LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cold sores -what worked for me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold sores -what worked for me
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I would share

Over the past 5 years when I am run down, get a cold or take diflucan I get cold sores on my nose.

I have tried everything from internal meds and topical creams but this seems to be the most effective thing I have found yet, for me

As soon as I feel the slight tingle I take Lysine 3 times a day and Valtrex once a day but

This week on Thursday I woke up to a breakout already

Since Thursday I have taken Lysine 3 times a day
One Valtrex a day
And " several" times a day I apply Neosporin to the blisters

Today is Sunday and there is only the SMALLEST trace that anything was there

For me they would last a minimum of 7 days

Hope this helps someone [Smile]

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, lysine does the trick. In our house, we have taken as many as 6 per day for the first day or 2. Then a lot less for remaining days.

The sooner you start the lysine, the less chance it will even develop into a cold sore.

Lysine was discovered as a treatment for genital herpes years ago. So, now it is readily available everywhere in the vitamin section.

I only get a cold sore if I eat too much chocolate or nuts or other foods high in argenine. A lot of argenine allows that cold sore virus to come out of domancy. So, for those like me, take lysine at Christmas when you start eating fudge and other chocolate and nut treats. This way, the cold sore doesn't even start.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are heperes, Zovirax (Acyclovir Topical) helps. It's about $9 in UK drugstores but it's more expensive here in the US. You also need a prescription here. If you have a friend or relative in Europe - you may be able to ask them to get you some...?

Monolaurin may help. It's anti-viral. Also camphor & ice topically can help, too. Carmex has camphor in it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happydaychick
Member # 37799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happydaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info about lysine. I will try it, especially as a preventative measure.

Valtrex is my wonder drug... I never go anywhere without it! As long as I catch the cold sore early, it prevents an outbreak..or at least makes it so it is only a really small blister that is not visible to people.

Posts: 80 | From New England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I permanently eradicated a life-long residual herpesI lip-sore infection! It is GONE FOR GOOD.

I completely cured it by taking LOMATIUM. Lomatium dissectum, a native of dry western plains, in the parsley family. It's an anti-viral herb that saved the Washoe Indian tribe from the 1918 pandemic flu.

It's easy to find and buy on the internet.

PollyPolygonum

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to check into this Lomatium

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder. It may be good to have around for other viral issues like the flu, etc.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meadow_1985
Member # 38751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meadow_1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi amyb,

I haven't had a cold sore for a lot of years but I still remember how awful they are.

So my treatment for them may sound crazy for you but that is what used to help me to get rid of them.

What you need is a tooth paste. No matter which brand. They all works. Just put a small amount

of the tooth paste on the cold sore, preferably before bad and it will dry away.

I know this is kind of crazy but it worked for me and a lot of people I know.

By the way I am not American and in my country we tend to use alternative medicine before we use pills. So I would recommend you do that rather than pills.

Take care. Hope it works!

Posts: 17 | From san francisco | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pamoisondelune,

Some questions about lomatium. Did you start taking the lomatium when you had a cold sore or were you without symptoms? Wonder whether it matters. How long did you take it and how many drops?

A comment on iHerb says that it is also good for Epstein Barr.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymenotlite--- Actually i don't remember. I could look up my notes, about 3 years ago.

I started taking it for lyme. After about a week of taking it probably 10 to 30 or 40 drops at a time probably 1 to 3 x/day, The EVENT occurred:

The EVENT: a raised perfect circle formed above the upper lip (the area where i had been getting a lot of cold sores). This is the LOMATIUM welt. LOMATIUM is famous for causing welts.

It looked to me as if all the viruses had gathered into a circle and died. After that, i never again had any hint of cold sores, no prodromes, no matter how much chocolate i eat.

I continued taking Lomatium for a year for lyme, but i don't think it did anything for the lyme.

Steven Buhner says it is strong herb, only take it for a month.

---PollyPolygonum

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I usually only get about one cold sore a year in the winter but I hate them. I'm going to try this. The more dead herpes the better. I had to deal with EBV.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement