LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diflucan is making me very weak...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diflucan is making me very weak...
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Diflucan for about 2 weeks. I am also doing the anti-candida diet. I started with 1/2 dose and when I took a full dose I was bedridden for 3 days. So I stopped for a couple days to allow myself to recoup. Now Im back on the 1/2 dose and still feeling really weak. I have no energy, I sleep 10 hours a night again, I have palpitations, fatigue and sweats.

Is this all very normal for a Diflucan herx or am I having some negative reaction to the med/diet?

This feels eerily similar to my Babesia symptoms but when I treated Babesia I had horrific candida that was not addressed by my then LLMD. So, I can't differentiate the two.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your yeast is probably way worse than you thought. Keep on the diet, but eat plenty of VEGETABLES.

Get your carbs, but in a healthy way. You may feel totally listless because you are not getting enough carbohydrates.

(and yes, some of it is from a herx)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should check with your doctor. To assume everything is a herx or die off could be dangerous. Sometimes it is a reaction or a side effect instead.

I just had an awful time wit diflucan myself. Severe joint pains throughout my body. I was told by some it was die off or a herx, but after getting a second opinion from an LLMD it could possibly be a side effect.

If it's making you that weak I would be concerned and would not continue it until speaking with your doctor.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tolerate diflucan either. It was not a herx for me but an allergy or intolerance. I was horribly fatigued, weak, dizzy and broke out in the worst rashes.

Maybe try another anti-fungal/anti-candida treatment and see if the same thing happens.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fatigue is a common symptom of acute liver failure. Might want to check with your Doc to make sure this isn't the case. Fatigue could also be a result of the diet and cutting sugar, carbs. Hope you feel better soon.
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Diflucan in itself can lower blood sugar, which could make you feel weird, palpitations, etc.. so make sure you're ok there, too.
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Another cause of palpitations is dehydration, so make sure you're hydrated.
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to restore your gut flora with probiotics and things like sauerkraut, yogurt or kefir. A healthy immune system is based on on a healthy gut flora.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all! I did stop the Diflucan to see how I feel. I agree that its probably a reaction to the drug, extreme die-off and a lack of carbs.

Im going to try some alternatives and see how I do. And I am taking probiotics 250 billion a day but I will try to add in some other things like sauerkraut.

I can't do dairy, it makes my yeast worse?! Even plain kefir/yougurt. I'll try some coconut kefir.

--------------------

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't do dairy either. I am sensitive to it, but before I found that out, I found that eating yogurt or kefir just made my yeast worse.

Hope you can continue to follow the diet and then hit the yeast with the Diflucan. Take 1/2 the dose in the beginning.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamers

Please be careful with Diflucan. I developed heart palps on it and my doctor told me it can interfere with your heart. In fact, I posted about this on lymenet several years ago. I really would think twice about using this. Also, the head of fungal infections at Duke Medical Center told me he sees a number of patients who are on antifungals and should not be. He said there is rampant false info about it on the Internet. He said candida is easily detected by culture and Only found in extremely rare cases.

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Candida is NOT rare among Lyme patients!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lymetoo, it's rampant. Most people don't even know they have it. It rarely shows up on tests. Fatigue is the yeast die off. This is when you need to clear your system out the most. Lemon water, exercise, etc.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Jamers, You are very smart to try the coconut kefir and sauerkraut. Yeast's favorite sugar is milk sugar, so that's probably why you can't consume dairy. Hope you feel better soon! Two weeks is a good amount of time on the Diflucan, you could save the rest for later. [Smile]

I had a Doc tell me that wheat AND dairy can cause the leaky gut and cause Candida to go outside of our intestines and into the bloodstream so this may be something you want to consider, even if you don't have "Celiac" persay.. Good luck!

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One pill of Diflucan made me feel fluish and fatigued. Put me in bed for at least a day.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew diflucan can cause such herxes! I am working on anti candida diet. What are the healthy carbs you are referring to? Still trying to figure this all out. thanks
Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daughter gets very fatigued when treating yeast.

Diflucan is too strong for her and Nystatin causes lots of die off.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by CherylSue:
One pill of Diflucan made me feel fluish and fatigued. Put me in bed for at least a day.

-
Then you likely have a bad case of yeast, CherylSue.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by didogs:
What are the healthy carbs you are referring to? Still trying to figure this all out. thanks

-
Broccoli
green beans
celery
ANYTHING GREEN!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast in and of itself is such a big monster that so many of us have to deal with.

But also Diflucan hits parasites....perhaps that has something to do with why you had such a strong reaction. I found this out while I was on Nystatin and my reaction to it. I then went on to parasite treatment....and have been at it for 9+ months. I had NO CLUE I had such a monstrous parasite infection.

Best to you.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winni
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago I decided to see how i would react to Diflucan. I hadn't taken it in about 6 months but was experiencing alot of twitching, random burning and rashes. Someone suggested yeast so i thought i would see if i had a reaction.

I took 1, 100mg pill and i was literally down for about 6 days. So yes, I have a yeast issue, but the reaction was scary. Heart palips, increased burning and headache.

I am going to be starting the Byron White A-fng in the next couple of weeks and will be doing other things, herbally from here on out.

Not only do i know i am overloaded, but i certainly do not want to relive that experience again.

Just my thoughts.

--------------------
Winni

Posts: 150 | From Nebraska | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I dare say every single person here will deal with yeast sooner or later. May as well make it sooner. Deal with it now.

Prevent it now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh!! Never thought of broccoli and green beans to be carbs! Yuk. Is brown rice allowed? Thanks all for sharing your experiences-this does not sound fun. Enjoy your celery!!!!
Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

I came across my old post that came up again randomly. I honestly think that while it hits yeast Tammy N is on the right track with hitting parasites also. I have had some weird things exiting, if you know what I mean... Also, I don't have as many symptoms of yeast anymore but have what some consider parasitic: crawling sensation all over, floaters/vision changes, depression, and then I've been getting fatigued and sweating like crazy!! I don't know why but Diflucan makes me sweat a lot. I've been off antibiotics for months now and still have these symptoms that wont go away but react to Diflucan.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I would not eat brown rice while you are trying to get rid of yeast. Once you get it under control you can have it occasionally.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks lymetutu - great info as always.

I felt great on 150 mg per day of diflucan for 2 weeks - got more done in those two weeks than in the last year. I finally had more energy and wasn't sleeping all day.

As soon as I went off, the symptoms returned, so my llmd was able to put me back on it. 200 mg/day now, and they also told me to try to stop the abx and malarone for now and see how I do (since it was perpetuating the yeast situation).

Also doing candida diet as well as natural antifungal rotation.

But now I am feeling sleepy a lot and have to occasionally nap. Not sure if it's die-off or having stopped the abx and malarone.

If the fatigue continues, may consider going back on babs meds, perhaps beyond balance bab-2 that my daughter is taking.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement