LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » High Eosinophils and having symptoms!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High Eosinophils and having symptoms!
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi friends,

I'm concerned about a trend in my recent lab results. For the past couple years I've had elevated eosinophils. They tend to go up and down slightly over the months. By the time they get really high and my LLMD sends me to the hematologist, they usually drop back down closer to upper normal range.

This happened recently. Saw the hematologist about a month ago, he said that my eosinophilia was "resolved" because it was still slightly elevated but not extremely high.

Well, my latest level drawn earlier this week was 19, with the normal range being 0-7. It is starting to rise again. (Last week was 17)

I think I'm also symptomatic.

Last week I thought I caught a stomach virus. ****Skip here if you don't want details**** Started with severe abdominal bloating and cramping. Then strange frequent bouts of foul smelling, pale looking, watery diarrhea that floated on the surface of the toilet water! It was so bad that I didn't make it to the bathroom a couple times because I had no warning.

It took several days for my stomach to calm down. I still feel completely wiped out. Drained of life. I've been sleeping most all of the day and night. I just get up to take my IV's and antibiotics. And make myself stay up a few hours in the evening. I missed appts this week because I couldn't leave the house. Thankfully the stomach is better now.

I've tested low positive before for strongyloides. My doctor didn't want to treat at that time because he wants me to be strong positive. I have an immune deficiency so it was pretty amazing that I got a response on that IgA test! I think that means I have an infection that needs treated.

I've also tested positive on the Metametrix test for an unknown/unidentified parasite. When I took the test, my doctor was concerned about parasites and was looking for a reason to treat. When I got the results he only treated me with an abbreviated Dr.K 10day protocol. Probably not enough of any medicine to help. I've asked for more and they have said that they afraid that now is not a good time.

I'm severely anemic, my iron is good now that I've had IV treatments. They suspect that I'm loosing blood from my GI tract (though it is not visible). You all also know that I have severe osteoporosis (I'm not even allowed to pick up my newborn niece [Frown] The doctors fear that I would break another vertebrae!). All that despite adequate supplementation, good diet and previous active healthful lifestyle. It is baffling. My GI doctor is testing me for crohn's.

Can parasites cause crohn's?

Do you think that I have strongyloidiasis? Or something else?

What should I do?

With my immune deficiency, I would really like a doctor to help me and guide me with this. I don't want to self treat but I am getting sicker and am wondering if this is my only option.

Thoughts? Thanks.

[ 09-27-2012, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: sammy ]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy,

Parasites can cause Crohns, severe G.I. disturbances and anemia along with a host of other symptoms. Google symptom list. High eosinophils can definitely be a sign of parasites.

You tested positive for strongtloides. What is your doctor THINKING?? If he won't treat you, start some antiparasitic herbs and or salt/c.

There is a parasitologist listed on lymestrategies that they highly recommend and he treats by phone. Don't wait till you get sicker, you need to treat NOW!

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had a great doctor who described high eosiniphils as being present for "worms, wheezies, and weird diseases" if only she had treated me for Lyme back then.

but yes, allergies, parasites, and any almost any inflammatory condition.

I know many feel we treat our animals better than ourselves by deworming them once a year or so.

I would talk with your LLMD again.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm.I was just tested for this as well. My number was 46 which was high.

My doctor just said that it could be a sign of Babesia.

This is all so confusing. How do you figure out what else it could be?

Posts: 105 | From east | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just so sorry to hear you having to go through yet one more thing....

Praying for you and your doctor's....What else????

I know nobody has checked me for half of the stuff I read on here......

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With eosinophils that high and diarrhea, esp the kind you describe, I don't think that was a virus! That is the description of a very bad case of parasites! ANd given your positive tests,

and given your history of travel in areas where parasites are rampant, including unusual ones . . . For Pete's sake, you need treatment!! You can't wait any longer.

Ask J for help and for him to get help from Dr. M. Please don't wait on this. If you have to wait, due to logistics, I have some other suggestions, and we should talk on the phone. In fact, we should talk anyway, as I do have suggestions.

This is such a foundational issue for really all of us, but some more than others, depending on exposure, etc. Lord have mercy, sammy, you need a good turn of events here.

gim is right to always be hammering us about parasites. We should all be "deworming" ourselves yearly, as vets do for pets. Only it's not just worms, it's so many other parasites. Sigh. It never ends, does it?

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement