LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Should I Bother To Eat On TPN?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I Bother To Eat On TPN?
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone...I am scheduled to have TPN tommorow. I am actually slightly relieved, as I think it is the only viable option to help me heal quickly. I have one question that is puzzling me however...Should I continue to try to eat while on the TPN?

I really would rather not and just let the IV take care of it for at least a few weeks, but if I do that, am I creating a situation where when I attempt to eat again, my body will have a terribly hard time adjusting to any food I put in? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much . Jess.

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
That's not for us to decide but your doctor.

However, the phrasing of the question, as to whether to "bother to eat" is of concern. "Rather not"? Is that due ONLY to the effects? Or to the energy it takes, etc.?

Your relationship to food will need to be examined as your DOCTOR is the one to guide you here on if and when you will be eating - and what.

ONLY non-GMO foods would be safe, however. (See film: GMO Roulette)

Right now, the greens powders should help. Pureed foods, too. I've not noticed in your previous posts that PUREED FOODS have been a big part of this but they can help a great deal.

Get the work started before you put it into your mouth. Hold it IN your mouth for as long as possible so nutrients can be absorbed from under the tongue.

If you don't think your stomach can take it, then spit it out but at least by holding some foods in your mouth, you may absorb some nutrients -- those that would NOT be on any "allergy-sorting-out" list, of course.

I think it's also important for your mouth to get some good tastes with real food, even if just a little bit. This will help your relationship with food. Enjoyment of flavor is important and, somehow, I hope you can get that.

JUICING, too. SPIRULINA. BONE BROTH (from organically fed and humanely-raised chickens).

The author, blogger, professional below has been posted many times for you over many months. By all indications, you've not yet gotten the book so I can only assume it's a matter of budget.

See if the library can get it for you.

You ask excellent questions and have a very serious condition. It seems that someone like below is FAR better suited to address these concerns.

She's been on TPN, herself. She's found ways her body could come back. I do hope you will explore her materials. She can answer you far better than most who have not been through this.

Even if you have to figure out a way to pay for the book, her blog has a great deal of information. I've learned a great deal from her.

Of course both the doctor guiding the TPN and your LLMD should be guiding you but my guess is that there are answers below, too:

http://livingwithgastroparesis.com/

Living (Well) with Gastroparesis! � by Crystal Saltrelli, CHC

A Gastroparesis Patient-Expert and Certified Health Counselor . . .

. . . professional training in Health Counseling and Holistic Nutrition at IIN . . .

. . . seven years of personal and professional experience managing the physical and emotional symptoms of gastroparesis. . . .

Her book (with 75 recipes), & reviews:

http://livingwithgastroparesis.com/shop/

Living (Well!) with Gastroparesis: Answers, Advice, Tips & Recipes for a Healthier, Happier Life

December 2011 - About the Author:

. . . currently the only Certified Health Counselor specializing in gastroparesis management and one of very few health professionals with both personal and professional experience with the condition. . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Well-Gastroparesis-Answers-Healthier/dp/0615547753/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You can LOOK INSIDE the book here

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/0615547753?tag=bloforthebri-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380553

Over 30 Customer Reviews, each a top 5 stars

The reviews are very encouraging.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much Keebler...I did ask my doctor since I posted and he said it is up to me but that it might not be a bad idea to try to eat while on it, but only small amounts. Your idea about putting food in, even if I spit it out to get the flavor, is a good one, I think.

I do need to change my relationship to food in the sense that I fear food so much now. I have gone from seeing food as my healer and the energy that helps sustain me to now seeing it as my tormentor. I get so incredibly ill after eating anything that it has made me legitimately terrified of food.

I do hope that when my GI issues start to calm down and when I get more energy from the IV nutrition I will have a less anxious outlook with food. I ordered the book that you suggested on here yesterday by the way. Thanks. Jess.

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may be able to handle some egg-drop soup.

In your chicken bone broth, after it's been chilled, fat skimmed - take some of the gelatin it made, add water and bring to a simmer.

In a glass dish, stir egg with a whisk and then slowly add into the simmering broth. You want a very thin line of egg to hit the broth so that the "food" it makes is also very thin and would require no chewing.

Whisk very gently as you add but if you whisk too much, the egg can nearly disappear (though that might be just what you'd want).

If you can handle a bit of spice, curry is a favorite for this. Or a sprig of fresh thyme. Or both.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Thank you, I will try that! Jess.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Regardless of if, when, how with food, I hope you will consider all kinds of GREEN, WHITE and HERB teas.

Not only can they bring you some great flavor, many are chock full of important nutrients. Especially KUKICHA TEA, the lowest of all in caffeine. Lots of minerals in that.

Just be sure to avoid the processed teas that have any "NATURAL FLAVORS" - AVOID THOSE.

Even if you go without eating and let the TPN do it all, I think it just can't get to the inside of your stomach, so to speak.

It would seem to me that you'd still benefit from the inside of your stomach also being bathed in whatever real food nutrients you can, however on the watery side you'd need.

TEA can help in that regard, along with other things that a professional in this area might suggest.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
COLON health? How's that going to be addressed during this time. Be sure to ask as you would need to be sure the entire GI tract, tip top to exit point, will be nourished and "exercised" appropriately.

There may be some liquid formulas to take to help the bowels from becoming "glued" to itself inside, so to speak -- lubricated and getting some muscle workout, however possible.

Juicing is excellent but you may also need some kind of bulk for your colon. THAT is what helps pull toxins out of the body.

ISOMETRIC exercises may be required for the belly and lower gut.

I'd also explore UPLEDGER TECHNIQUE VISCERAL MANIPULATION.
-

[ 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried juicing? I myself have never done it, just an idea.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Jess,

You say that you "ordered the book that you suggested on here yesterday by the way." (end quote)

Splendid. You know I would have kept posting that until the (free ranging, grass-fed) cows come home - so - glad to hear that is finally now on its way to you.

I hope it helps.
-

chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Thanks Keebler!...I am looking forward to reading it..Jess.
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were you, I'd give yourself a 24-48 hour break from anything solid initially, just to give your stomach a break from dealing with food.

Liquids, however, are good. Water. And anything else liquid you can keep down. But only sips, taken in slowly and calmly. No big gulps or guzzling. And no pressure to finish the cup or glass or bowl.

Chewing gum - xylitol-sweetened, no artificial chemical sweeteners - is also good, because it maintains the jaw and swallowing muscles. And xylitol inhibits tooth decay, which can become an issue while on TPN and not eating solids.

After the first day or two on liquids only, then maybe try to start to nibble on solids. But again, no pressure to finish anything. And only take small nibbles, slowly. Stop if you notice an increase in nausea, to let the nausea calm down again before trying anything else solid.

My reason for advising the above is so that you can re-create a positive relationship with food. No pressure. Small tidbits. Stop if nausea increases, and try later when no longer feeling so nauseated.

Tell yourself there is no pressure to get nutrition from food - this is solely for your psychological benefit. You are re-discovering food one tidbit at a time only. Those are the keys to re-creating the relationship with food.

I had to do the same thing...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

razzle-I will never be able to thank you enough for yr posts..they are just so comforting to me. I chew gum a lot so that is a good thing to know..I will def just take sips of fluids and I will take your suggestion about giving myself a day or two break from food.

Yes I def need to re create a positive relationship with food, no question. I almost feel like I have a borderline eating disorder now in the sense that I fear food and see it as a source of pain. I look at food now and I shake because I know that invariably it will make me feel sick(er) than I already do.

I need to remember that food can be healing and fun and all that stuff..Once again, thank you so much for yr posts and PMs..they helped me make the decision to do this. Jess.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.oprah.com/food/All-About-Tea-and-Its-Healing-Powers-Aine-McAteers-Blog

Have Another Cuppa Tea: Different Types of Tea

-By Aine McAteer � 2010 � 3 pages

Excerpts:

KUKICHA Tea

Kukicha tea, also known as Bancha tea, is a staple in the macrobiotic diet. It is often referred to as "three-year tea" because it is made from the tea tree's twigs, stems and coarse leaves that have matured for up to three years in paper bags. Kukicha tea is said to be highly alkalizing . . . .

. . . It is also a good source of calcium, zinc, selenium, copper and magnesium and is high in antioxidants. . . .

Page 3: . . . Healing Herbs and Spices

------------------

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tea_bev/tea_red.html

Mountain Rose Herbs - they have many good loose teas

HONEYROO TEA - Red Rooibos and the natural sweetness of Honeybush

http://www.taooftea.com/teas.php

The Tao of Tea

- scroll all the way down at each of their links, extensive detail and offerings that may not be apparent at first click.
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful - thanks! So good to know you are getting the help you need [Smile]

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chastain, I am not a dr, let alone your dr, However, from my research, after advising a client who was on TPN, it seemed clear that one NEEDS to eat while on TPN, as TPN isn't enough in terms of calories or nutrients to supplant eating.

Razzle clearly has the most personal experience here. And your dr's advice is crucial. But if I were you, I would eat as much as you comfortably can while on TPN.

I am relieved that you are doing TPN, as it just hasn't been possible for you to eat enough to maintain health.

Are you getting your TPN compounded, or are you getting it pre-made? With compounded, you have the ability to get it made to what you need, plus avoid sugar, etc.

However, I know that it is expensive, and doesn't last a long time after you receive it.

Onward and upward!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Rumigirl,

Yes, it is possible to get sufficient calories, carbohydrates, fats & proteins through TPN without needing to eat along with it. I was fed for a year this way, because I could not swallow or eat or drink anything at all during that year.

Also, it is not possible to avoid sugar while on TPN - sugar is an essential ingredient in the TPN formula and cannot be omitted.

TPN is not compounded - the base mix (amino acids) is manufactured by a few select companies. The nutrition profile is what is compounded - the minerals, vitamins, proportions of saline, lipids, amino acids, etc.

There are companies who make TPN that is shelf-stable for a year or so, but it is very expensive and hard to find. Most TPN is only good for a week or so once it is mixed into the custom compounded proportions for the individual.

--------------------
-Razzle

Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chastain:
Yes I def need to re create a positive relationship with food, no question. I almost feel like I have a borderline eating disorder now in the sense that I fear food and see it as a source of pain. I look at food now and I shake because I know that invariably it will make me feel sick(er) than I already do.

I feel the same way. Although I am not dangerously thin, I have lost significant weight from these illnesses. I initially cut out gluten, dairy and sugar for health reasons but now I'm getting OCD about it. I find myself not wanting to eat anything sometimes because I know it will make me feel worse. Not nauseous, but shaky, weak, exhausted etc.

I hope that TPN works out for you. I'm glad that you were able to get some help. I know from reading your posts that you were struggling with weight loss for a long time.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement