LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone overweight who started losing weight with Bartonella treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone overweight who started losing weight with Bartonella treatment?
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Rifampin and Clarithromycin for suspected Bartonella two weeks ago and have lost about 8 pounds, though I'm still eating about the same amount of calories and am getting LESS exercise because of herxing.

I read somewhere that weight loss can be impossible with Bartonella....

Thoughts/experiences, please?

Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent had this experience but I started cipro today.

I have been exploring symptoms of bart, and they say weight gain, so maybe treating it would lead to weight loss? Just a thought! I hope this is a happy side effect for you.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennifer, I am about to start rifampin. This would be a happy side effect for me, as long as it doesn't throw me into a tailspin. How are you feeling on it? Are you taking it twice a day? With food?or on an empty stomach?

Hope it's a happy thing for you and you are feeling ok... Have you noticed any relief?

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennifer, I'm being treated for bart and am slowly but steadily gaining weight.

Kudzu, I initially herxed like crazy but seem to be feeling a little better. Actually, for me, the herx cycles seem to come more frequently for the co-infections than they have for Lyme.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart causes you to gain weight so I am not surprised. Good luck with your treatment.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudzuslipper- I am taking it on an empty stomach at least an hour before I eat or take any other medications in the morning, per the pharmacist's instructions. Apparently, it's a strong drug with a lot of interactions. Make sure to take lots of probiotics. If they have a store near you that carries plain Nancy's fancy yogurt, I highly recommend it over taking probiotics in pill form. It has a whopping 124 billion cfu's of probiotics, with 54 billion of them live.
Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're just taking it once a day? Sounds like you're feeling good on it. I will check into nancy's yogurt.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD asked that I make sure to take the rifampin on an empty stomach, and I could take both doses at 1x

so I take it 1x a day, very early morning, and then wait to eat.

By the way, I've put on close to 5 pounds since starting it-
I was underweight, but still feels odd to put it on.
I also found the stamina to start exercising again when I started it...

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennifer, I lost a small amount of weight when being treated for bart, but seemed to drop weight faster when I started being treated for babesia. I am sure the dietary changes are a big part of this as well.

I have lost about 17 lbs in total since starting treatment last November. Fortunately for me, this is a good thing, as I have been struggling to lose 15 - 20 lbs for the last 2 decades!

I have returned to working part time and don't have much energy for shopping for new clothes but managed to get a few things online that were on sale. It is so strange to need a new wardrobe from losing weight and not be elated over this like I would have in the past...

I am grateful that the scale went down instead of up for me. I hope that when I am well, the weight stays off. (Good to hear those words "when I am well" out of my mouth...) [Smile]

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost 18 lbs but had to fight for every single pound. And it's been over the course of a year. Now that Im gluten free/low sugar I've dropped another six in four weeks.

Wt gain has been so frustrating for me becuase i was so active before all this. I also think fixing our adrenals and maybe thyroid as well. I have chronic fatigue and did a little better with exercise tolerance after being put on cortef and armour thyroid.

--------------------
Psalm 119:50
My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Posts: 292 | From Heaven | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This book & site explain why lyme, and Cpn, caused serious weight gain in some patients and how, once the infection(s) were addressed, it just seemed to nearly fall off.

The author interviews at least on LLMD here, and speak about one patient who gained a great deal (undeservedly, as they had good food habits) and that it nearly disappeared easily (but not exactly overnight, of course) with good treatment for the infections.

Site: http://www.potbellysyndrome.com/

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease.

Book link, you can look inside the book and read readers' reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159120058x/ref=nosim/httpwwwpotbel-20

------------------

That book does not detail ADRENAL SUPPORT that is essential for all with infection-caused weight loss. He explains now the adrenal stress hormones contribute and why infection treatment is so important - however - along the way adrenal support really matters, too.

Good sleep also impacts weight:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sudden weight loss can also be due to diuretic properties of some Rx and some herbs, too. And, while that may be part of the infection-attack, still, if you loose a lot of water weight be sure you are not getting dehydrated.

Keep up hydration - water, minerals, nutrients - in measured degree all throughout the day and even before bedtime as we can become dehydrated overnight.

Don't flood with water but also be aware that water intake may need to be increased to help dilute & move out the toxic load for all the cells - and the liver and kidneys (depending upon your previous habit).

Ask your LLMD for the amount best for your body. Likely between 3 & 4 quarts a day, never more than a glass at a time. But, some may need less due to certain issues around kidney clearance.

Sea salt is vital. See:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031066;p=0

ELECTROLYTE Replacements; no additives LINKS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennifer ,was there no concern with Cortef and steroid issue'

I'm treating all three but seem to have adrenal/thyroid/hormone issue that's hanging over my head..Plus no good night sleep.

Is treatment helping with sleep if that was an issue?

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement