LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Urgent: Sen Blumenthal wants to hear your Lyme Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urgent: Sen Blumenthal wants to hear your Lyme Story
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this belongs in Activism but it is so important, I hope no one minds I posted it here.

Senator Blumenthal wants to hear your Lyme Story, he has set up a page on his web site....it is only available until Thur. Sept.13th. Get your story and difficulties with Lyme in the Congressional Record and lets get counted. I submitted my story. You do not have to live in Connecticut it is for everyone with Lyme or if you have a family member with Lyme.

Click on this link to get to the online submission form

http://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/lyme-disease

This is an opportunity to get counted and recognized and is only available for 3 days (until Thursday 9/13)

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Blumenthal is an old friend of my dad's and a wonderful man and a passionate advocate for all of us with Lyme. Everyone please submit your story-I can personally attest to the fact that this is a great man with the best of intentions for all lyme sufferers!!! Jess.
Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YinYang
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YinYang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious, is there a danger in submitting all of that personal contact info to the government in this case?
Posts: 274 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly, but he wants to get a count on just how big this Lyme problem is and I am willing to take the chance....he is trying to get Congress to enact laws to protect doctors treating Lyme and get funds for research and better tests to diagnose.... all the things we need.

The window of opportunity closes on Thursday the 13th.

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just emailed in my story.

Hope it helps.

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also sent mine
Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YinYang
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YinYang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Blumenthal has done wonderful things for Lyme advocacy. I tend to be very trusting with my info, but have learned (from this board) to be more cautious. I guess I just wondered if anyone had any red flags.
Posts: 274 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know, how will this information be used? I want to help but it does make me a little nervous giving all my personal info.

Any thoughts? Are we safe to do this? Any ins ramifications? Anything like that?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

I understand your hesitancy to release information to the Govt....I don't trust them as to how it will be used but I have been so sick for so long that at this point in the disease I have nothing to lose.

Sen Blumenthal need numbers, those in power still do not believe Lyme is a big deal and almost non existent in the southern US..

He needs stories from real people with Lyme to show the Senate it is worthy of bringing a bill to the floor of the Senate.

His am is to get legislation to protect doctors treating Lyme, to have doctors informed about lyme, money for research, better testing and better treatments....All the things we want. He had been very active in his home state of Connecticut before he came to the US Senate and even took on the Insurance Companies in Ct. and the IDSA

Senator Blumenthal is a member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor.

--------------------

2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can submit it without giving your real name or address.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just sent my story in. G-d bless Sen. Blumenthal!
Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks. Just wrote my note, too. I said they could use the details, just not my name.

You have to check a box before they can use your name.

I don't see how this will help someone 3,000 miles away, though. Other than if the east coast gets with it and then, in the next century, my state may consider following.

I do hope he incorporates replies from all the states, though.

Otherwise, my details may help somewhat to validate others who report similar experiences.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sweating a bit about leaving my name and address. But I really wanted to help make a difference.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I trusted him with my name and address but not the authority to publish my name (I just prefer my privacy to be in my own control and I shared some very private feelings about my reality at this time).

I don't see how our addresses for this could possibly get away from his own use.

I think the (private or public) name and (private sharing of) full street address are required for this to be taken seriously and to verify truth in our statements, if that ever needs to be traced.

In any lists or excerpts for committee use, they usually just note the city.
-

[ 09-13-2012, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest to email him or his office the link to this website and read the 800K posts over the years - that should answer any questions on how widespread this nightmare is.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submitted my story too. A little nervous about it, but it is done. Senator Blumental and Congressman Chris Gibson from NY are definitely trying to make a difference for us. I am so grateful for politicians like them.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent my story.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent mine!
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hereigoagain
Member # 17663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hereigoagain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent, praying for miracle!

--------------------
-01/11 IGeneX Test:IgM 30+,31IND,34++,39IND,41+,45++,58++
IgG 18+,31+++,34+,41++
- 07/10 RMSF+
- 05/09 CDC positive WB IgM 39 & 41, IgG 41
- 07/08 EBV+
- 11/07 CMV & Parvo +
- 11/01 CDC positive WB IgM 39&41m IgG18

Posts: 64 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hereigoagain
Member # 17663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hereigoagain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent, praying for miracle!

--------------------
-01/11 IGeneX Test:IgM 30+,31IND,34++,39IND,41+,45++,58++
IgG 18+,31+++,34+,41++
- 07/10 RMSF+
- 05/09 CDC positive WB IgM 39 & 41, IgG 41
- 07/08 EBV+
- 11/07 CMV & Parvo +
- 11/01 CDC positive WB IgM 39&41m IgG18

Posts: 64 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent mine. So what if they have my name! My insurance company has a list of my meds- not hard to figure out what I have! Really, the only way to make a difference is thru publicity and numbers!

If the public hears first hand how devastating Lyme is, and how easy it is to catch- change *may* come

Research for AIDS took off once the virus was found to infect the blood supply. I am sure Lyme will be next

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent mine too. It took 2 hours to write down the story. But, it's done. Hope it will help!

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent a two page account of MY family story late last night!

NEWS FLASH - THE COMMENT LINK IS STILL OPEN TODAY! IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED YOUR COMMENT TO THE CONGRESSIONAL RECORD - THERE IS STILL TIME!

As far as privacy concerns? Hell, we should be MORE worried that our government continues to do NOTHING about this epidemic! And that the arrogant and misinformed members of the IDSA treatment recommendation committee are allowed to DENY us EFFECTIVE TREATMENT!

My personal conundrum? Whether to check off the box allowing them to "share" my family's ugly and pitiful tale. In a late night decision - I voted YES!

People need to understand that THEY could be the next victims of this medical and legal plague!

Please - if you haven't submitted your Lyme saga to Senator Blumenthal's site, do so today!

http://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/lyme-disease

Have you lost a career, a marriage, a home, your mobility, or your mind to Lyme disease?
Senator Blumenthal thinks you have a "powerful story to tell!"

Every story is an IED detonated beneath those who would profit by our suffering!
Donate your ammunition to the good Senator, and declare your allegiance to this cause!

May God bless, and direct the paths, of those who would help the helpless!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
So that I could ask more specifically that he address the organizations' recent action, I wish I had seen this before sending my note.

Just this summer, see the list of medical organizations that have decided that chronic lyme does not exist and that on-going treatment is not warranted.

Not posting to contest the content (we know what's real, after all) but we have to know their position on this in order to make our way in this world.

I just stumbled upon this "blog of concern" (how else can I describe this?). This doctor is so against the idea of lyme but today, from a medical journal this summer -

we do need to be aware of this and this is the only link I've found that has more of an excerpt than availabale at other sites.

http://relative-risk.blogspot.com/

14 September 2012

What the family physician knows

Excerpts from:

Wright WF, Riedel DJ, Talwani R, Gilliam BL.

Diagnosis and management of lyme disease.

Am Fam Physician. 2012 Jun 1;85(11):1086-93.

Excerpts:

. . . Some persons have advocated use of the term chronic Lyme disease (Table 5) to describe the persistence of nonspecific signs and symptoms in patients with or without clinical or laboratory evidence of Lyme disease.

These advocates suggest that patients with the so-called post�Lyme disease syndrome (category 4) or antibiotic-refractory arthritis have a latent intracellular infection that may require months to years of antibiotic therapy for eradication. . . .

. . . Although controversy exists regarding post�Lyme disease syndrome and chronic Lyme disease treatment, four randomized clinical trials found no evidence that prolonged antibiotic therapy is of benefit.

Therefore, the

1) American Academy of Pediatrics,

2) American Academy of Neurology,

3) American College of Rheumatology, and

4) IDSA

do not recommend prolonged antibiotic therapy.

A recent survey concluded that 97 percent of primary care physicians in Lyme disease�endemic areas did not diagnose or treat patients for chronic Lyme disease.

(end excerpt) from:

American Academy of Family Physicians - June 2012

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home.html

You can search site with title for the article abstract but full article access restricted to members only.

We might consider calling out these four organizations as we call for the truth to emerge.
-

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can simply write that you have ongoing symptoms and how they impacted your life..I didn't mention if I was on abx-only the trouble I had getting diagnosed and how it impacted my life

We need to band together-there is power in numbers. It's easy to refute a few individuals=

thousands of lyme patients is another story

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler - So what?

Blumenthal knows full well there are plenty of Lyme naysayers, most of whom have "conflict of interest issues" with public health!

In a law review article of Blumenthal's "anti-trust" litigation, it was noted that Dr. B had testified before Congress that many of the IDSA treatment committee members were "on the take" from The Amercian Arthritis Association!

And one of our members on this board, said he had TWO joint replacement surgeries, before he learned he had LYME!

He also said there were several orthopedic docs just in his one town in CT, who were "making money hand over fist" with these surgeries. Talk about "conflict of interest!"

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I posted that as a matter of information that - still - this summer - these four major medical organizations take this stance.

It's just as a helpful note that we might use in our communication to point out their continued actions against lyme.

Just keeping current on the situation. Not contesting the content (we know the truth) - but the timing - the ongoing and current push against those with lyme.

We need to know the current events.
-

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

So submit it. The comments window is still open!

But I might add the caveat that this is the kind of prejudicial and erroneous "professional" misinformation that Lyme patients are up against!

Otherwise, I think you may just be adding fuel to the opponent's fire.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Adding fuel to their fire"?

How would OUR not knowing this & not being aware of this serve us? How would not sharing this update here with lyme patients help us? It would just keep us in the dark.

We need to know what their official stance is and the current date really matters. This is not from a year or two ago, but now. Their latest word.

We need to know this. Not planning on adding fuel to any fire. It's just about keeping up on current events. - illustrating the continued & current ignorance about lyme in the medical groups.
-

abby-do
Member # 25440

It is great to see so many responded.

Sen. Blumenthal received 100's of pages of Lyme Stories Yay!!!!!

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/9/prweb9918786.htm

--------------------

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

"Hundreds of pages" ... this is excellent news!

Thanks for posting this press release abby-do!

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! This is great news!
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for us!!!! We are on our way to being recognized and receiving the help we deserve.
Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for us!!!! We are on our way to being recognized and receiving the help we deserve.
Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hundreds of pages, that's awesome......would not have happened if lyme patients were quiet in fear for their privacy.

I saw many people Tweeting this and posting this on Facebook. The emergence of social networking among chronically ill lyme patients will be a powerful tool in changing the IDSA's view on this illness.

There will be more vocalization, communication and organization of lyme patients

Not trying to start a debate on whether you should be vocal about your illness or not. It's just further proof that the whole idea of keeping quiet is no longer working.

Hooray for Dick!

Keebler, that's a blog that you posted and I can't find any credentials(besides one is an MD) on any of the authors of any of those articles. They are probably fake and definitely meant to be inflammatory. My 7 year old nephew has a blog about his autism, it doesn't mean anyone should base there actions on what he says.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that equal to thousands of patients? I wrote a few paragraphs. I hate being negative, but I expected it would be THOUSANDS of pages! But if it helps us get what we need, then I am happy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Lymeboy - Hard to say how many "hundreds of pages" they got ... but figure this - most folks probably wrote two pages or less. So there's a minimum of 50 people per hundred.

GREAT WORK ALL!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement