LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Onion & Garlic Intolerance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Onion & Garlic Intolerance
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not about a Lyme... But thought you folks who have so much knowledge could help. My hubby over the past year has developed severe onion and garlic intolerance. It used to be just raw that bothered him but more and more it is all. Within a 1/2 hour he get strong gas and cramping and eventually diahrea.

Of course we try to avoid... But those two are in everything . It has made going out tough.

Is there anything that would help him brace for accidental ingestion... I suggested probiotics...but I am wondering if enzymes would be better? Would things like beano work?

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Thanks

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He could be allergic to them. I don't do well with uncooked onions or garlic either.

I can tolerate them if they are cooked.

Beano would not work.

Eating out .. you just eat protein and veggies.

Enzymes may help unless he is allergic to the onions and garlic.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://allergie-immun.de/Englisch/allergietherapy.html

Many have done this therapy and eliminated all allergies and dysregulations that kept them from healing.

There is also a thread called Allergy Immun Germany on LN - many pages long. I have done the therapy several years ago and eliminated some serious allergies I had. Gone.

Do look into it. The sulfhydril in onions and garlic are the detox engines and if you are allergic, it is very difficult to detox almost anything. They have excellent results with grain/wheat dysregulations aka allergies. I was allergic to most toxic metals and cleared all of them.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, unless the chicken is marinated in garlic tutu... Like what happened yesterday.

Gigi... I will search for t thread. Looks intriguing.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onions and garlic have a lot of sulfur and people with a CBS mutation cannot tolerate the sulfur in them. When you cook onion, you leach out the sulfur, which is what makes it easier to digest.

More than likely he can't tolerate cabbage either as it is very high in sulfur too. Most foods in the cabbage family have sulfur - also kale. So if he did juicing with kale or cabbage it would probably make him sick.

80% of chronically ill people have the CBS mutation. It is best to avoid those foods which also include meat, cheese and alcohol, especially wine.

Read about it at
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudzu.. wow, he's REALLY sensitive to it!!

Thanks for info, neffer... What do the letters CBS stand for??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the above are fine suggestions to consider.

Another possibility to consider is that the problem results from feeding parasites, as some of the prevalent ones do specifically consider onions/garlic/mustard to be excellent food.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Tutu, sensitive? your not kidding... I was making onion dip for our anniversary party about a month ago -- you know packaged, dehydrated (organic though LOL), etc... I make it very weak... I licked the spoon... an hour later we kissed and his lips started burning.

He does not have Lyme, or chronically ill that we know anyway. He was bit by a tick last December...but he was on augmentin for a sinus infection when he was bit-- and then on zythro for another month.

since I have known him he has had slight issues with raw...but lately, past 6 months or so, it has been really bad.

so far no issues with cabbage or broccoli or brussel sprouts... so could it be the allicin and not the sulphur?

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had typical nasal allergies but one year I ate alot of raw garlic & I had terrible hay fever type allergies. I think it was the garlic.

I don't like raw onions but I like them cooked. Never had any problems with raw cabbage, cheese, meat, etc. How about if the broccoli family is cooked? Does this reduce CBS mutation issues?

I was meat free & dairy free at times in my life & it didn't make me feel much different. Just that one year, the raw garlic gave me some kind of allergy.

I have a close friend who cannot tollerate any raw fruits or veggies. Some people do have allergies to these things. I don't know about genetics or AI... Could be parasites, too???

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As sparkle mentioned...could it be parasites? Or even yeast?

Don't parasites hate sulfur? And garlic is used to kill yeast.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kudzuslipper:
Tutu, sensitive? your not kidding... I was making onion dip for our anniversary party about a month ago -- you know packaged, dehydrated (organic though LOL), etc... I make it very weak... I licked the spoon... an hour later we kissed and his lips started burning.

This sounds to me a lot more like an allergy than parasites causing a GI disturbance when food is eaten that they like, and more like an allergy than an inability to detox sulfur. Now, parasites can cause allergies, so maybe parasites are involved on some level to have caused the allergy...
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That DOES sound like an allergy!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

thanks guys--- some times the toughest thing is knowing who to go to. I should have him check with an allergist... but, basically they will tell him avoid it!
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a friend was taking Parastroy, his general allergies got alot better. There is a connection, I believe. Don't know if it's every case...
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

There are a variety of allergy treatments other than avoiding substances. As GiGi mentioned, there is Allergie-Immun, which can be powerful. I have benefited greatly from this one. It is very comprehensive, which might be good or bad, perhaps more than he is interested in for that one problem? Another approach is NAET, which typically handles one specific substance at a time. I have found this helpful, but not permanent in many cases. I think some docs treat this with pricking blood and adding substance and whatnot. I'm not familiar with that, but pointing it out as it does seem there are options out there.
MaryMi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryMi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
http://allergie-immun.de/Englisch/allergietherapy.html

Many have done this therapy and eliminated all allergies and dysregulations that kept them from healing.

There is also a thread called Allergy Immun Germany on LN - many pages long. I have done the therapy several years ago and eliminated some serious allergies I had. Gone. Hi Gigi, It's been a while [Smile] The allergie immun is still doing great things for people, I was much interested and then stuff gets in the way. My daugter has trouble with onion too and plan on reading the web site you posted again.

Do look into it. The sulfhydril in onions and garlic are the detox engines and if you are allergic, it is very difficult to detox almost anything. They have excellent results with grain/wheat dysregulations aka allergies. I was allergic to most toxic metals and cleared all of them.

Take care.

--------------------
 -
This is only my opinion and/or experience with Lyme Disease. I am not a medical professional.

Posts: 587 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryMi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryMi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gigi, It's been awhile. I'm glad I ran into your post about allergie-immun. My daughter has problems with onion too. I remember when you mentioned this some years back...stuff gets in the way and I forget. Will look into this again. Any idea % of success for people?
Thanks
Mary

--------------------
 -
This is only my opinion and/or experience with Lyme Disease. I am not a medical professional.

Posts: 587 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement