnYou can buy this special protective breathing mask at Home Depot or Lowes for about $40. Some of the leading mask brands are MSA, 3M, and AOS.

6. High ozone blasting does not harm items in the room or area being ozoned or the building itself if the ozone generator is run for less than eight hours at a time in a particular room or area. Damage from ozone can occur from extended use duration (more than eight hours at a time) and, not from the high ozone concentration itself.
"NEVER EVER breathe more ozone than .05 parts per million".
How can I tell how much is safe? If you smell it and its uncomfortable its too much: as my child hood friend Tucan Sam says "Follow your nose, it always knows".

Here are some additional ozone treatment operatonal procedurs and safety precautions from mold consultant Phillp Fry, co-manager of EnviroDangers�---

1. Find out where the fresh air goes into your heating/cooling system because you will first do ozone treatment of your heating/cooling system by running the hose attachment from your unit into the fresh air intake of your system for one hour, while the hvac system is running on fan ventilation (no heating or cooling) to carry the heavier than air ozone throughout the hvac equipment and ducts.

2. Similarly, do ozone treatment of each window or wall air conditioner by inserting the ozone treatment hose into the fresh air supply of each air conditioner.

3. There are a number of very important safety precautions to take when you operate mold and bacteria killing ozone generator---

(a) There must be NO plants, pets, or people inside the house during the ozone blasting of the hvac and later of all areas of your house.
(b) You turn the machine on and off with either a timer or by plugging unit into a long extension cord going outside that you can plug and unplug to turn on and off the unit. After you turn off the unit, don't re-enter the house for at least one hour to give the ozone the time to return to normal O2 oxygen.
(c) While the ozone machine is working use electric fans to help to help carry the heavier than air ozone throughout the rooms of the house. (Plastic protect the fan extension cords).
(d) When you re-enter the house, wear a carbon/charcoal filtered p-100 protective and ventilated face mask and then immediately place and run fans in windows to exhaust interior air outward to get rid of any residual ozone. Run both your hvac system on fan ventilation and the window fans exhausting air outward for at least 2 hours to exhaust any remaining ozone gas into the outdoors. Don't have people pets, or plants in your house until after this 2 hour air exhausting process. The reason for all of these precautions is that the elevated level of ozone produced by your high output ozone generator is great for killing mold, bacteria viruses, bedbugs, dustmites, mites, pet odors, and cigarette smoke odors but not healthy for people, pets, and plants.
(e) After you have the opportunity to ozone treat all areas of your house (including basement, crawl space, attic, garage, all rooms, and hvac), use a HEPA vacuum to vacuum upholstered furniture, carpeting, all floors and walls to get rid of any deposited/landed mold spores. Then wash down all walls and furniture and fixtures and floors with borax laundry detergent (two cups per gallon of warm water) to get rid of any landed/deposited mold spores. What you are doing is using three different approaches to killing and removing mold spores and mold growth:
(1) ozone treatment; (2) HEPA vacuuming; and (3) washing and scrubbing with borax laundry detergent. Even more effective than borax is boric acid powder, mixed with either 3% or 6% hydrogen peroxide in the formula posted on our website http://www.moldmart.net, at which you can also buy boric acid powder for delivery to your home. Please read the 25 steps for safe and effective mold removal.
Before Your First Use
The Science of High Ozone Shock Treatments��How the BiO3Blaster� Works :
The BiO3Blaster�, like all ozone generators, functions, on simple, scientific principles.
Ozone is created in nature in the upper atmosphere every time there is a lightning storm.
Ambient atmospheric oxygen O2 is converted into O3 when it comes in contact with high frequency (voltage) electricity.
The way that ozone eliminates odors or VOCs (and kills bacterias & mold) is via oxidization.
Did you ever pour hydrogen peroxide on a cut?
Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, or H2O+O.
When you see it begin to fizz, you are literally watching the oxygen molecule, O, break off of the water molecule, H2O; after the reaction what is left is simple water, or H2O.
As the oxygen, breaks of the water molecule, via free radical oxidization, the microbe or germ is killed or destroyed.
Ozone is the gaseous equivalent of hydrogen peroxide; instead of being O2, pure oxygen, it is O3, O2 +O, or ozone gas.
When it encounters a germ or VOC (odor) it immediately begins to oxidize it, just like hydrogen peroxide. In fact ozone gas kills bacteria and mold 3,125 times FASTER than chlorine bleach! By the way, bleach is not a good killer of mold spores and mold growth. Learn why by visiting http://www.bleach-mold-myth.com.
The really neat thing is that within 30 minutes of the ozone machine being turned off, all that is left is simply pure oxygen, as the extra singlet or free radical oxygen has a very short half-life.
The BiO3Blaster� product line of ozone machines and ozone-injecting carpet cleaners have many benefits over the rest of the ozone machines for sale on the marketplace, but the principle difference is more electricity per cell, higher quality dielectric media, more air distribution power, higher ozone output, and durability for years of service to you.
The basic principle of how the ozone machines work is to completely fill a given space with the ozone gas, in order to saturate even the tiniest nooks, crannies, and crevices. Our machines produce True Ozone Output� or Actual Ozone Output�. Many manufacturers of ozone machines make ridiculous claims of high output like "16,000 mg/ph" but then employ only 4,000 volts to the cells. Mg/ph means milligrams per hour.
The industry rule of thumb is you get 1 mg/ph for every volt of electricity employed; so if you want 16,000 mg/ph then you would need 16,000 volts provided by your transformer or transformers. For example a 4,000 volt transformer simply cannot generate more than 4000 milligrams per hour, period.
In our machines there are 1000 volts of electricity for every 1000 mg/ph, claimed; in other words our 14,000 mg/h machine generates 14,000 volts and 14,000 mg/ph, (humidity can affect output slightly).
High Ozone Shock Treatment� v. Ozone Emitting Air Purifiers
Understanding ozone machines can be quite confusing. In order to eliminate the confusion here are the basics:
The US EPA regulates Air purifiers that produce small amounts of ozone (mg/ph in the hundreds) are used to pump just enough ozone into the room to make it smell better. In order to be used while people are present in the room, they cannot produce over .05ppm. These air purifying ozone generating machines produce levels of ozone that are considered safe to breathe.
On the other hand High-Ozone Shock Generators� (thousands mg/ph ) like the BiO3Blaster� produce extremely high levels of ozone to saturate an entire room or structure with high enough ozone concentrations to oxidize & treat the source of the odor, the VOC‟s mold & bacteria themselves.
Just imagine the difference is like treating the symptom v. the root cause of the disease itself.
MG/PH�
MG/PH means �milligrams per hour‟, or the amount of ozone (in milligrams) an ozone generator produces over a given one hour period of time. The higher the milligrams per hour the more ozone it produces in an hour‟s time.
Ozone has a half-life of about 30 minutes, it immediately starts reverting back to oxygen; in other words as soon as is it produced it begins to dissipate.
This means that there is a direct relationship between MG/HR and the size of the room or structure you can treat effectively.
The more MG/PH the larger the area you can effectively treat.
Our BiO3Blaster� ozone machines are right for any problem from small homeowner to large commercial projects ask our rep which machine is right for you!

How to hook up the hose to the ozone generator box to inject ozone into heating/cooling equipment, ducts, air conditioners, your car, etc.

Inside the ozone generator box on the right side during shipping the ozone generator manufacturer pushes in a fitting with female hose connection threads that matches the hose male threads. You give that fitting a gentle tug to the left and a 4 inch fitting will pull outward from the box. You then thread male to female. Afterwards, you can just pop out the grate drain and push in the hose fitting. The first time you open the grate, you may need a flat blade screw driver to remove the grate. Afterwards it can be accomplished with fingers only. Please watch this YouTube video on how to connect the hose for the first time--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDPnBM8N28o&feature=player_embedded.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think buying UV-C lamp, which is used in hospitals at infection units is much better option. You can switch on this lamp for half an hour and it will kill everything including mold. No living organism can resist.
Posts: 125 | From eu | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lala,

Do you have any links for these kinds of lamps? I've looked at the UV wands but decided these weren't enough but am not familiar with the hospital type lamps. Can you tell us more about these and provide names or links of ones that are good? Thanks so much!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just search UV C lamp on google, tickled
I searched in my language, so you would not understand
here is the first link google gave me in en
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/germicidal.asp

Posts: 125 | From eu | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks Lala. Did you see this though:

"UV-C is Dangerous

At this wavelength (253.7nm) germicidal lamps are dangerous to humans or any other forms of life it may come in contact with. The lamp should always be shielded and should never be viewable to the naked eye. If exposed to germicidal wavelengths humans will notice a sunburn on their skin and some may begin the initial stages of skin cancer. If a persons eyes are exposed to UVC lamps the individual will notice a severely painful inflammation of the cornea which may lead to temporary or permanent vision loss or impairment."

How would one use these to sterilize areas or rooms in their home? Back to the drawing board I guess!

Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Tickled, the lamp has timer, so you simply set the time when it should start shining and do not walk inside during dose minutes.
tickled1
Member # 14257

Where do I find the lamp itself? Just saw bulbs. Is it a freestanding unit?
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

It is usualy mounted to the wall or ceiling. I saw some on ebay, try to search which one is available for your location. (I searched germicidal lamp)
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

also look at http://www.breathepureair.com/aaw_uvsterilizers.html
tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks Lala. I'll check it out.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement