LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » plan B emergency contraception and Lyme treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: plan B emergency contraception and Lyme treatment
jamie2012
Member # 33502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamie2012   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for such a personal question, but i was curious if anyone else was ever in this situation.

My boyfriend and i had sex and the condom slipped. Took Plan B withn 24 hours but I know antibiotics make birth control less effective.

I asked the pharmacist but she just said yes it could make it less effective but don't stop antibiotics.

I'm on 1000mgs ceftin, 250 zithro, 1000 flagyl per day....Do you think the plan B will still work?

I've been so upset...i'm suppossed to start iv soon and i'm worried...i'm too sick to be pregnnt.

--------------------
JLS

Posts: 27 | From trenton, nj | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to offer a hug ..... I do not know if the plan B will still work but just try and relax.

I know hard when your sick and scared.

I would call my gyno on Monday and talk to her about it.

In the mean time breathe. One step at a time until you know for sure [Smile]

Keep us posted

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Why be sorry for a personal question? That's life, an on-going Q & A session. And this is a very important question that really should be included in basic treatment education of "Lyme 101" for all women.

What does your packet insert read?

As with birth control pills, it is only SOME antibiotics that can negate the action.

Still, it sure does sound like the pharmacist is very clear about that "yes" - did she know which one you are taking?

But I am concerned with her advice to not stop antibiotics if they counteract the Plan B. The need for action in an immediate situation usually trumps a chronic one.

I'm not sure she understands that you are taking antibiotics not for an acute infection but for longer.

If you just took it today (or even in the past week?), I would not take any more antibiotics today (and maybe for the next few days or a week? depending on the way the Plan B works)

until you can talk to a doctor - tomorrow - or find the definitive word through a s couple different reputable professional medical websites today.

Read the package insert but also to to the manufacturer's website and read there - likely it is detailed there how long the medicine is working in the body and how long the precautions should be considered.

You may be able to switch during this interim period from antibiotic to garlic capsules for some help (if that would not affect the medicine, but do check).

Take care.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Google:

[the manufacturer's website] and find their Plan B link.

If you already took Rx and discarded packaging, call the pharmacy where you got it and ask the brand name you got.

You could try cross searching but a whole lot of "not professional" sites would have to be sifted from the lot. You can't even trust all the sites that appear to be medical as many are not, really. Some are just pop public discussion sites that appear to be "medically" run.

Search:

Plan B, ceftin

Plan B, flagyl (or metronidazole)

Plan B, azithromycin
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler you always have great technical advice [Smile]

I can never wrap this foggy brain like that [Frown]

I'm just like hugs and love lol

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Well, I've tried to search a bit but I have to stop now. I am shocked, just shocked, that I could find no reference at all at one (the only?) Plan B site below. Zero reference to antibiotics or drug interactions, precautions.

They DO have a phone number, but it's a recording - it went on and on with no real detail and I had to hang up after 30 seconds because the voice hurt my ears.

http://www.planbonestep.com/

Plan B One-Step� (levonorgestrel)

If you have questions or need more information about this product, call our toll-free number, 1-800-330-1271, check out this website or ask a healthcare professional.

http://www.planbonestep.com/pdf/PlanBOneStepFullProductInformation.pdf

Six-page pdf

Highlights of Prescribing Information

[This is of NO HELP with the question, either. I can't believe they don't even have as much detail as this from a university health center site, next link.]

=====================================

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/plan_b_contraception.html

McKinley Health Center

Excerpt:

No studies have been done on Plan B One-Step and the interaction with other medications.

However, for women taking daily progestin-only birth control pills there is a theoretical decrease in the effectiveness of the birth control pill when a woman is on

certain anti-seizure drugs (Dilantin, Mesantoin, Peganone, Felbatol, Tegretol, Phenobarbital),

or on RIFAMPIN, used to treat tuberculosis.

No specific interactions have been noted with concurrent antibiotic use. It is not known whether the efficacy of Plan B One-Step is affected by any of these medications. . . .

-----------------------

But I'm not happy with that, either.

I know I've read that some antibiotics can negate the effect of birth control pills.

Why it's so hard to find the answer to this question at the manufacturer's site is just ridiculous.

If you stop your antibiotics for a day (or how ever long might be suggested by your doctor) I wonder if you might need to take another dose of the Plan B the next day after antibiotics have cleared your system? You'd need to know when they would clear, of course.
-

chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamie, I have been in this situation. I was on antibiotics and had to take Plan B and it still worked for me. I found however that the Plan B itself made me feel so sick that I no longer would take it.

I have also been pregnant while sick with lyme but I did not have the child, I miscarried which was a blessing in disguise as my body could never handle having a child right now. keep us posted. Try to relax, although I know how tough it is. All the best to you. Jess.

[ 09-16-2012, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: chastain ]

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's great to hope for the best but I really like to have all the science I can find so I'm very clear on the action that will be required (if any).

I like to say calming things like it "may" be okay, "probably" a "good chance" of it still working . . . all that is a kindness but not necessarily science, biology or fact.

For the best protection, you may need another dose of the medicine once the antibiotics clear your body. Or not. It's certainly a question that needs an answer.

I'm not comfortable with the first pharmacists reply: (paraphrased) "yes, the abx can negate the Rx" but "don't stop the abx." Well, then how in the world will you get the best protection from Plan B, then?

You need to find out how to get the best protection possible.

Get professional advice. Be as certain as possible. Still, also let your body be peaceful as you proceed, try for some humor along the way, too. You don't deserve to go through turmoil here and I'm sorry it's so hard to ferret out the details.

Take care.
-

jamie2012
Member # 33502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamie2012   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for all the responses. I did search online for info but didn't really find much.

Just very vague statements like there is no known drug interactions with antibiotics and could make it less effective.

Pretty much what the pharmacist said. Sex happend monday night, I took plan b on tues and I did skip antibiotics that day but start again on wed. I prob should've skipped a few days of abx, but figured it was so built up in my system anyway.

I hope it worked...I didn't feel sick or anything from it, but I did go to sleep soon after taking it. Sorry Jess to hear about your misscarrige....must've been very hard.

Thanks again everyone you are of great support.

--------------------
JLS

Posts: 27 | From trenton, nj | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, I thought today was the critical day. Still, good to get these questions sorted out, anyway.

Well, after a week's time has passed, and with the changes you did make to your abx protocol, now does seem the time to say:

this should work out just fine, then. Of course, with a woman's body, it's still good to just pay attention for any changes.

One thought I had after posting above. Had the antibiotics been prescribed for STREP infection, it would not have been safe to stop the abx in that case.

Just in case others read this, STREP can be very serious and work very fast - and some strains can turn deadly very fast.

Same with some septic shock infection situations and the required antibiotics. Never mess with that.

There are surely other acute infections that require consistent antibiotic therapy, as prescribed.

Previous comments were just in the context of on-going treatment for chronic lyme.

I don't know why I did not think of this before:

Call Planned Parenthood. They will surely have the best available information for you so you know for sure from this point forward (regarding Plan B and certain Rx interactions - not regarding lyme treatment during pregnancy, though).

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/contact-us.htm

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Jess,

Indeed, what a tender experience. Your wisdom and philosophical attitude helps, I hope but also know that any yearnings for motherhood in the future are quite possible.

Many women who have reached remission (and some who were surprised even before then) have delivered healthy babies

after being under the care of a knowledgeable LLMD all during pregnancy, and how to assess the baby at birth for any care that may be needed.

There are several who come back to post that all is well with baby.
-

chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. Thank you as well Jamie. I appreciate it. Jess.

[ 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: chastain ]

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement