LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » c diff support

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: c diff support
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have c diff from clindamycin. Wondering if people that have had it could pm me how they beat it and were able to continue lyme treatment.
I am fully aware of fecal transplant dr. in NY and will do that if needed.
I take floraster, prescription vsl and sac. boulardi. 2x daily.
Thanks

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May have to switch to herbals for Lyme. Florastor IS S. Boulardi. Diet is important too. How long have you been treating the C. Diff?
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your doctor will use the standard treatments of either oral vancomycin or flagyl. If those don't work, consider trying the Rifaximin Chaser.

I had C. diff for 11 long months. The rifaximin chaser is what finally kicked it in me. I have been on antibiotics since (with lots of probiotics) with no problem. However, I am always concerned about it and never want to see it again.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/44/6/846.full

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just diagnosed with C. diff last week. How much Florastor should I take?
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, I took two Florastor per day (one in the morning and another in the evening) when I had C. diff. Even after the C. diff. cleared up, I continued to take two a day for about a year. Now I take one per day.

You should also be taking other probiotics in addition to the Florastor. I found that Kefir helped a lot too.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were TF??!!! How did this happen?

I finished treatment for mine 2 wks. ago and I believe it is back as of today. Will be at the doc again tomorrow.

Does anyone know what specific diet should be followed for C Diff?

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had it bad and was started on iv flagyl and something else in the hospital. Sorry can't remember the second one

After I got out had to do two complete rounds of flagyl and tons of probiotics.

I was taking theralac, florastor and critical care twice a
Day for months. Messed me up so bad I can't handle abx cause I've tried and no way

Luckily now it hasnt come back

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the C. diff from 10 months of antibiotics for a severe sinus infection, one infection being MRSA.

Even though most of the antibiotics were squirted up my nose, I still got it. That was a surprise to me.

I only took one probiotic per day during this time, thinking that I was in no danger at all. And, I ate a normal diet.

So, in case this applies to anyone else, even antibiotics in an atomizer or squirt bottle can cause C. diff. (even though they are not going into your stomach, in other words). I believe the culprit in my case was probably Levaquin. It has to be used against MRSA.

I emailed my lyme doctor about it and told him I was on Florastor and the anti-yeast diet, and he told me I was doing all the right things. So, tickled1, that is the answer regarding diet.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks TF. It's just that I remember you being in remission? for quite some time so I was wondering how this happened to you. Sorry you are going through this.

I got C Diff. from Clindamycin for dental infection but I have chronic sinus issues that I just got swabbed for and am awaiting results and LLMD said depending on what comes back probably abx nasal spray to target biofilm. Said maybe MARCONS?

After hearing you got C Diff from nasal spray now I am worried about how I'm going to approach my issues.

Sorry this happened to you. Hope you feel better soon. How are your sinuses?

TF
Member # 14183

The way to approach your issues to to take lots of probiotics and kefir 2 hours after you squirt the antibiotics into your nose.

Treat these antibiotics just as you would antibiotics you are getting for lyme disease. Consider that they are killing your gut flora and take steps to restore the flora and to starve yeast.

If you are being seen by an ENT for the sinus infection, you will most likely be given antibiotics that you squirt into your nose with an atomizer or that you mix with a little water and squirt into your nose with a squeeze bottle.

If you are seeing your primary at this point, they give oral antibiotics for suspected sinus infections.

I never took anything called MARCONS and nobody ever targeted biofilms. They targeted the sinus infections that I had.

They had me on nasal steroids (budesonide) and often on 2 antibiotics at once. This went on for months.

I had 4 separate infections, one of which was classified as MRSA. I also had balloon sinuplasty and during that they removed all of the pus from the sinus with the MRSA.

Since I got the C. diff, I stopped the sinus antibiotic. Time will tell if the remaining sinus infection comes back again or not. It usually takes at least 1-2 weeks. Hopefully I treated it long enough before stopping. I am still irrigating my nose twice per day and taking allergy meds. So, I am hoping and praying that the sinus infection is finally gone.

I could not endure a sinus infection that I cannot treat plus the hell of this C. diff besides.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement