LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Medicare Insurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Medicare Insurance
BrighterDays
Member # 26273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrighterDays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on my husband's healthcare...United HealthCare.

The premiums have went up significantly and I am thinking of taking Medicare, since I am eligible.

Does Medicare Part B pay well or is a supplement insurance needed?

What is the best Medicare-based drug plan?

Posts: 23 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a supplemental insurance is needed. I've not had to look at options because I'm still covered under my husbands as my primary insurance and rx plan. I personally signed up for Medicare when I became disabled. They are my secondary. I was afraid of the unknowns in the future.

He was thinking about retiring next year, so I did find out that I would have to pick up some supplemental. TG, his union contract changed and he has to work 3 more years.

You might find that between Medicare cost, supplemental cost insurance and rx plan....that the premiums aren't that much more staying with United.

Medicare.gov has all kinds of info on supplemental questions.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medicare pays providers and facilities that accept Medicare coverage. So first you must find out whether your doctor or clinic accept Medicare patients.

Then, Medicare will pay 80% of "allowable" charges. If the procedure or appointment is allowed by Medicare, they will cover 80% of what Medicare uses as the cost. Medicare only allows the doctor or facility to charge a certain amount for Medicare patients, then they pay 80% of that.

Yes, you need a supplement. The supplement will pick up the 20% that remains after the Medicare payment.

There are different Medicare plans. I have Original Medicare. This allows me pick and choose any doctor who accepts Medicare.

Medicare Advantage plans are more like managed care plans, and you must use the doctors associated with that plan. This works for some people.

Selecting the best Medicare Drug coverage Plan D depends on the medications that you are taking or expect to take. If you have a list of medications, you can enter them into a website for Plan D, and you will be able to compare plan coverages and costs, which vary greatly.

When I first became eligible for Medicare this was all very confusing, and still is. I was helped by people at my local Area Agency on Aging. They gave me information, answered my questions, and helped me determine the best coverage for me.

Each state has their own Area Agency on Aging, just google it in your state. I highly recommend their assistance.

By the way, I have had very good luck with Medicare. I have found good doctors, although I had to give up doctors I previously liked. Medicare and my supplement have covered surgeries for me, labs, and doctor appointments. It also has covered mammograms, annual breast MRIs, colonoscopies, genetic testing, that's all my tired brain can remember right now.

Drug coverage has varied each year, and each year you must review your meds and needs, and find the best plan, as they change annually.

Hope I gave you the correct info. Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement