LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to General Support.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Field Trip to a Colonial Farm

Author Topic: Field Trip to a Colonial Farm
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first grader is supposed to go on a field trip to a colonial farm. I just saw a post on a Lyme site about someone else's kid who came back from the same place covered with ticks. The "farm" is partly in the woods with dirt trails through it, in other parts there are dirt trails through fields.

At first I was thinking of spraying her and all her clothing and chaperoning the trip so I could make sure she stayed on the trails, check her, etc. Now I am re-thinking the whole thing. This is not a place we would ever go on our own, but it is a school trip, and she is excited about it and doesn't want to be left out. I struggle with the balance of letting my kids live their lives vs. my fears of Lyme disease.

We live in VA, a newly-endemic area. What should I do?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let her go and you chaperon. Got to keep the kids on the trails, single file walking. Even if you spray your child, you are still going to be worried and tick checking other children.

It will be a stressful day for you. Maybe they will let you spray the pant legs and shoes of all the children?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, say what you will,

but there are some 'woods' field trips coming up for my younger daughters in the next few years,

and I am not letting them go.

Watching a child with Lyme and trying to treat is incredibly painful and difficult.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're really that worried about ticks, I would let her go and then simply inspect her for ticks when she gets home. Are you really going to keep your kids away from nature for the fear of ticks? That sounds like a worse fate than having Lyme!
Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe present the post you saw to the school and insist that they take measures to protect the children and even have them send info home to parents about what precautionary measures to take to protect their children like tucking pants into socks and wearing insect repellent with DEET.

This is not far fetched or being overly-cautious. I live in MA and all sports practices are cancelled indefinitely until we get 2 hard frosts due to EEE and West Nile causing deaths in our area. I don't see how exposure to ticks is any different and precautions need to be taken.

If the school is bringing kids to these places it is their responsibility to inform parents of how to protect their kids. Point this out to them!

I allowed my 1st grader to participate in a hiking program over the summer and the hike leader instructed everyone to tuck pants into socks and wear long sleaves and hats and wear insect repellant. It was only a 3 hr. per day program and I took precautionary measures and checked her as soon as she got home.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My kids play outside. They have a good life provided.

I'm not going to defend this. The woods trip I'm referring to is overnight.

Unless you've treated and raised your own child with Lyme and co-infections, it may be harder to see the understanding

for being overprotective.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would make sure they were sprayed down with DEET before leaving, wear appropriate clothing and do a thorough tick check when they get back while she tells you about all the fun she had!

My 9yo son, husband and myself are all currently under treatment for lyme & co, but I can't imagine life without being outside as much as possible. That's just the way we are though, everybody has their preferences for the kinds of activities they like to do, and whether they prefer outside or inside.

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tickled1:
This is not far fetched or being overly-cautious. I live in MA and all sports practices are cancelled indefinitely until we get 2 hard frosts due to EEE and West Nile causing deaths in our area. I don't see how exposure to ticks is any different and precautions need to be taken.

FORTY THOUSAND people die every year due to car accidents. Have they banned cars in MA?

I don't mean to be insensitive to the very real and legitimate concern about ticks, but if we're going to try to be protected against every threat, then life will certainly be miserable!

I think it's perfectly reasonable to take common sense precautions for both ticks and cars (and a lot of other things). However, hiding in the house and giving up our active lives certainly isn't the answer.

Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that if you let your child go, then go along!

But for me .. no way.

Moving to General Support

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement