LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wow -- Dr. B. is in a new Lyme book!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow -- Dr. B. is in a new Lyme book!
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone I just got an email about a new Lyme book with a chapter by Dr. B ... has anyone read it? Beginner's Guide to Lyme Disease, also authored by Dr. Nicola McFadzan who wrote the Lyme diet book.
http://lymebook.com/beginners-guide-nicola-mcfadzean-joseph-burrascano

The above website is charging $39.95 + shipping but I found the book MUCH CHEAPER on Amazon for $26 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beginners-Guide-Lyme-Disease/dp/0988243717/

Has anyone read the book? The table of contents looks pretty comprehensive and as far as I'm aware it's the only book available with info from Dr. B.

Thoughts? Comments? Worth buying?

Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that the only Dr. B input was the preface. Wish he would write his own book, but his guidelines cover a lot of ground and they are free.

It does have some of the newer things like methylation defects, etc which would be hard to research on your own, going thru archives, etc.

Wish it was on kindle.

I wonder if people are still buying Karen Forschner's book or Denise Lang's, which had good info too. There have been several books since those were written and I just stopped buying things after it became clear that there was no magic bullet for me anyway.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poppy, yea you are right, looks like Dr B doesn't have a big part in the book. Still though I wonder if a worthwhile purchase? I think I'll buy the eBook version and let you guys know if there's anything useful in there...
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought it and read it, thought it was excellent.

It is sighted for 'beginners' so may contain what you already know.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two of Dr. Nicola McFadzan's books.....I

really like her approach and she is very open to disclosing how she treats in "Insights into Lyme Disease".

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got this. And it seems like a valuable resource to go look things up. Checking your current protocol, etc. She is very practical too. Filling in the gaps from what you LLMD explains. I like her approach.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

The author recommends Teasel, Teasel doesn't seem to do anything for me, has anyone else had good results with Teasel?
nhlymeguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhlymeguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried Teasel...haven't noticed any differnece with it...I was dissappointed.
Posts: 222 | From NH | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

After taking Teasel for 5 days I think I might be having a herx, but hard to tell, may be a side effect. Whole body feels hot.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some joint swelling reduction at first when I did teasel drops, but now I think I get more mileage with curcumin powder in daily capsules, for both joint and tissue soreness alleviation.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Robin -- what brand of curcumin are you using? I've tried some and it doesn't seem to do anything.
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorne is a good one.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buhner states that Teasel is a great anti-inflammatory and can help with Lyme symptoms.

Also... (not trying to threadjack)... Buhner has a new book coming out in April 2013. It extensively covers Bartonella/Babesia/Mycoplasma etc.

More about coinfections and such.

Ok back on topic [Big Grin]

I find Dr B's guidelines to be amazing and very helpful. I still use them today.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

cane, good info... I like Buhner but he seems to write whole books about 2 herbs, seems like overkill. His Sida Acuta kicked butt for me for about a week then stopped working... that seems to be the problem - everything works and then stops.

Cane, which parts of Dr B guidelines have you found most helpful?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
teasel .. nothing for me (way back when)

I buy NOW brand curcumin from Swanson's Vitamins. It works well and is easy on the stomach.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anyone that has had great results with Teasel.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

I follow dr Bs eating guidelines, workout guidelines, vitamin recommendations (MagTabs are great!)

And I use mostly his combo abx protocols. Or something close.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Speaking of Dr. B's guidelines... I need to go on rifampin again but it really messed up my hormones/liver. Has ANYONE been able to take the stuff long term without problems?
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had liver issues in the past and Rifampin actually made mine go down. I've been on it about 6 months. I don't know if that's considered long-term or not.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

summer - rifampin HELPED your liver issues? really? do you have labwork to show that? thats really something.
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on rifampin since January. I had my best months ever in May and June.

How important is it to take rifampin on an empty stomach?

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Ktk, you had good months in May and June but what about now? is the improvement holding?
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dan67,

My ALT, AST and bilirubin were abnormal after a tick bite (even before taking any abx). They went way up while I was on Mepron but then stayed up for a while off everything and then started going up again by themselves. They all dropped drastically down into the normal levels right after starting Rifampin.

It's apparently very unusual for this to happen on this med, but I guess my liver enzyme elevations were more due to bartonella or Lyme infecting my liver. I had not changed anything in terms of detoxing or liver support.

Rifampin absorbtion is reduced by about 1/3 when taken with food according to this: http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=1076777&issueno=1

[ 11-25-2012, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Summer3 ]

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin elevated all my hormones (estrogen/progesterone) and reduced my thyroid considerably and I am hypothyroid.

I adjusted my thyroid meds and then got off Rifampin and went on to Cipro.

As far as the recommendation to take away from food, most people can't tolerate Rifampin on an empty stomach. My LLMD said to take with food because otherwise I will end up with severe tummy troubles. I missed eating once with it and I can tell you it wasn't pleasant.

There are other abx that must be taken with food because of the gastro upset they cause. Sometimes the LLMD will increase the dose to compensate for the lower absorption rate when taken with food. It just all depends on what your LLMD suggests.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

I just got off Rifampin. Very dissapointed. I think I gained 4 pounds in a week, maybe due to the hormone issues it causes? And no improvement to speak of.
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

OK, moving on from Rifampin to the Dr. K parasite protocol.... any feedback?
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Can someone please help me. On pg 134 of this book, Dr. Mcfadzan states that Amox may be given as 3-6 grams (yes, GRAMS) daily. Yet, my doctor says this is crazy and won't prescribe more than 500mg 2x/daily. Is 3-6 grams of this drug safe? Do I need that much for it to be effective? Thanks...
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From page 18 of Burrascano:

"*Amoxicillin- Adults: 1g q8h plus probenecid 500mg q8h; doses up to 6 grams daily are often needed"

In English, this is one gram every 8 hours... up to 6 grams daily. So, the Mcfadzan book is just quoting the Burrascano Guidelines.

I took 4.5 gram daily (1,500 mg 3 times per day) with probinecid and that is how I got rid of lyme disease. I was on this dosage for about 2 years! So, I'd say it is quite safe.

Added flagyl when I got to a good lyme doctor, and that was the end of lyme.

I don't think 500 mg twice per day is going to do much for you. Your doctor is not giving you the high doses that Burrascano recommends.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dan67:
[QB] Robin -- what brand of curcumin are you using? I've tried some and it doesn't seem to do anything.

I buy turmeric in bulk at the healthfood store and dip a capsule into it. Can turn the sink yellow!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

I'm re-reading this book and finding it to be pretty good, but wondering if anyone has comments on the naturopathic vs. allopathic treametment methodology. this author is a naturopathic doc, but also uses antibiotics. I'm trying to decide which path to do more heavily... thoughts?
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

up... still wondering if anyone can answer my above question.
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faithful777 said,
quote:
Rifampin elevated all my hormones (estrogen/progesterone) and reduced my thyroid considerably and I am hypothyroid.
It's interesting that you say that because Rifampin has been known to induce hypothyroidism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17725438

But the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin has been shown to significantly increase the production of T3 and T4 thyroid hormones...... at least in rats it has. And Ciprofloxacin's ability to increase the production of thyroid hormones was increased by taking certain vitamins concurrently with the Ciprofloxacin.

http://tinyurl.com/cd4ed69

But on the other hand Ciprofloxacin may inhibit the absorption of thyroid medication when thyroid when oral thyroid medication taken at the same time as Ciprofloxacin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC557149/

So, they should probably be taken at different times of the day.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement