LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Great INFORMATION for NEW POSTERS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great INFORMATION for NEW POSTERS
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 4 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basic Information*

Lyme disease is prevalent across the United States. Ticks do not know geographic boundaries. A patient's county of residence does not accurately reflect their total Lyme disease risk, since people travel, pets travel, and ticks travel. This creates a dynamic situation with many opportunities for exposure for each individual.

Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis. Spirochetal infection of multiple organ systems causes a wide range of symptoms. Familiarity with its varied presentations is key to recognizing disseminated Lyme disease. Case reports in the medical literature document its protean manifestations.

Fewer than 50% of patients with Lyme disease recall a tick bite. In some studies this number is as low as 15% in culture proven Lyme borrelial infection.

Fewer than 50% of patients with Lyme disease recall any rash. Although the bull's eye presentation is considered classic, it is not the most common dermatologic manifestation of early-localized Lyme infection. Atypical forms of this rash are seen far more commonly. It is important to know that the Erythema Migrans rash is pathognomonic of Lyme disease and requires no further verification prior to starting 6 weeks of antibiotic therapy. Shorter treatment courses have resulted in upwards of a 40% relapse rate.

The CDC surveillance criteria were devised to track a narrow band of cases for epidemiologic change and were never set up to be used as diagnostic criteria nor were they meant to define the entire scope of Lyme disease. This is stated in the 3/25/91 NIH report.

The ELISA test is unreliable, and misses 35% of culture proven Lyme (only 65% sensitivity!) and is unacceptable as the first step of a two step screening protocol. (By definition a screening test should have 95% sensitivity.)

Of patients with acute culture proven Lyme disease, 20-30% remain seronegative on serial Western Blot sampling. Antibody titers also appear to decline over time; thus, the IgG Western Blot is even less sensitive in detecting chronic Lyme infection yet the IgM Western Blot may work. For "epidemiological purposes" the CDC eliminated from the Western Blot analysis the reading of bands 31 and 34. These bands are so specific to Borrelia burgdorferi that they have been chosen for vaccine development. However, for patients not vaccinated for Lyme, a positive 31 or 34 band is highly indicative of Borrelia burgdorferi exposure.

When used as a part of a diagnostic evaluation for Lyme disease, the Western Blot should be performed by a laboratory that reads and reports on all 16 bands as part of their routine comprehensive analysis. Laboratories (such as SmithKline) that use FDA approved kits (for instance, Mardex's Marblot) are restricted from reporting all of the bands, as they must abide by the rules of the manufacturer. These rules are set up in accordance with the CDCs surveillance criteria. and increase the risk of false negative results. These kits may be OK for surveillance purposes, but offer too scanty of an analysis to be useful in patient management.

A preponderance of evidence indicates that active ongoing spirochetal infection is the cause of the persistent symptoms in chronic Lyme disease.

There has never in the history of this illness been one study that proves even in the simplest way that 30 days of antibiotic treatment cures Lyme disease. However there is a plethora of documentation in the US and European medical literature demonstrating histologically and in culture that short courses of antibiotic treatment fail to eradicate the Lyme spirochete.

An uncomplicated case of chronic Lyme disease requires an average of 6-12 months of high dose antibiotic therapy. The return of symptoms and evidence of the continued presence of Borrelia burgdorferi indicates the need for further treatment. The very real consequences of untreated chronic persistent Lyme infection far outweigh the potential consequences of long term antibiotic therapy.

Many patients with Lyme disease require treatment for 1-4 years, or until the patient is symptom free. Relapses occur and maintenance antibiotics may be required. There are no tests available to assure us whether the organism is eradicated or the patient is cured.

There are 5 subspecies of Borrelia burgdorferi, over 100 strains in the US, and 300 strains worldwide. This diversity is thought to contribute to Borrelia burgdorferi's antigenic variability and its various antibiotic resistances.

Antibody titers for Babesia microti, HGE, HME (other tick transmitted diseases) should be performed. The presence of co-infection points to probable Lyme infection, and when left untreated increases morbidity and complicates successful treatment of Lyme disease.

Lyme disease is the latest great imitator and should be considered in the differential diagnosis of MS, ALS, seizure and other neurologic conditions, as well as arthritis, CFS, Gulf war syndrome, ADHD, hypochondriasis, fibromyalgia, somatization disorder and patients with various difficult-to-diagnose multi-system syndromes.

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Roses!!

Great info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

lightfoot

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from http://www.ilads.org/axioms.htmm

< The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS)
provides a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.>>

It is always best to post the source and give credit to such good work. There is lots more good stuff at their website:www.ilads.org

Their officers and directors include all the best docs.

Ann - OH

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are so right and in my haste this morning, I thought I had. thanks for posting the source. However, I think it was ok for I didn't see a copyright. But, thanks anyway.
Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to the top for newcomers
Posts: 890 | From West Frankfort, IL | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Roses, I wasn't worried about the copyright; I just wanted to be sure people knew about ILADS and how to get to their website. Thank YOU for posting their "Basics." It is so good.

Ann - OH

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

To the top!

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job, Roses!
Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!!!

I hadn't seen this one yet.

Trout Scout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 6 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much. HOw do they test for number 14?

1-4 years of treatment. I hope I am able to function better than I am now while I am on the treatment.

I wonder when that happens?

I have a positive on the 34 and a negative on the 31 of the IgM WB. I wonder what that means?

I sure will be glad when I find a lyme literate doc and have the insurance or the money to see him or her.

[This message has been edited by kam (edited 13 December 2002).]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Thank you for posting this.

This is such incredibly good info; I was wondering how to make it even more accessible to people researching Lyme. Could it be listed under a FA0 type place (Fre0uently asked 0uestions)? (Bear with me here, I do not have a functioning "kew" key! LOL!)

Any ideas on where else it might be distributed?

I was also kind of wondering how to make it available to ducks, er, I mean doctors!

Thanks again. 1-4 years - hey, that actually makes me very hopeful! (I'm more than half way there now!)

Feel better, everyone!

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kam....Igenex is the best lab for babesia testing.
Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badkitti30043
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badkitti30043     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work Roses!!
Posts: 664 | From Atlanta Ga. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brazelton
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticks are not the only means of transmission of lyme. My wife was bitten by a mesquitoe(sp) and developed a rash within a week. She was later told she had ALS. 15 months later she was dxed with lyme and treated for 7 months with antibotics.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cayce
Unregistered

UP!!!!

Great compilation - thanks.

Cindy
Unregistered

excellent info, thanks
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Practical tips for newbies....Please do not use ALL CAPS to write your entire text! It's too hard for visually-challenged Lymies to read.

Whole paragraphs WITHOUT caps is also not recommended for the same reason!

Also, please push "return" or "enter" frequently, providing lots of space between sentences and paragraphs.

THANKS! We WANT to be able to read what you've written!!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 10 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, tutu, that you have to hit those keys, the Enter or Return key for us manual key learners or old, TWICE in order to make a new paragraph. Hitting it only ONCE will just start the next line...got cha, girlfriend!!!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's RIGHT!!! Thanks!....but who's counting!?
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement