LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about Igenex test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Igenex test
mariana
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mariana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi:
My story started 4 yrs ago when I got a bull's eye rash and tested negative for Lyme and was never treated for Lyme. A few months ago I started feeling very sick and went to a LLMD.I tested negative on the Igenex test.Doctor says I might still have Lyme. I am taking supplements like tox-ease but no antibiotics.LLMD wants me to see a neurologist.
My question is, what would be the reason that the Igenex test came out negative and I still have Lyme?
thank you for your help

Posts: 54 | From catskills NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winni
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what i understand, your immune system may not be making antibodies to the buggers so it cannot be detected by the tests. Not to mention the testing is inaccurate alot of the time. I am a little surprised your LLMD did not diagnose you clinically? What was the reasoning for the neurologist? Do the symptoms you exhibit fall in line with Lyme?

--------------------
Winni

Posts: 150 | From Nebraska | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariana
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mariana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Winni:
I have had symptoms on and off(started with joint pain all over body) heart palpitations,dizziness,numbness in face ,hands and feet.I am now having air hunger.
LLMD wants me to see a neurologist because I've had numbness everyday since May.He also wants me to get a brain MRI.
Thanks,

Posts: 54 | From catskills NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winni
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same path I was on. Almost exactly. I did not have quite the numbness you describe but all the pain, air hunger and dizziness. I hope others will chime in here too, but you could try naturals, maybe Byron White and see if you have a reaction. Typically a reaction means a herx and its working against Lyme. So I did not put that very eloquently and I hope others will Chime in here too!

--------------------
Winni

Posts: 150 | From Nebraska | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mariana:
I am taking supplements like tox-ease but no antibiotics.LLMD wants me to see a neurologist.
My question is, what would be the reason that the Igenex test came out negative and I still have Lyme?
thank you for your help

-
That does not sound like a good LLMD. Why is he sending you to a neuro?? They know NOTHING about Lyme.

Info here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=088555;p=0

Go to the link above and read the Western Blot Explanation.. INCLUDING all of the responses to that post.

Did you have ANY bands show positive?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariana
Member # 15933

I am still seeing the LLMD but he wants me to see a neurologist also.
I will look at my tests tomorrow and post it here.
Thanks for the link.

Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point your body has probably stopped making the antibodies for Lyme.

A good doc would do a challenge test such as having you take antibiotics so your body will start producing antibodies again, then test you for Lyme.

I'm surprised at the LLMD too.

I started with one LLMD doc who missed some important testing, so I just started with a new one.

Don't be afraid to get a second opinion from another LLMD.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As other so wisely caution, the neurologist will know nothing about lyme, most likely. There are only about two in the whole U.S. who do.

Now, a neurologist can look for other things and order an MRI but, really, any scans should be ordered by a LL doctor so that the specifics can be well, specific, and a LL should READ the scans, too, when at all possible.

Not just the report but the actual images. Most doctors don't know what to look for regarding lyme signs on an MRI. And a MRI cannot diagnose lyme.

Still, if your doctor suspects there may be something else going an and there are no LL neurologists, at least then you've got the MRI.

Contact your local lyme support group first, though, and see if anyone can suggest a neurologist who may know something about lyme or go the extra mile for you.

If you go to a neurologist remember:

AVOID SPINAL TAP (lumbar puncture) not a good test for lyme.

AVOID STEROIDS as they can make lyme much worse.

AVOID Food additives, MSG, "Natural Flavors" and all artificial sweeteners. They can cause numbness, especially for those with lyme.

------------------

Presence or history of a BULLS EYE RASH is a positive for lyme. You really need no more tests. Ever. Lyme is a clinical diagnosis and if you had the rash, history, past and current symptoms, that speaks for itself.

** You should be assessed for OTHER tick-borne infections, especially BABESIA.**

-------------------

www.mentalhealthandillness.com/seronegativelymedisease.html

27 REASONS WHY A SERONEGATIVE TEST RESULT MIGHT OCCUR - (and why a "CDC" positive test is so unrealistic)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.

=============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor - starting with assessment / evaluation.
-

[ 09-14-2012, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
mariana,

So that you may get the best replies possible, I'm posting your first post from

June 18, 2008:

Three weeks ago. Bull's eye was warm to the touch

other rashes on my body (the others were not bull's eye).

temp of 99.6 to 100.1.

aches all over my body. . . .

Today, you add:

started 4 yrs ago - bull's eye rash; tested negative for Lyme - was never treated for Lyme.

A few months ago I started feeling very sick . . . symptoms on and off:

joint pain all over body

heart palpitations,

dizziness,

now, air hunger.

numbness in face, hands and feet - everyday since May.

(mariana - catskills, NY)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm so sorry to hear that you were rejected by doctors for what was obviously lyme disease and possibly other tick-borne infections, too (which is very common).

There is still a very good chance that you can get better. I hope you can find the best LLMD around.

Be sure to connect with your local lyme support groups for suggestions. Take care.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think this is your county:

Ulster County Lyme Disease Support Group

Call 845-246-2429 email: [email protected]

Meets 4th Wednesday each month, 6:30 pm (Call to confirm)

Hudson Valley Sudbury School - 84 Zena Road Kingston NY 12401

Sounds like there are many others in your same position:

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/ulster-county-lyme-disease-hearing.html

Sixty chronic Lyme disease patients filled the legislative chambers in Ulster County, NY, decrying lack of care for their illness.

Lyme sufferers push for better care - Ulster Legislature hears of treatment shortfalls

By Michael Novinson - Times Herald-Record

August 1, 2012

Scroll down to see article.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20120801%2FNEWS%2F208010327

Original article site - see 12 reader comments here, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
www.LymeDisease.org

Lyme Disease.org - Education & Advocay

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=277&Itemid=368

LDA Doctor Referrals

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/newyorklyme/

New York Online Lyme Support

- ask for help here regarding finding the best LLMD, to find out more about the doctor you're seeing now, and how to find the best neurologist for MRI, etc.
-

mariana
Member # 15933

Hello :

Thank you for all the information provided.
Re: the neurologist. I think LLMD is not sending me there for Lyme but for other tests.
I've been seeing LLMD since April and he gave me 2 supplements to take( not sure if I am allowed to write here which ones they are) and that's it.
The doctor does not talk too much but writes down a lot.
Here are the results from Igenex.
Everything negative except for the IgM Western blot: it is positive on the 41 and 66.

Thanks

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mariana:

The 41 band indicates exposure to a spirochete bacteria (lyme, syphilis, weils, maybe a few others). It is antigen which targets the flagella of a spirochete.

From my reading 66 is not specific to Lyme either.

At least you know you've been exposed to a spirochete. If you have never had the antibiotics I'd guess (but I'm not an MD) you still have the underlying bacteria. I think your on the right track that it is Lyme.

My daugher's first test only had 41 as a positive. It took 6 months of meds and she then had 34 as well as a couple of indeterminate (all lyme specific). She too was never positive as when ever she had 2 positives at the same time they were on the different measures (IgG vs. IgM).

You may need to see a new LLMD.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a LLMD and he also had me test for MS, due to the neuro symptoms I had. He is a valid LLMD, but wanted to insure that something else was not going on. Not incredibly unusual. Better safe than sorry, especially if Igenex didn't pick up anything, although you can do a test dose of antibiotic and then retest.
Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can see that llmd might send to neuro to rule out stuff and cover his butt

however...no abx at all??? i think you should share the name of the llmd with someone on here who has been here awhile---do it with pm---all docs who say they are lyme literate are not

i raised my kids in the hudson valley and know many docs there-id be glad to talk to you about llmds if you pm me

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariana
Member # 15933

I agree that I should see a neurologist to rule out other diseases.
No, the LLMD did not give me abx.Maybe because he's not sure I have Lyme, I dont know.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement