LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » coffee enemas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coffee enemas
Smerrill
Member # 31738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smerrill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried these. My lyme doctor wants me to do these once a day until further notice. I am skeptical and have many concerns and questions. Not sure he is providing all necessary info or is knowledgeable about counter indications, etc. Would really love to be in contact with those in the know, who have tried, if they are as good as stated or if there are real precautions . Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks, Sue
Posts: 22 | From Cheshire, CT | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do these and they have been a huge help.

I do one a day. Very easy to do, just google directions. Use organic light/medium roast coffee.

Make sure to drink lots of fluids throughout the day.

Good luck [Smile]

Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do them every single day. They have been enormously helpful to me.

Just google Gerson Therapy Coffee Enemas. I'm sure a lot of helpful articles will come up.

I use disposable enema bags from Amazon. Must be organic coffee. I use a French Press and let it cool overnight.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smerrill
Member # 31738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smerrill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was concerned if have had hemroid (sp?) problems a lot in the past and it talks about the enemas enlarging that vein in the rectum, that it could cause problems. I also read that the Isocort I take for my adrenals has lots of echinacea in it and that can inensify effects of because it hinders it breakdown. How long have you bee doing these? Aren't you afraid it will upset your natural elimination mechanism or you might be eliminating beneficial nutrients etc.
Posts: 22 | From Cheshire, CT | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smerrill: I think the coffee enemas are used to help the liver produce Glutathione, that's how it helps you detox.

Tammy N.: Thanks for the tip about the disposable bags through Amazon. I just ordered some.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smerrill
Member # 31738

DO you use chlorophyl with them or some such product. If so, what kind and how much. Doctor was pretty vague and uninformed. Said to go get in a health food store. I've been to a pharmacy that stocks all the natural products and health food store that does the same and neither had.
Smerrill
Member # 31738

anyone have negative effects? and decide not worth it.
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt 30% better after coffee enemas, so I did them daily through treatment.

Some people have had problems if they have trouble with detoxification. I would start out with a very weak coffee (one tablespoon to a quart) to be sure you're not one of the people who have trouble.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:

Some people have had problems if they have trouble with detoxification.

Six: I cannot genetically detox. I ordered the supplies to do coffee enemas to try to help myself detox. So, would this stir up the toxins, leaving them to further circulate in my system?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel really horrible after I've done coffee enema's. I have only done 2 and I'm scared to try it again. I end up on the toilet for at least 12 hours, shaking, sweating, feeling like I'm going to die. I guess I have an issue with getting toxins out...?

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larae, that was my exact experience. I'd say the 6 hrs. after I did my first and only one was the worst I've ever felt. Shaky, sick, toxic feeling. The added caffeine and stimulus didn't help. A terrible experience.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lax mom:
Six: I cannot genetically detox. I ordered the supplies to do coffee enemas to try to help myself detox. So, would this stir up the toxins, leaving them to further circulate in my system?

It's possible. I'd start with really weak coffee. When I do a coffee enema it's 4 tbsp per quart of water. If I were you, I'd start with 1 tbsp or less.

If your doctor recommended them, he's not anticipating any problem. I never had any problem and the vast majority I've talked to haven't, but some have, so I'd ease into it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smerrill
Member # 31738

NO one has said anything about chlorophyl. It was explained to me the reason for taking it was so that it would act as a binder of the toxins so they flush out and do not get reabsorbed by the colon. Maybe if you do not use, that is what is causing the problems. FOr those who like the enemas, do you use the chlorophyl?
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have done them a few times always felt better immediately after

Never used chlorphyl.

Fine ground organic coffee.

make sure it's at body temp when you do it.

I used disposable enema bottles and reloaded them with the coffee

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is "gold roast" or regular organic better?
Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you use the chlorophyl?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smerrill
Member # 31738

That's the problem. The one recommended is from Standard Process - They are called pearls. They say take a handful 1/2 hrs before enema, take 5-15 just before , and some more before you eat again. I have no idea how much that is with any other product, produced by anyone else. SO you can see my confusion and fear in just taking all of this without speaking to someone who actually understands this.
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just do the coffee
Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

They've been using them for over 100 years.
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

From Wikipedia:

History

While the idea of rectal cleansing dates back to the Egyptians, the notion of caffeine as an enema-related substance is relatively new. It was conceived in 1917, and appeared in the Merck Manual until 1972.

In 1920, German scientists investigated caffeine's effect on the bile duct and small intestines. Max Gerson proposed coffee enemas had a positive effect of the gastro-intestinal tract;

Gerson said that coffee enemas had positive effects on patients with tuberculosis, and later even cancer. He claimed that unlike saline enemas, the caffeine traveled through the smooth muscle of the small intestine, and into the liver.

This, he said, cleared even more of the gastro-intestinal tract and removed more toxins and bile than a normal enema. He told his patients often that the "coffee enemas are not given for the function of the intestines but for the stimulation of the liver."

RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing daily enemas well over a year.

First time I tried, I felt horrible. I waited a week or so and tried again and felt better afterwards.

I always wait until after I've had a BM before I do the enema. That way, your body won't start relying on enemas.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azlyme
Member # 39128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure to use deionized or distilled water for your enemas. Make sure that its also from one of those machines in stores. The water is so pure that it absorbs the chems in the plastic (I left a bottle in the car and the next day it reeked of plastic). If you use tap water then you get minerals and chlorine that interfere with the absorption of the acids in the coffee. In fact, for any kind of tea or infusion, those purified waters are much better. Reverse Osmosis would be a second choice, but it still has some minerals left in it.

I use raw coffee beans, maybe about a quarter cup in a quart of water and boil it for an hour or more. It takes a long time because they are whole. You cant grind the raw beans--they will ruin your grinder like I did mine. I get my beans obligingly from the local roaster. Gold Roast is a great deal also.

--------------------
Dx NY 2008 - Rash, headaches, neuro
Doxy 400mg/day 6 wks, Amoxy, Zithro
Herbs, supplements, sauna/steam room (1 yr), Rife, H2O2
Neuro symptoms for 3 years. Now inc CFS, FM and arthritis
IgM+ (recent LabCorp)

Posts: 19 | From Flagstaff, AZ | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like the regular dark roasted coffee relieves toxins more effectively, but the light colored "gold roast" doesn't stain tile/grout if accidently spilled.

I had one doctor tell me that the gold was better, and a couple of doctors say that the dark is more effective. Does anyone have an experience/research about this issue?

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smerrill...my LLMD had me take either chlorella or spirulina 30 minutes before the coffee enema to bind any toxins.

I feel that the coffee enemas were probably helpful for me. I haven't done any in a while but I am going to try to get back into the habit again.

Also it is important to use organic coffee for these.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement