LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone had an immune workup?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone had an immune workup?
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had one done at local hospital, waiting on results. If you did have abnomailties did your doc think it would explain why you came down with Lyme ?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know what tests were run?

Hopefully the full Immunoglobulin panel.
Total serum and subclasses IGG IGA IGM.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think an immune panel will reveal why a person got Lyme to begin with as much as tell what Lyme has been doing to their immune system. I say this because I know Lyme can disable parts of the immune system that may not be deficient prior to Lyme infection.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Razzle. I was not born with an immune deficiency but have had these subclasses and other panels run before, and they always were not so good.
The doc was talking about IVIG which I know has mixed results here.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Disaster was the result of my attempts with an immunologist. If one has lyme, their LLMD is their very best consultant.

Lyme changes immune function in all kinds of ways that even top immunologists are not at all aware - unless they are also very lyme literate.

Why someone "comes down with lyme" is because someone has become infected with it. It's a very toxic, very unique and very pervasive infection.

As to why some get sicker than others, different strains, different coinfections and luck of the draw.

Still, there may be some immune markers from whatever tests you have that could help your LLMD better adjust treatments but unless the LLMD guided the testing that may not be possible to connect the dots.

Genetically speaking, though, we still have so much to learn but if there are any specific genetic clues, I hope your LLMD can work with that.

There are some genetic tests done by the doctor at the www.chronicneurotoxins.com site and those may very helpful for some with lyme, partly to tell how well you can metabolize toxins.

To me, so much comes down to how well the liver and kidneys work.

Be aware that lyme can damage DNA, so some tests that might show immune dysfunction could be the RESULT of lyme, not the cause.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might search for the site for

The Better Health Guy - it's all about lyme and Scott does a fantastic job there of covering all the LL doctors' research and conferences.

Surely, "immune" will bring some hits at his site.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other part of an immune workup that is not often done is such things as CD4 and CD8 -- helper and suppressor cells if I remember correctly. Hubby had some immune system testing done when he first got sick in 2001 -- 2003 by various ACAM docs. Showed lots of issues -- but no explanation as to cause or how to correct the problems. He did not have a diagnosis at that time.

Then for lyme there is the CD57 which measures a specific set of killer cells.

Also some LLMD's measure C4 and C3 levels -- different parts of the complement system I think. Your CRP can be normal or even on the low side but the complement pathways can be very overactive.

And then there are the cytokine type of immune markers such as IL-10 etc etc.

Even when hubby has had low WBC his various IgG, IgA and IgM subclasses were all within normal limits.

I agree with Keebler -- a LLMD needs to be the one to evaluate any immune system testing results.

Because of the complexity of the immune system responses to lyme and coinfections I have been skeptical of the new test from the old Neurosciences Lab (can't remember the name of the new company)-- they supposedly measure immune system responses to lyme to tell if you have an active infection or not.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of us have a very low Natural killer cell count!!!

I had only a count of 8 it should be 145 to 235.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have had a full workup with an immunologist. I started IVIG a few months ago.

I think if you are deficient it may affect your ability to get well.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NEMOM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEMOM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have my first IVIG on friday. Immune workup showed low total IgG, subclasses 1 & 3, failed Pneumo titers after challenge and some failed some other vaccine challenges.

Not real thrilled with the idea of starting IVIG but I had breast cancer last fall and picked up a Mycobacterium infection during surgery that I am still fighting a year later (with a recent flare). So I figure it can't hurt....

Posts: 131 | From Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Sammi and others, is the pneumo titers test a must? Was there any reaction?
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my llmd did the pneumo titers, then pneumo vax, and no reaction to the titers, showing improper immune repsonse and thus justifying ivig (although it was never done, this was the logic). So this might be some of the reason it is being considered.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In mine, all of mine were normal and my IgM was highly elevated... strange.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEMOM, good luck tomorrow. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water today and tomorrow. This may help prevent a severe headache. Will you be taking pre-meds such as Benadryl and Tylenol?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

CD57, I think the pneumo vaccine is considered pretty necessary by immunologists. The only reaction I had with it was the arm where I got the shot broke out.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement