LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Kinda Confused-Which Coinfection To Treat First?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kinda Confused-Which Coinfection To Treat First?
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone...I have tested serum positive for lyme and over 10 coinfections including babesia, HHV6, epstein barr, RMSF and ehrlichia. My LLMD also suspects I have bart because of major neuro issues and streaks/rashes that come and go that look like "classic bart" to him. My question is this-with so many coinfections, what do I hit on first? Is there a kind of "rule" with these illnesses that you should treat one particular coinfection first, or do you just hit on whatever?

My LLMD is thinking that perhaps we should hit bart when I start IV abx for lyme which will be in about 3 weeks..He is thinking bart because my neuro issues are so severe. I have taken rifampin before though and it gave me lots of side effects but I had no real diminishment of symptoms...Im just so confused as to how to proceed and was looking for any guidance...Thanks in advance. Jess.

Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, the lyme doctors start out by treating lyme and the coinfection that is bothering you the worst.

Some start out treating lyme, babs, and bart all at once.

Many would put you on doxy in the beginning as it treats ehrlichia and lyme. Plus they would add meds for the worst coinfection.

Actually, you should not need guidance from fellow patients. Your lyme doctor should be determining the treatment plan.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF-...I am looking for people's imput because I think other's experiences are valuable and help me make my decisions. I trust my LLMD but he also is a but baffled as to how to proceed and we work in collaboration, so it is important for me to do my own investigation. Thanks. Jess.
Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your doctor is a bit baffled, that is not a good sign.

You want a doctor who has had many, many cases like yours and knows exactly how to proceed. The patient should not be making the treatment decisions since the patient is not a lyme doctor.

The doctor's expertise is the key to getting rid of this horrendous disease.

It is not pleasant to tell you this, but it is true. So, if you have not done so already, it is time to start looking for a much better doctor.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to echo TF: your doctor should not be confused.

When I left my last practioner - who meant very, very well, and knew more than many - it was because I felt like I was directing the treatment. I seriously thought about traveling to an ILADS conference so I could tell her what I thought my next steps should be.

It is much, much better to work with someone who actually knows what they're doing.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

My LLMD knows what he is doing it's just that I simply don't respond to meds the way the vast majority of his patients have, and it is baffling to him. To be honest, I am friends with a former LLMD who was once president of ILADS and even he is puzzled at my case. It is the most complex and involved that he has come across as well.

I think we need to be our own advocates and such with this illness. One of my dearest friends always says "we have to be our own drs" in some ways with this illness and I agree. Perhaps we just have different approaches but I cannot rely on any dr to "know all" in a case like mine. Hence, my appreciation for a site like this where I can gather info and others' experiences.

I appreciate the advice, Garden and TF. I hope for a healthy future soon, whether it be with this llmd or another. Jess.

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your doc is who I think it is (you posted positively on another post), then I used to see him. Although he is very nice and knowledgeable, my gut told me to leave him, even though some people really like him. Although I'm grateful for his treatment (got me to a certain point) I am glad I moved on. I know I made the right decision. That said, my doc thinks highly of him.

I know someone who absolutely loved your doc until she eventually realized that somewhere along the line, she was slowly deteriorating. She eventually moved on and was glad she did.

I've had several lyme docs. Whenever I switched docs, I tried not to bad mouth the last doc.
Each time I switched docs, the next doc found something else. Looking back, I made improvement with every doc I saw.

I understand why you are looking for answers. I'm always looking for them too. Respectfully, maybe it's time to consider finding someone new with a fresh perspective.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

catgirl, I will PM you about my doc and see if we are talking about the same person. Thanks. Jess.
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know for myself I need a doctor that I feel I can have some "conversation" with about my treatment plan. My LLNP has frequently asked my opinion as to how I feel about doing this vs that etc. She has asked me what my most bothersome symptom is in order to help guide my treatment.

While I feel yes the doctor needs to know how to proceed there needs to be an ongoing conversation between the doctor and patient in order to come up with the best treatment plan.

At times she has suggested a protocol that I either did not feel comfortable in doing or had other reasons as to why I wanted to stay away from a particular med. She has always respected my opinion/decisions and I feel that is important as well.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Ellen-THANK YOU! I could not agree more. I like my dr precisely because he doesn't pretend to have all the ansers but at the same time is tireless in his search to try to help me, and he makes me feel like a collaborator in my treatment. Jess.
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had both type of LLMDs: an empathic collaborator and a Lyme expert drill sargeant.

In my case, I needed a collaborator because my body doesn't respond to meds/supps normally. I am soooo sensitive, I have to take baby doses of meds.

I am grateful for the expertise of both of them.

Each one teased out different diagnoses and different pieces of the puzzle. Now, I am able to take those jumbled up puzzle pieces to a Lyme practitioner who is a combination of the 2 types of Drs...hopefully, I will start making progress.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Lax mom-I am really sensitive to meds too, and my llmd understands that. He is incredibly smart and empathetic. I feel lucky to have him. We had a few issues of miscommunication in the beginning and we worked it out and now we have a really great collaborative relationship. I hope we both make progress soon [Smile] . Jess.
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Jess. I think there needs to be some collaboration. One of my LLMD's was ranked by many as #1 in my area, with high regards, but I was a difficult case. And it seems that they are just starting to understand Parasites such as Proto (FL1953) and how to treat. And that perhaps they need to treat parasites first and then co-infection or lyme. And sometimes you need input from people that have gotten better. But if you feel and see a deterioration then you need a second opinion.
Posts: 696 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, how long have you been treating? Was there a medication that you improved on? Perhaps that can give you a clue as what to go after first this time around?
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Hi kudzu-well, I dont' count the treatment that I had before my current LLMD because it was so truncated and inadequate, so I would say around 11 months. However, I have not had consistent treatment for all that time because of the fact that I developed a life threatening case of c diff in the spring and thus was off all lyme meds for many months.

I saw my LLMD and we had a long talk and the plan is to put me on IV abx in a few weeks once my weight goes up to 85 lbs or more. Thanks for all the support, btw. You have been really gracious to me, both on the board and in PMs and it is appreciated. Jess.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement