LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and Sex with condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Sex with condoms
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatureGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I know the topic of transmission is a bit controversial though I'm not highly versed in it.
Have a new boyfriend, haven't dated in forever, and am looking at the contagion issue. Can I ask for opinions on this...

If a lyme infected gal has sex with a (non infected) man using condoms, I figure the risk of transmission is going to be quite small. However, condoms once in a great while break. I've only had two break in 44 yrs, but it does happen. [Frown] My understanding is that it's repeated exposure or long term exposure that is risky (a tick spending an hour attached to you, etc). If the condom were to break, sex could immediately stop, and I'm hoping that the momentary exposure would be very brief and exposure and contagion risk would be quite small? I'm thinking it's riskier to go out in the woods. What do you all think?

Thanks,
NatureGirl

Posts: 14 | From San Diego, California | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just discussed this issue with my LLMD. I was concerned that starting/receiving treatment for lyme would increase the risk of transmission to my wife.

The bottom line from my discussion from her is that the sexual transmission issue is controversial (as you said). There is no solid proof that sexual transmission even occurs. If it does, it is certainly not highly transmittable like other diseases. Furthermore, there seems to be some opinion that there is a higher risk of transmission from male to female than female to male. Finally, my LLMD thought that the risk of transmission was decreased when the infected person was being treated.

So, I think your risk is extremely low if you will be using condoms. However, I am not a doctor and my opinion may only be worth what you paid for it.

Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axseptants
Member # 32296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for axseptants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have struggled with and researched this issue as well. I recently started dating someone too. I am also female. I honestly believe it is very difficult for a woman to give this to a man. The Lyme bug is also likely already in the blood supply. It is also likely the person has been exposed in some other fashion (tick, mosquito, etc.). I informed my partner that I tested positive for Lyme. We use a condom. I'm not going to stress anymore about it. I'm exhausted thinking about the whole issue. I just don't think there's enough hard evidence out there to prove it's transmissible. I've likely had lyme 17 to 20 years. I've had long term relationships in which we did not use condoms and I am not aware that any of my previous boyfriends have lyme. My advice: use a condom, enjoy your new relationship, and try not to stress. This illness is bad enough without the stress.
Posts: 52 | From Central VA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tough issue. I can say with some certainty that I do believe I gave it to an ex boyfriend of mine. However, blood was exchanged as well and we never used condoms and so I think that was a factor in the transmission.

I do personally believe that lyme can be sexually transmitted based on my own experience and the experience of a dear friend of mine. I do not know how common transmission rates are, but sexual transmission is something I believe in with this, because I have lived it.

That being said, I have not let it stop me from intimacy, nor do I think people with this illness should have to remain celibate. If you are very concerned about transmission, use protection. Jess.

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are those who believe that the Lyme spiros are found in all bodily fluids of an infected person or animal.

These people believe that spirochetes in saliva can drill through the skin and infect another person. If this is true, then it would rule out even kissing, except for dry kisses on the exterior of the mouth.

You can figure out other intimacy applications from there.

According to this theory, a person can be infected with Lyme from their infected pet licking them, or from them cleaning up their pet's mess. I once heard a story about an entire family who became sick with Lyme except for one of them who had no contact with the dog and never cleaned up its mess.

So when you put all of this together, it seems that intercourse with a condom that doesn't break is about the ONLY sexual activity that is safe. And even then, if the woman's bodily fluids somehow contact the man's skin, he could become infected.

If a woman is infected, then that would render manual stimulation from her partner risky to him due to the contact with bodily fluid. I guess he'd have to wear latex gloves.

I know a woman who has Lyme and is convinced that she got it from her husband.

The last thing in the world I want to do is infect my wife with this nightmarish, god-awful disease. So suffice it to say that my "repertoire" has become very limited. I'm kinda like "Jon Germaine" now.

I wish I had something more encouraging to say.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had undiagnosed lyme disease for 10 years before finding out that that is what I had. I had a normal, healthy sex life with my husband that entire time. He never got lyme disease from me.

Once I got to a lyme doctor, I had him tested, even though he didn't have any symptoms. He tested negative through Igenex.

My lyme doctor believes that sexual transmission is rare, but can happen more often from male to female because of the greater exchange of bodily fluids. My experience backs up his opinion, I believe.

So, I think the use of the condom is all you need to do. Even during my treatment, we never used condoms and I never stopped kissing my husband either.

However, because the lyme affected me gynecologically, we probably went about 1 year unable to have sex at all when I was at my worst with this illness.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says there was a study that suggested Lyme Disease may be transmitted from male to female because of the invasive fluid that is not exposed to oxygen. Spirochetes die when exposed to oxygen.

There is no evidence that the female transmitts to a male.

Therefore, if your male partner has Lyme, you MAY want to use a condom.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatureGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the feedback. I've also heard and it makes sense that female to male transmission is much less likely, even less so with condom use of course.

I've likely had lyme for 20 yrs and as far as I know none of my past partners have been infected. It's still a little scary.

Posts: 14 | From San Diego, California | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If oxygen kills spirochetes, then how come it is supposedly possible for a deer to get Lyme from eating vegetation on which an infected deer has urinated?

That's what I heard. Just sayin'.

Lyme is a spirochete. Syphilis is a spirochete. How come syphilis can be transmitted female to male, but borrelia can't?

The father of our country (George Washington) died from a syphilis infection. I wasn't there, but I'd be willing to bet that he didn't get it from another guy while taking a break crossing the Delaware.

As a guy, I'd feel like I was playing Russian Roulette having sex with a Lyme infected woman (if I wasn't infected myself).

--------------------
-chaps

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are all kinds of things that can be passed back and forth. Protection is a good idea for all until you are certain of mutual monogamy after a period of time. Even then, if one partner has medical issues, protection is a good idea.

Many people have various strains of herpes, many. It's just the way it is (many can have long before they are even sexually active) but protection helps reduce the chances of a new case developing.

Candida can also be passed back and forth. I'd bet there are numerous other infections, too, some of which may not be that important until one has other health challenges -- but some go undetected, too.

Even a basic screen can miss things. People can be born with some infections that just stay dormant until a challenge - or they could be a carrier and never know. We don't know everything yet so safety is key.

If bleeding gums are an issue, that's also to be considered. Those with lyme frequently have gum trouble. Both parties rinsing with Auromere Herbal Mouthwash prior to cuddling seems like a good idea but, if there is bleeding in the mouth, refrain from kissing. It's just wise for both.

As for variations in form (how delicately can it be phrased?) . . . do remember that the mouth matters, too, when mixing any bodily fluids.

Oral cancer can result from some strains of HPV.

Protection is for your safety but it should not lessen shared enjoyment of the finer aspects of a close and loving relationship, with a good share of fun, too.

If all this seems too much, just turn it into a comedy routine. Just stay solid with the safety measures, though, even amid laughter. Gives "common courtesy" a whole new meaning, eh?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with this statement by chaps.
Lyme is a spirochete. Syphilis is a spirochete. How come syphilis can be transmitted female to male, but borrelia can't?

I would never want to give it to anyone nor get it back again.

http://www.well-women.com/Lyme.html
"Transmission of the disease has been clearly documented after bites by fleas, mites, mosquitos and ticks. There is compelling evidence that Lyme disease (LD) can be spread by sexual and congenital transfer.� Please click here to read more about this.
http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/std.html

"�Biology professor, Lida Mattman, author of Cell Wall Deficient Forms: Stealth Pathogens, has been able to recover live spirochetes of Bb from mosquitos, fleas, mites, semen, urine, blood, and spinal fluid.�

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cotracted Lyme when I was a teen ager and was married for 30 + years and my husband never showed a single Lyme symptom.

He passed away from a very agressive Cancer about a year ago and even when he had no immune system he didn't have Lyme symptoms.

I think the jury is still out on this one......my Dr. basically told me (direct quote "it may be but the ticks transmit it so more efficiently".

And what about the co-infections? We rarely see Lyme without them - are they also transmitted? They aren't spirochettes.

So many unanswered questions. I say if you are worried use a condom and live your life. And that's what I plan to do...........

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Keebler, mouth matters? I assumed u were talking oral sex. I had ruled out doing that (either way- give or take). But kissing? How will an oral rinse stop spread of lyme if it's transmitted by a french kiss?
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

by the way i dont have bleeding gums, but my gums are sensitive and sometimes feel sore occasionally (like if i eat potato chips or something that scrapes). If there are tiny wounds from a scraping, how will a mouth wash close them? I dont get that.

I agree that there are other infections to consider besides lyme. And of course there's always pregnancy to consider too!

NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Oh - Keebler do you mean disinfect mouths cuz other things can be spread besides Lyme? If that's what you mean, that makes sense.
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, OTHER THINGS - the mouth (especially for those who are ill with various stealth infections) can carry any number of bad microbes. Even for those not with lyme.

If you know you may engage in some "kissy face" fun, brush, floss and rinse first. Everyone should. If out and about XYLITOL "mints" are helpful but also drink some good clear water first. Encourage your mate to do the same.

Some probiotics swished in your water may also be a good idea. Share.

This kind of oral hygiene will be just business as usual once it's mapped out and all parties understand that it's really much more than just about the courtesy of fresh breath.

And, if gums are bleeding, no one should be kissing. Sorry. Just as you'd refrain from kissing if you felt a cold sore or some kind of oral ulcer coming on, the same safety measures for your mate go for bleeding gums.

Just trying to keep everyone safe. Gum disease can be terrible. It can lead to heart disease, too. And those with lyme are much more at risk, and not just about lyme at all.

Gum disease can be spread through kissing. Gum disease can be caused by any number of microbes and the protective biofilm (of many infections, not just lyme) is a big part of that in the mouth.

Oral hygiene matters greatly.

Another note: Do not allow pets to kiss you on the face, lick a dripping faucet or share your pillow. All kinds of bad stuff can be spread from their mouth to yours. Cuddle, get cozy, romp around in joy but don't share mouth fluids.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.lymebook.com/silent-saboteurs-nordquist-krutchkoff

The Silent Saboteurs: Unmasking Our Own Oral Spirochetes As The Key To Saving TRILLIONS in Health Care Costs

-by William D. Nordquist, BS, DMD, MS

& David J. Krutchkoff, DDS, MS

236 Pages, $25.95
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not all about "burning mouth" - there are many helpful notes here about oral hygiene in general:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119079;p=0

Topic: Burning Mouth - with LINKS

http://www.auromere.com/Dental_Care-Mouthwash.html

Auromere Ayurvedic Mouthwash

I put some of this in a one-ounce dropper bottle for purse, a two-ounce dropper bottle to have handle to rinse toothbrush and mouth.

http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-GSE-Liquid-Concentrate-Grapefruit-Seed-Extract-2-fl-oz-59-ml/4211

NutriBiotic, GSE Liquid Concentrate, Grapefruit Seed Extract - DROPS

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT - LINKS
-

NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Keebler, thanks for all the info. I haven't read the book Silent Saboteurs. Keebler, to clarify, do you feel Lyme can be passed from my saliva to his mouth? Or is the oral hygeine for protection of other things?

I don't ever have bleeding gums. I brush my teeth multiple times per day with any non fluroide paste because I fear some bad breath (from dysbiosis? and/or ketosis sometimes too for unknown reasons). Doctor feels I've treated the candida OK. But I don't use auromere, i hate that taste.

Thanks again, i'll read up on your links.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Typically, lyme is not known to be spread by kissing. However, since many with lyme have gum disease - and others without lyme can, too - it's just good to know that mixing blood can increase the chance of transmission.

But, I'm talking about a bigger picture here. All kinds of infectious microbes that can cause gum and heart disease can be passed through kissing (whether gums bleed or not, actually).

Candida, too.

It's just good hygiene and forward thinking to be sure all bases are covered that you (and your gums) and your partner and their gums are also well cared for.

I know it's really not polite to broach such a topic but it's really easy to get a sense of ANYONE's thought on this by the time you spend some time with them. Many of my healthy friends excuse themselves to brush after a meal - or midday.

A guy I dated brought up that he really preferred both of us to brush before kissing. I'm glad he brought that up from the "fresher" experience perspective.

It's also a health and safety matter, quite frankly. A little thought can change a future. Gum disease is a terrible thing to endure.

Swish, rinse, kiss. Now, everybody, all together:

Swish, rinse . . . and . . . kiss. ;-)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Web Search:

periodontal disease, causes

periodontal disease, kissing

one result:

http://info.umc.edu/quiz.php?qid=4

. . . There is recent evidence to suggest that the bacteria which cause periodontal disease in one individual may be found in their spouse or significant other. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Next search: Xylitol, periodontal

Two (of many) search hits:

http://www.raysahelian.com/gumdisease.html

Gum Disease - by Ray Sahelian

http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=periodontal

Gum Health articles - by Joseph Mercola
-

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read all of this but there are studies about tick saliva & it's role in transmission of Lyme. I posted them a few times here. You may want to check into it.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Keebler, sparkle, everyone: thanks for your replies. I will read up as I can. I have huge trouble reading/comprehending, im sure many of us do.

Question: If I have occasional *tiny* bit of blood after flossing, is that considered the "bleeding gum" syndrome? I never thought of msyelf as having "bleeding gums."

My dentist has always told me that after small dental work, any small bleeding that occured would be healed up very quickly and I could kiss my boyfreind that day (for minor things, not major dental work), so i have assumed that tiny bit of blood after flossing would heal within hours too. Feedback?

anuta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anuta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI ,
I think that the idea that the risk of transmitting any STD is higher from male to female then the other way around is ridiculous from the scientific point of view. So I don�t see why Lyme would be any different. If there is possibility of sexual transmission there is no differences.
I can tell for sure�it is possible to transmit Lyme through intercourse because I gave it to my husband. For the first two years of me being sick I was undiagnosed and after we have found out that I have Lyme and Co. , I have started on heavy-duty abx cocktail and my LLMD had told me that the chance of transmission is almost zero. So we continued to have unprotected sex.

2.5 years later into my treatment my husband started to have very small symptoms like a little fatigue and a little shoulder pain, which we never even associated with Lyme, since my disease started suddenly with huge pains all over.

He was diagnosed energetically to have Borrelia and many co. while we were in Germany. After we came back, I started to treat him with photons and that�s where the hell broke loose. He was herxing big time. I got very surprised, because he was almost asymptomatic before treatment.

So now we know for sure it can be transmitted sexually. Why it took 4.5 years for my husband to get it? Does Lyme gets stimulated by abx treatment? I don�t know. Some people have stronger immune system and don�t fall sick after the exposure and some don�t even develop any symptoms after the infected tick bites.

I also agree with Keebler, that we can�t rule out the possibility of transmitting it through kisses or tooth brushes if one has gum disease or micro cuts in the mouth. It is a horrible disease and I would want to protect our loved ones as much as possible.

I think that the information like �the risk of transmission is low� or � it�s more likely to be transmitted form male to female� is misleading. Sexual transmission is possible and people should be aware. After that it is every ones� personal decision.

I wish that we would have taken it more seriously, but unfortunately can�t change anything now.

Posts: 443 | From Montreal, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Micro cuts in the mouth" - glad anuta mentioned that.

I'm not just talking about lyme here but all kinds of microbes that lead to serious illness. Like feet, I think we have failed (as a society) to properly educate the populace regarding risks and behavior changes that can minimize risk.

[sidebar: FEET - support, support, support from early on. Most shoes should be declared objects of torture, really. Damage occurs so often from the wrong choice of footwear.]

Back to the mouth, I'm talking about all kinds of microbes - and the risk to BOTH partners in this game of love (or frisky canoodling - and all in between).

Some periodontal experts think that even a parent's loving quick peck on the mouth of any infant can cause a life long periodontal disease that does not show up for years. PETS, too, pose a risk.

As for bleeding gums, if flossing causes bleeding some foods may, too. "Sharp" foods used to just tear up my mouth and I just had to stop.

Some foods may not be "sharp" as to actually cause small cuts but some can be abrasive and tear tender tissue.

Other foods can make the tissue more tender and, therefore, likely more susceptible to infiltration of infection (ANY infection).

Just web search: periodontal disease

then cross search with: causes & then with prevention

Then, though, you have to decide if you are going to use the harsh and potentially toxic products that are out there or use safer ones.

I think gum disease should be much more illuminated for everyone with lyme but also for just everyone, in general. If we know the finer points of good oral health, we have a better chance of overall health.

With lyme, we are at greater risk of bone infection in the jaw, too. So we have to address this both topically and from within.

Again, though, my concern here expands beyond lyme. Lyme is not the only player on the block and certainly there are OTHER spirochetes that just love to set up shop in the mouth.

Just as making love is intended to be a beautiful - and even fun - endeavor . . . kissing also brings much joy and delight, as it should.

Don't let all this take any degree of joy away but, as with all grown up things, education, awareness, preparation, conversation and behavior changes can offer us support so that our activities - and our lives - can be better for all that.

Humor helps, too, if this becomes too clinical. Not to shuffle it all along but to help implement any changes, as a couple. We all (should) know about "safe sex" - and, really, that goes for any time there are shared bodily fluids.

After making sure they are free of aspartame or other artificial sweeteners that can be excito-toxic, explore all the XYLITOL gums and mints out there. XYLITOL is a lover's best friend. Share.

[A little goes a long way, too much will create gas so humor will go a long way there, eh?]
-

[ 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's sex???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe transmission is possible via sex and fluid exchange. I have heard from others who truly believe they have given it to their partners & others who were very sick, while their partners are asymptomatic for years (10-20yrs). The latter being mostly sick women who did not get their husbands sick after years of activity.

I believe that I gave it to my wife & she shows symptoms from time to time. Her immune sys is fighting it very well, but then so did mine for years.

I think that sickness is more likely to occurr quicker in cases where a number of organisms are transferred at the same time (such as a tick bite).

Sexual intercourse may not transfer ALL of the co-infections AND Borrelia at the same time. This allows for the immune system to function without the additional compounding effects of co-infections and multiple invaders all at once. In this respect it may take longer & maybe even never for the newly and partially affected individual to show symptoms.

On another note, I still have such trouble with the idea that oxygen kills Borrelia. A disease that is passed in the oxygen rich blood, which a tick must easily consume in order to transmit. Logic dictates that it must be readily available in the blood supply & that Borrelia MUST have mechanisms to avoid death by O2.

I would be more inclined to believe that O2 kills active forms of BB & forces them into cyst mode when levels increase.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

ugh, i am totally overwhelmed with all of this info and me and boyfriend are not even touching right now. : ( Maybe he should just find someone else and i should be celibate. I don't know what to do. I thought condoms would be enough to deal with the lyme, but if he can get sick from a non tongue kiss, or if i kiss him when i dont know if i possibly have unseen cuts in my mouth from a rice cake i ate the day before, then........????!!!! I dont undrstand how xylitol would prevent against this. Im really confused. I dont even care about anything happening to me. Im willing to take the risk to myself, i just dont want to feel i've made someone else ill. From all of this, I dont see how one can have a relationship at all.
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Seriously freaked out. We tried cuddling this weekend, fully clothed, me not facing him so i wouldnt spread my saliva, while I tried to figure out how to deal with all this. Later that day i kissed his arm and freaked out that tiny bits of my saliva might burrow into his skin. We've already kissed in past. Really freaking out.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Breathe. Just breathe. Do a few eye roll, big sigh, crinch up all your muscles and then relax a couple of times, breathe some more.

Get a drink of water, some fresh air and then remember the OTHER things that went along with this information. And that the mouth stuff was for EVERYONE, not just those who are ill.

All that I post is "said in a very soothing tone of voice" - really. I think that centering and simple matter of fact tone got lost through the computer.

Never a suggestion to stop kissing but suggestions in how to make that work FOR you.

If rice cakes tend to cut or tear your mouth, avoid them. Avoid ANY foods that do that, for the sake of your own mouth, first. The tissue cannot heal if it's being torn or cut.

All this detail in not intended to alarm or overwhelm but, rather, to protect.

Knowledge is power. It (well, acting upon that knowledge) protects us.

http://www.webdental.com/profiles/blogs/be-careful-who-you-kiss

Be Careful Who You Kiss: Diseases From Kissing

- by Todd Welch on September 9, 2010

You may have heard that the mouth is the dirtiest place in the body; this is because saliva contains numerous microorganisms. Human bites are said to be more dangerous than a dog bites as it contains more bacteria says the CDC.

Worldwide there are billions of kisses exchanged by people each year.

[insert: you mentioned kisses on the arm]

The air kiss, casual peck on the cheek or the cultured kiss on the hand aren�t much of a threat but a kiss that exchanges saliva from one another is a different matter. . . .

. . . The American academy of Periodontology says more than 75% of adults over 35 have some form of gum disease.

Since gum diseases are considered the equivalent of open wounds kissing or having oral sex when you or your partner had bleeding gums is an invitation for the transmission of unwanted organisms. . . .

. . . Be conscious to keep your mouth as healthy and germ free as possible everyday. Make sure your partner takes preventive actions too so that you can both enjoy those smooches.

Also don�t forget your pet!! When your beloved pet welcomes you home, slobbering your face with kisses, he is also gifting you his germs. . . .
-

[ 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You asked: "I dont undrstand how xylitol would prevent against this." (end quote)

Google:

Xylitol, periodontal disease

Xyliton, gum infection

LOTS of fabulous detail will pop up.

If either person has a sore throat, ulcer or blister it's still not a good idea to kiss as xylitol can't conquer all but it's an amazing helper to the world of safe kissing - and an amazing helper for mouth health.

With good habits for all parties involved and xylitol, you can feel so much better about going ahead with those wonderful kisses.

Here's a start:

http://xylitolcanada.com/media.htm

Xylitol & Oral Health

-----------------------

A WATERPIK is also a very good idea.
-

[ 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

My dentist once told me that the mouth is the MOST dirty, filthy, bacteria-laden orifice in our entire bodies, BAR NONE!

It's hard to believe, but it's true. The mouth provides fertile territory and safe harbor for all kinds of germs.

So as far as passing germs is concerned, a person would be safer licking someone else's butt or private parts than french kissing a person. People are not repulsed by french kissing, but they should be (even though I've always done it). Sorry to be so graphic.

--------------------
-chaps

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my husband does kiss the top of my head. He's so tall
And I'm so short works out better

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Keebler, thanks for your kind responses. I was overwhelmed here and had to take a break. I also called my LLMD and I was told that, according to her (and it seems LLMD's have variability in these views) Lyme can be trasmitted while flaring so protection is recommended then (I cant tell flaring from not, so i figure condoms will be 100% of the time) and kissing does not spread lyme. I didn't ask about possible bleeding or cuts in gums...

Keebler, where do you get xylitol...so u buy mints? Doesn't mint bother sensitive gums/tongue? I went ahead and picked up Auromere licorice this weekend. I worry about bad breath and brush like 5 times a day. I also drink celery/parsley (and sometimes mint) juice too that helps both with breath and body odor...I can add xylitol mints for breath and health.

Keebler, would you be willing to comment further about your opinion...Im still unclear as to whether I can pass lyme to partner if I have unknown abrasions to my mouth. I understand Chaps and others feel its possible to even spread lyme by my saliva touching someone's arm (burrowing in the skin) but Im asking Keebler, if you dont mind, Keelber. ...Since I started this discussion, either i have become more aware, or something has changed in my mouth. I notice sensitivity and I have what seems like an inflammed taste bud here and there (but usually nothing visual to confirm that). Im just worried that if I have micro-abrasions (even when Im being really careful to only eat soft foods the last two weeks I seem to have some sensitivity here and there in mouth) that I might be passing blood to him. Is that possible? How do we know that our mouth isn't bleeding unless we take a microscope to it prior to each kiss? Also, if i get tiny blood from flossing, how long should i wait before kissing?

My understanding in the past has been that it takes repeated exposure and with pressure or force (like i dont know - massive tongue kissing for five mins straight, not just a 30 second French or a non-tongue kiss)(unprotected sex would be a lot of pressure too of course) to get one blood supply to infect another. Keebler, would you be willing to comment on this?

NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

Want to thank you too, Keebler, for your time in responding. Thanks also to everyone who has responded, as well.
NatureGirl44
Member # 39326

I talked to my doctor and she said that if I have micrabrasions in my mouth that Im more at risk of contracting something from kissing rather than the other way around. I'll ask my other LLMD at January appointment.
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to compound the evidence of sexual transmission. In this case from Male to Female & then from the mother to her unborn children.

It also shows what the Australian government has been denying all along, the existence of Lyme in Australia.

This is a beautiful but tragic example of 3 lessons in one story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8o0WqSisfw&feature=endscreen&NR=1

(Kirsty Lilleyman this one is for you).

[ 05-11-2013, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Lymedin2010 ]

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement