LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone improved on rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone improved on rifampin
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I searched and it seems there are a lot of herx type questions when people start rifampin.

My LLMD wants me to add this to my current meds

zith
omnicef
cryptolepsis
artemisinin

now Rifampin for Bart

Is it typical to stay on all of these? Has anyone IMPROVED from rifampin or is it just more hell?

Thanks for your input

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am improving on rifampin. More relaxed, I've had more energy.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did nothing for me, but I think my dosage was too low.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
surprise
I am glad to hear that. I read some of your previous posts and it seemed like the herxing was pretty bad.

My llmd says at least 2 weeks of really bad herxing.
I don't know how I will do that, but if I know it is worth it...that will make it much better

Thanks for your input hoops

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on day 5 of Rifampin.

Also upped my Byron White and increased my Nystatin at the same time.

Day 5 at full dose and I am getting what I always attributed to Babs symptoms - minus the sweats - no Babs sweats anymore!

Anyway, my symptoms since starting Rifampin are;
*Occipital Neuralgia flare up
*Severe jaw pain
*Feels like someone poured boiling hot water on the top of my skull
*Head feels numb and internally swollen
*Top of head REALLY sore
*Pain radiating into front of head /behind eye - like sinus stuff
*Achilles sore - both
*Headache/pressure

I am also on Doxy and Plaq. with lots of supp.'s. Finished Babs treatment a few weeks ago and now starting on Bart. If Babs symptoms come back I will be adding back Zythro and ART.

I have no idea what symptoms are Bart as I never really thought I had that.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Rifampin, while continuing the Bicillin shots I've been on for months, also on Samento drops and Diflucan.

Felt the herx w/rifampin- doable, but let me know I had Bartonella left/back-

But then added Levaquin on day 5 of the Rifampin- that's when I went overboard- tried to tough out both together

for another 5 days, then said forget it-and just discontinued the Levaquin.
And now having better days (on full dose rifampin 2x a day)

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes...huge!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin gave me my biggest gains by far.
Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1 for substantial improvement on rifampin [Smile]
Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love, love, love rifampin. Like Joysie, I had my biggest gains on this. I explain that I have gone from feeling like a sick person, to feeling like a normal person who sometimes has some weird symptoms.

I still have rib pain at times, low grade fevers when overtired, and wrist inflammation. Otherwise, I am feeling VERY close to normal.

I am a teacher, and my students and colleagues have all commented that I appear to be myself again, with seemingly limitless energy in class and staying on top of my work.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to provide your encouraging responses.

I have a couple of questions

1. How long did it take to feel positive effects?
2. How badly did you herx?
3. Did you have a positive bloodtest for Bart?
4. What symptoms do you feel it hit?

Thank you again. This makes me feel so much better about using it!

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i herxed too bad with full dose-i became suicidal. i had to break pills into crumbles...take a tiny piece then another and have a friend watxxh me closely. in 2 weeks i got up to full dose and then it was easy. i think i was n 4 months. not sure when i saw improvement was it was very dramatic...lumps and abd pain gone

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the worst herx of my life because I started at the full dose.

So I started with 1/4 dose ea day and built up by 1/4 dose ea week. At full dose now and doing MUCH better.

I did not have a positive Bart test, but I have a Bart rash on my arms.

I started feeling better on Rifampin pretty quickly once I got the dosing straightened out--a couple weeks on full dose.

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took rifampin with doxy. I felt better on it in three days than any other med combo I've been on. It hit lyme and bart for me. We are all different though. It's really hard on some people. My herxes were normal when I was on it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin did nothing for me, but then I don't think I have bart.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. How long did it take to feel positive effects? 3-6 weeks in little fits and starts.

2. How badly did you herx? I had a miserable first three weeks with fatigue, horrible headaches, increased twitching, pain along my temple and cheekbones.

3. Did you have a positive bloodtest for Bart? No, never.

4. What symptoms do you feel it hit? Brain fog/derpersonaliztion, muscle twitching, extremes of anxiety.

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

1. How long did it take to feel positive effects?

I was on it last year for only 4 weeks- at week 4, I felt amazing, and my old LLMD then pulled me off.
This time, week and a half.

2. How badly did you herx?

Doable- I incorporate different things for detox daily- I could function.

3. Did you have a positive bloodtest for Bart?

Yes- high positive for Bartonella henselae- have had it at least 15 years untreated.

4. What symptoms do you feel it hit?

Anxiety! Feel calmer. Neuro- not as snappy. More energy
(back to walking outside.)
Not gone yet tho- I need more work on Bartonella. It's a huge player for me.

Hope to stay on rifampin for a good while, talking to LLMD in a few weeks about adding to it for more Bartonella coverage

as adding Levaquin to it was a no go.

--------------------
doing okay!

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Awesome! Thanks so much for your responses

Haven't filled the Rx yet but I will today. I just worry about all of this on my liver.

How about cognitive issues. I feel like anxiety is related to meds/herxing for me. I suppose with more energy I will think clearly.

Does it hit brain fog/memory/executive functioning and organization type issues?

Thanks again, I feel more hopeful about this because of your reponses.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Yes on the brain fog, alertness, etc. I was on it the last time for 16 months with no liver issues.
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Joysie
Thanks so much. For some reason I am feeling a little bit hesitant about starting it. Dropped it at Pharmacy today.......Guess I will start tomorrow.

Cross your fingers for me.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! I'm 24 hours into Mepron.

It herx so good. [bonk]

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Garden
Good luck to you.

I couldn't do Mepron at all. I hope it works for you and that the herx is mild and short lived.

Take care of yourself

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt mildly better after about a week. I felt measurably better after 4, and significantly better at 8 weeks.

I did not herx too badly. I had some pain and twitching (calf muscles), but not as severely as others describe.

I never had a positive bart test.

Primary improvements: brain fog, exhaustion, muscle twitches, feeling like a sick person.

I will say that I have had more pain than I used to in my ribs and my wrists. As my other symptoms have gone, the last one left has been more noticeable, which is inflammation.

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement