LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » c-diff advice needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: c-diff advice needed
agmorgan
Member # 36230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for agmorgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been feeling nothing short of horrendous the last week. Dizzy, shaking, chills, stomach pains, bp drops when I get up...

Called doc over the weekend and he thinks its c-diff so I've started the regimen. My question is, how long before I stop feeling like death? I can't help but be a little paranoid about this [Frown]

Is it safe to just stay in bed at home? Worse than the stomach pains are the rib and back pain along with this overall shakiness/uneasy feeling. How long will the worst of this last?

Thanks!

Posts: 94 | From Tennessee/NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had C diff, I couldn't eat anything and ended up in the hospital on IV for the nite and that stopped it. Don't know what I was treated with in the hospital but whatever it was, it worked.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well....quite honestly I wouldn't be treating for C. diff unless you have tested positive in your stool for C. diff.....

But, to answer your question, I'd start to feel better after about a day or so of treatment.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with timaca. I would want a positive C diff test before I treated for C diff.

You didn't mention the main symptom--diarrhea.

And some of the things you mentioned don't sound like C diff to me--like bp dropping, rib and back pain, dizzy.

What regimen are you on? Have you stopped all antibiotic treatment for other illnesses?

I was first put on flagyl (a VERY high dose) and that made me feel like death for 3-4 days. On flagyl, I couldn't eat at all and it was hard to drink anything also. I had to force myself. I wished I WAS dead, I felt so awful. ( I didn't feel bad before the flagyl.)

When the 10 days of flagyl didn't cure it, I was put on vancomycin (the big guns) and in 24 hours it stopped the diarrhea. But, it was a few more days before I stopped getting waked up at night and very early morning to run to the bathroom.

The chills and stomach pains are the C diff symptoms I had, plus fever.

If it is C diff, you have to do a lot to restore your gut--Florastor twice per day, lots of good probiotics, anti-yeast diet, etc. And, no antibiotics until you are sure it is gone.

My doc said to stay on the Florastor and probiotics for a good 6 weeks after the end of the C diff episode.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement