LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cough that won't go away

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cough that won't go away
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on IV Vancomycin for almost a month now, and I was on IV Clinda/ Zith before that. I am also on Artemisia, Malarone, and Levaquin. I have had a cough for 2-3 weeks now. It started off as body ache and chills, and then the cough came.

I went to my primary care, and he said that I am on the strongest stuff, so I can't have any kind of infection. I don't have a fever and any body aches or chills I have now are more related to treatment.

My question is what am I supposed to do about this? Why aren't the meds making it go away? It isn't a dry cough, either; It is a productive cough.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lassie27
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lassie27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could it be an allergy?
Posts: 109 | From North East | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive had a productive cough now over 5 years. I dont smoke but have horrible coughing spells in the morning. I suspect mine is due the acid reflux and esophageal inflammation that i have. If you suffer with any of these issues you may want to investigate further. I should also say that Bart is a major contributor to this condition.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treat parasites and read up on lungworm = varestrongylus klapowi. Per Dr. K., the majority of people with Lyme have parasites, and the Lungworm is one of them causing coughing, breathing, wheezing, asthma, sinus problems. Lungworm moves from gut area all the way up.

www.klinghardtacademy.com and do some googling on the internet.
I have posted about the lungworm infestation here many times.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs can cause caughing with flem extraction from lungs. For me it has come and gone several times.

I think I read somewhere it could also be FL1953.

I hope you don't have Gigi's dx. But I've been heeding her advise and just started to ramp slowly with Salt/C myself.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fungal sinus infections can also cause this from post-nasal drainage. Abx won't kill fungus.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a virus. Maybe try some of the stronger herbal antivirals such as echinachia, lomatium or osha. And of course vitamin c and zinc would help if it was viral.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have had a cough that just won't go away. Pre-lyme, though, sometimes after getting a cold, I would have a cough that would linger sometimes for weeks at a time before abating. I'm just chalking it up to that, as I got a cold about a month ago that lasted a couple of weeks. The cold symptoms seem to be all gone...except for the cough, that is...

Good luck!

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for all of your input!

I think it is either something secondary due to a compromised immune system or possibly Babs or Bart coming out on this current treatment.

I will go back to my non-LL primary next week if it is still around, although he was pretty comfortable that no infections could be present on the Vancomycin. I have a phone conference with my LLMD in two weeks if all else fails.

I think I already know the answer to this because steroids are so bad, but would it be awful if I just got one little steroid shot to see if it went away?

I can already feel the judgement...yes, I realize that it can be the straw that breaks the camel's back and further suppresses the immune system, but I am ready to stop coughing!

--------------------

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
every morning i cough until i coiugh up this greenish yellowish crud. i swear it's almost solid.

then i'm ok. but i cough like a smoker. i've had every test, all normal.

but it just hangs on and on....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeny
Member # 35984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask your primary to give you a nebulizer treatment. I have used this myself and also for my daughter who has Lyme and asthma, I am hoping not to jinx it but i have been able to avoid putting her on oral steriods by using the nebulizer
Posts: 92 | From New Yorl | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a cough that is lingering after the flu for weeks!

The doc listened to my lungs and said I might have slight ashtma! Like I needed that on top of everything else.

He gave me an inhaler and I used it for a few days but I still feel the ashtma feeling, specially if go out in the cold air.

Hopeny, what did you use in the nebulizer for you and your daughter? I've heard neubalized Gllutathione is good but haven't gotten it yet. Someone else said to try Collidial Silver.

I'm taking fish oil and putting Castor Oil on my throat and back to calm down the inflamation possibly.

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per Dr. K. some 80% of people with Lyme have and suffer from Lungworm. Please read my post above and do not wait to get it checked. The coughing is definitely a part of it and so is wheezing, shortness of breath sometimes, and asthma for some. Chest does not feel as easy as it used to.
Stringy slime when caughing or brushing teeth/spitting out.

You are not doing yourself any good by waiting - The longer you wait, the longer the treatment.

Labs of course won't find anything. It is easily identified with energy testing, ART, EAV, etc. if they have the testing material. Not many doctors are aware of this.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi, does ivermectin kill lungworm?

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mycoplasma pneumonia?

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Thanks, Gigi.

Surprise, I actually did have really high Mycplasma Pneumonia levels when I switched LLMD's in August and had testing redone. I didn't have a cough then or even had one for years before that.

I don't know if the levels are still high, but I have been wondering if they are related and what I would do if they are...since I am on an antibiotic already.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement