LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is the cause of anxiety?!?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the cause of anxiety?!?!
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 5 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have derealization bad and it's not getting any better! Over 3 years of treatment and nothing no change!

I understand that anxiety is the underlying condition that causes derealization.

So I'm trying to understand what is going on inside my body to causes anxiety that creates this feeling of derealization, are the adrenals on overload due to Lyme/Babs/Bart?

This derealization feeling is unbearable to live with. What can I do to alleviate this sx?

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
derk diggler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for derk diggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im right there with you, same amount of time also, we need relief from this, anyone????????????????????????

--------------------
+++++++
do i have lyme, please comment, derealisation,anxiety,floaters,hypertension,tinnitus,dizziness,minor aches,igenix results,igm,**83-93ind,igg**41++ what do u think,please comment

Posts: 195 | From california | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaba, Magnesium...for me, when it gets horrific, I need a benzodiazepine.

It's a scary, scary feeling, but it's a normal reaction when the brain is too overwhelmed by whatever...stress, inflammation, etc.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont really know. i think it might be Bb or other bugs in the brain. you might get some answers if you read stuff by robert bransfield

he is a psychiatrist that believes much mental illness comes from microbes. he has a website and has published a lot on the subject

he is lyme literate as well.

for me (and my mom who had lyme before me) anxiety was an issue. she never got dx or tx and the anxiety was horrible. she would just shake. doctors finally really doped her up and what worked was huge doses of vistaril

when i started having early morning waking and i was just shaking and scared for no reason i started taking the same drug at low doses and it has kept me ok. i take between 25 and 75mg at night and it helps me sleep and keeps anxiety away.

i only had derealization for a short time while herxing from bart and i never had the feeling brain was burning or about to blow up like some describe

if you try the vistaril it has to be the real one-not generic. generic has one ingredient different. it s an old drug and many docs dont know about it but it is worth a try

good luck

http://www.mentalhealthandillness.com/lymeArticles.htm

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about this, but I recall reading that the creation of nitric oxide in us by Lyme disease can cause anxiety.

Interestingly enough, it was a homeopathy remedy, pulsatilla 12x, that was the strongest antidepressant I ever tried!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My depersonalization and derealization is back full force since treating babs. I absolutely hate it and I think bart and babs are the main culprits when dealing with anxiety or other psychiatric symptoms.

I can do breathing exercises, yoga etc and it does help some. I don't think we can pinpoint any one single cause. Part of it is from these darn bugs. Our nervous systems are inflamed. I've heard others suggest it is from neurotoxins.

What about a mineral imbalance? Had that checked out yet?

I also think another big part is the stress we deal with in trying to treat this awful illness.

I'm sorry. I do know what you are going through. It sucks.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is going on inside your body? It is in the central nervous system, enough said.

This was one of my worst symptoms and is all but gone with treatment. Another friend of mine had neuro Lyme as well and she said this was her worst symptom. Hers also went away with treatment.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you hit on something with the adrenals. Try upping your vitamin C, salt, more rest, and some adrenal supplementation. Gaba too. Keebler has great info on adrenals.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KPU treatment helps anxiety

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Dr H in NY treat KPU?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does ashwagandha have any abx interactions? I could find any.

I'm going to give that a try for adrenal support.

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you describe your derealization? I've suffered from terrible anxiety with this disease. At times it didn't feel like I could go on. I've had a little break 4-5 months into treatment but am soon changing meds so don't know if it will return. It's such a wonderful beyond words feeling when it lifts temporarily! I pray we all are free of this through treatment.
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

been: ashwagandha is one ingredient in Adapten-All that my LLMD recommended. I take it with my other supplements, about an hour away from my antibiotics.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lax mom:
Does Dr H in NY treat KPU?

He didn't four years ago when I was seeing him for treatment, but things change, so I don't know.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@jlf2012

It feels like I'm in a dream is the best I can describe it. My perception is some how affected so the world around me looks surreal.

People look strange and place look different even though I know the people and places very well.

It feels like I'm on auto-pilot just going through life w/o really living it. I feel like I'm watching my life as though it's a movie, not reality...

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Not to discount but, really, that is very common and just goes with lyme & the other tick-borne infections.

What causes anxiety for those with lyme?

Toxicity of the infection(s), heavy metals, parasites - and the system / organ stress or damage.

The toxicity of lyme can affect the coating around the nerves, too (myelin sheath). GREEN Veggies help, etc.

If any one is given toxins, they will feel ill and all kinds of things can spiral out of that. Lyme is one of THE most toxic infections on earth.

so, as we treat we also must support and protect the organs that help us move it all along.

What helps: Magnesium, Fish Oil (OmegaBrite), liver and adrenal support. GREEN veggies galore.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

LL ND (naturopathic) link here, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

THE BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME - details toxicity

---------------

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

When To Suspect Lyme Disease

(and how to make sense of symptoms during it)

� by John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

---------------

http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/

THE HUMAN SIDE OF LYME

- explores the neurological and toxic ways that lyme and other tick-borne infections can affect emotions, thoughts and behavior - and psyche.

----------------

Each of the articles above help in our understanding of what's happening to us. Be sure to then go back to "what can help" with supplements and life style.

Ultimately, when the infection(s), parasites and heavy metals are adequately addressed, this really gets better.

There are many SUCCESS & PROGRESS STORIES:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/15820
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great description, Been:

"I feel like I'm watching my life as though it's a movie, not reality..."

The last time this happened to me was when I was hungry (my blood sugar was low, stomach gurgling). I was driving home from the pharmacy and I felt like I was watching myself drive (like I was watching a movie), but I didn't know where the person who looked like me was going.

Then, I started to freak out and flashed out of it (kind of like just blinking out of it) and didn't know where I was. It really freaked me out because I was driving and easily could have crashed.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

For me it's like the opposite of deja vu. Deja vu= unfamiliar situations feeling familiar, unreality/derealization= familiar situations (everyday living) feeling unfamiliar.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. V S of PA has an excellent website about these neurological symptoms - she is a psychiatrist.

http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/

Please see the tab on the left hand side of the page entitled "Lyme and panic attacks."

This was the first symptom my Mom suffered, just a few months after she was bitten. It is a sign of neurological involvement. (And abx that will cross the blood-brain barrier are indicated as the best treatment.)

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Wow, AuntyLynn that was a great website.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lax Mom - Glad you liked it - I sure did!

Apparently Dr. S had Lyme, so she is intimately acquainted with the problem!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be very careful of supplements that promise to "boost mood" as they may be too stimulating for someone with lyme and trigger anxiety or panic attacks. "Support" is what we need, not "boosting" of anything.

The supplement L-Glutamine can cause anxiety, too. And be sure that you are not taking any supplement with added Phenylalanine. That's like rocket fuel to those with sensitive adrenals.

Many food additives can cause anxiety, too:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors

See the post:

Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine
-

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Good point Keebler -

Aspartame - as in DIET SODA! Not only is it an excitotoxin, it is also GMO!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Nothing will send me flying to the moon faster than a trace of aspartame. I just learned the hard way to never eat food others prepare because they often don't pay attention to what they put in it.

Also be aware that SEAWEED can trigger anxiety. It contains a natural MSG. Same with even gluten-free soy sauce: MSG. And MISO soup.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
All the causes and helpers aside, sometimes we do need to just acknowledge that lyme has changed so much about our bodies & our lives. Who wouldn't be taken aback, really?

I think it's important to be able to be at some kind of (something) with that. I can't call it peace or acceptance and we have to move past shock and give our emotions and realizations some kind of voice.

Really, quite often I can relate to:

The Scream (Munch)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream

Excerpt:

. . . rendered by Munch as a poem, which he hand-painted onto the frame of the 1895 pastel version of the work:

I was walking along a path with two friends � the sun was setting � suddenly the sky turned blood red �

I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence � there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city � my friends walked on,

and I stood there trembling with anxiety � and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.[9] . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Another way to deal with trepidation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZujYUcY5xc

Mr. Bean Goes to the Swimming Pool
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement