LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » help--SSDI medical review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help--SSDI medical review
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on SSDI for going on 9 years. Just received a notice that for the first time my medical condition is to be reviewed in order for benefits to continue. We'll lose our house if my benefits are cut off, so I can't even consider that outcome.

Anyone else been through this process, and if so, what precise help can you offer about how to fill out the review form so that the process does not go to the next step of having a Social Security doctor involved ?

For background, I received SSDI benefits the 1st time I applied, and within 6 months of applying. I downplayed Lyme disease per se as the cause of my disability and relied instead on the results of a SPECT scan that clearly showed global and significant white matter brain disease.

Suggestions, please. I have another 3 or 4 days to send the form in, and a hurricane may well cut off my power by tomorrow night.

Thanks for any help.

Dill

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Dilly,

This is just a review. I would not worry about it.

As you are still disabled (or you would have said otherwise and been back out there) . . . all they need is for you to fill out the form.

IF they need to check with your doctor, they will do so but they may not. YOUR current doctor(s) would be asked FIRST. Likely, you would not be sent to a SSA doctor as is most often done for first-time applicants.

If you have any new tests or diagnoses, just share those.

They send out two (maybe three) basic forms. One is very easy, just a few boxes to check and you say if you are the same, better or worse.

Most often, that's all there is to it. Think it as they're wanting to help and just needing to be sure you still require such. And they do need to week out any potential moochers. So they just need the basic truth - it's that simple.

If they need more detail, they will contact you about that but just cross the T's and dot the i's for now - just be honest - and that's all that's being asked here of you now. Just share how it is and move on with taking care of yourself.

If still disabled (for whatever diagnoses), you will likely still receive benefits. They just have an automatic review process that everyone has to go through.

You do not have to prove it over from the start - just if you are the same, better or worse. Mostly.

As the storm approaches, I'm not sure I'd put that in ANY mailbox just yet.

Do make a copy of your replies before you mail it
- in case it gets lost. Same with any new test results, send only copies but those will usually come from your treating doctor IF they contact him.

If your home is in direct danger, keep those papers with your other important papers and carry with you if you leave.

Good luck in this weather. Take care.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Keebler, just fill out the forms. Just keep copies and do your best.

Sorry about your storm, be safe.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby had to do an update every 2 or 3 years so I am really surprised that this is the first time you have gotten an update form. It seemed like the form was a little different each time. But I do remember the last one I think asking about any recent hospitalizations or ER visits.

If you do not hear anything back within 6 or 8 weeks or definitely within 3 months then I would assume there would be no change to your disability status. This is one situation where actually no news is good news.

Just do your best, but as when filling out a new disability form you need to base your responses on your worst days and not your best days. Your worst symptoms are what made you disabled and what maintains that disability.

Good luck.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They determine the time before your next review by some guidelines that I cant recall. When you get ssdi they tell you when that will be.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the huge lapse in responding.

Hurricane Sandy knocked out our power for 4 days and we huddled under blankets in house temps in the low 50's, but that was merciful and short-term in comparison to what too many in NJ and NY are still suffering through.

Then, over a week ago, I went to the doc for what I thought was an ingrown hair related large bump and found out it was MRSA. EEK and ouch and sigh.

Anyway. Thank you in the extreme for the reassurances here and in PM's about the SSDI renewal process. I finally filled out the form a bit late, but hopefully in time, and hopefully coherently enough.

I think I'm OK if the review process is reasonable. I don't have a LLMD anymore---haven't had for several years. I lucked out, though, in finding a primary care doc who has battled Lyme herself and who is partnered with a doc who had to quit his surgery practice and do general doc duties because chronic Lyme had so severely impaired his vision.

They aren't LLMD's or even hugely Lyme-treating literate by any stretch of the imagination, but they DO know from personal experience that Lyme can become chronic and that it can be disabling. Glass more than half full.

Thanks again.

Dill

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very fact that you were not reviewed for 9 years means that even the Social Security Admin did not expect improvement.

They review in 1 year when Medical Improvement is Expected, in 3 years when Medical Improvement is Possible and 7 years when Medical Improvement is Not expected.

So, it sounds like you were pretty bad off during your initial application.

Like everyone else said, just fill out the forms honestly.

They won't stop your benefits unless they can prove that your condition has improved.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

thanks, Laxmom.

Of course I filled the forms out honestly. Given my many years in the bizarro land of Lyme, though, you'll have to forgive my doubts that our being honest in what we say about this disease translates into any sort of right or appropriate response/treatment.

I must say, it is a strange world when I feel relief that my condition is so bad that I can feel somewhat assured the government will give continue to pay back enough of the money I paid in over decades to allow my family to keep our house.

Glass still half full.

Dill

lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimesdilly: I meant be honest as in don't sugarcoat.

I had a 3 year review last December. It was a piece of cake. I filled out the forms and next thing I knew they sent me a letter stating I was still disabled.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement