LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who can give bicillin shots?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who can give bicillin shots?
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting pretty frustrated. I initially thought we'd be giving the shots, but am getting scared off because it is painful and has to be given slowly.

This is for my 15yo who has hard time with pain.
Her LLMD is in NYC and we are in Central Mass.
Ideally I want to find a nurse who will give the shot for a few weeks, until I feel comfortable learning how to do it. But not in NYC!

Her PCP won't do it. Home infusion nurses can't do it -but are willing to teach me (but I have to actually do it).

Local cancer infusion center won't do it bkz it has to come from a doctor in their network.

Maybe 24hr clinics?

I guess this is par for the course for Lyme.
racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know of a paramedic who would be willing to give it to you?

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD in the northeast wrote an order for a home health nurse to administer it. I am in another part of the country and that has worked for me.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are good ideas - thank you. I think most medical types would be afraid of liability, i.e. what if she has a reaction etc.

I called the hospital infusion center. They will do it , if insurance approves 'lyme treatment' - but they need to provide their own meds. The problem is that I already received 10 wks of bicillin LA from the insurance companies 'specialty pharmacy'.

I guess my next call needs to be to insurance company - ask them how I am supposed to know how to do this - since they have 'approved' her treatment, they should approve administration of it, or teaching me how to do it.

thanks folks,
racer

--------------------
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should have home-nursing coverage with your insurance co. If so, you LLMD's office would put in for a home nurse with your insurance. The nurse could come a few times to teach you; I don't think it's necessary for them to do it all the time.

When I was doing it, I had a friend, who is a nurse, come twice, once to show my husband how to do it, and another time to coach and observe him doing it. If you needed a third time, so be it. she did it pro bono, as she was a friend.

But you could find a nurse that you could pay a nominal amount to do it, if insurance doesn't come through. Although insurance should, if you have home nursing visits covered.

Ask the MA Lyme Support Group if they have suggestions of a nurse to use, if insurance doesn't do it.

Or you could go to the infusion center for 2 times and use their meds (assuming insurance pays for that now) and then use the rx that you received.

It's not so bad once you learn. Get the LLMD to rx Emla cream (numbing cream) and put in on for an hour ahead of time with a band-aid.

After the injection, a little massage over the area, a moist heating pad for 15 mins or so, and then walking around make all the difference, esp the heating pad. That way the pain is not so bad. It's manageable (of course, I'm an adult!).

A bad reaction right afterwards is very, very unlikely; it's slow release.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Those are such good ideas!

I called insurance to ask for 'health advocate' - they have a program which is not really that, called 'medical management'. I was always afraid to get involved with this type of thing since extended Lyme treatment is such a no-no with them.

Wish me luck - they are supposed to call within 48 hrs.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement