LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Which lab is best (and most thorough) for Methylation testing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which lab is best (and most thorough) for Methylation testing?
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi friends,

I know I have methylation issues (I am homozygous for MTHFR). My doc wants me to have the full panel done, as do I. I don't think he knows the full ins and outs of methylation issues (who does??) but at least he's trying. I think he mentioned Genova labs? I'm waiting for a test kit from his office.

In the meantime I wanted to ask my super-smart friends here on Lymenet. Before I spend more money I want to be sure I am with the best lab that has the most accurate and thorough testing.

Also, isn't there one of the labs that offers supplement suggestions based on the findings?

Thanks for sharing. I really need help with this. I've been reading off and on for a year on this topic and it resonates very deeply with what I feel. But I find it all so confusing. I believe this is one of my biggest stumbling blocks without a doubt. I've always had sulfur/sulfite/sulfate issues. I've told every single doctor over the last 20 years but no one knew what to do. Now at least I know it has a name.... 'methylation...' and I believe there are answers to be found. I'm on the search.

Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The full Methylation Panel can be done through Dr. Yasko's lab:

http://www.holisticheal.com/health-tests/nutrigenomic-testing/comprehensive-methylation-panel-with-methylation-pathway-analysis.html

The test from Genova only looks at MTHFR and a few other genes involved with general Phase 1 & Phase 2 liver detox, not the full methylation panel (I've had both the methylation panel from Dr. Yasko, and the DetoxiGenomic panel from Genova).

Also, the results from Dr. Yasko's Methylation Panel includes a list of supplement recommendations. However, it is a good idea to have guidance on how best to begin the protocol, as sometimes certain specific genetic variants needs to be dealt with first before the others.

For Sulfite/Sulfur issues, most important supplements are:

Molybdenum - the enzymes that process sulfites/sulfur amino acids rely on the presence of molybdenum to function.

Vitamin B12 - binds directly to sulfites, rendering them unable to trigger mast cell activation and sulfite reaction. I take B12 for prevention of sulfite reactions, and for treatment if I do have a sulfite reaction.

Zinc, Magnesium, Iron - other supporting minerals needed by the sulfite enzyme pathway.

Vitamin B6 - in moderation; may need the P5P form instead (active B6) if other methylation issues are present.

Sulfite avoidance is challenging, but necessary. PM me with your email address if you want the big 5-page list of sulfited foods...

Yes, it is very complicated and confusing. I've been researching methylation issues since diagnosed with Sulfite Sensitivity in 2003, and still don't feel like I really fully comprehend it...

Heartfixer's website is also helpful:
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

I hope this helps...take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked at this site:
https://www.facebook.com/mthfrsupport

Here is a more specific link to MTHFR screening and coding
https://www.facebook.com/notes/mthfr-support/mthfr-screening-and-coding-information/468938396457736

There was a discussion about 23 and me testing on one of the yahoo groups but I can't seem to find it right now.

I think the other type of testing in this area is Yasko?

How do you know you are homozygous for MTHFR? What test shows that?

I know very little about this... I got well without having to investigate this angle.

I do know many people who are testing and treating according to MTHFR testing results.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yasko panel was a loss to us because it provided no real/remedial solutions, not even to our doctors.

Be sure to check out http://allergie-immun.de/Englisch/ and don't think of this as treatment of allergies as we know them.

I know that most people who have been tested with Allergy Immun had problems with enzymes. Enzymes are protein molecules that are catalysts to accelerate chemical reactions. They are indispensable for the metabolism. I had the same problem as most all of the many who did the test and the ones who did the therapy and were successful in correcting the accumulated dysregulations.

"Different enzymes serve different substrates and different chemical reactions. Enzymes are located in all cells of the body, many of them are specific to an organ system. When cell damage occurs, the enzymes produced in cells transgress to the blood. The body acts on metabolism when enzyme activity is inhibited or strengthened." I learned this from Mr. Grundmeyer who is the researcher of this Allergie-Immun Institute.

Check this out http://healerdealerdiary.blogspot.de/ Articles #2 and 3 are about Allergie Immun.

There is a thread with several thousand posts on LN called Allergie Immun Germany. All whose test I have seen or heard about were not able to detox the most infamous toxic metals � mercury, lead, copper, nickel, etc; all had lost the ability to regulate detoxing. Think of being exposed to 80,000 chemicals and new ones daily! Correcting the dysregulation means the immune system is responding in the proper way, but the detoxing still has to be supported; in other words, we don�t all of a sudden dispose of the tub full of metals and chemicals we had accumulated over years of dysfunction and need to deal with that.

My good friend who could not tolerate a morsel of a cookie when made with wheat can now eat a whole loaf of French Bread! And she is also dumping toxins, mostly lead, by the truckload now � before and after parasite treatment. Allergie Immun I also just recently dug me out of the hole by treating (with new drops) my inability to deal with the new EMF/microwave tower a few blocks from my house and the Smart Meter that was installed in my house without my permission and knowledge.

Neurotoxins OF ANY KIND do not do well with Electromagnetic Frequencies nor with High Frequency Radiation! Dysregulations of the Autonomic Nervous System can be corrected, with some patience. Learn about Allergie Immun.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi - thank you for reminding me of Allergie-Immun. When I did it 2 years ago, I just went though just 3 rounds of drops. Then our worlds were turned upside down....we were out of our home for a year, my records were packed away, and I didn't continue. I still showed dysregulations, so I would like to go back now and complete it. There was no time limit with this wonderful company. I remember them saying they would keep sending drops until everything was resolved. I'm going to dig out my records, find their address and mail in a current saliva sample. In addition, I think I would like to also have the testing done, to cover all of my bases.

Razzle - thanks for the info. I think Yasko's lab would be the best, right? Have you noticed a big improvement since addressing your methylation issues?

momlyme - thanks for those links. Will check them out.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Yasko's Panel is the most comprehensive methylation panel - checks 30 SNP's.

DetoxiGenomic only checks 2 of those 30, but checks others Yasko's panel doesn't check...but they aren't only looking at methylation, the test also looks at other SNP's involved with Phase 1 & 2 Liver detox.

I am not on the full Yasko protocol yet because I haven't found suitable supplements for all the variants I have yet (Yasko's contain many ingredients to which I am very sensitive/allergic).

So that's the long way of saying, no big improvements yet...LOL!

However, I know for a fact I would be a lot worse off if I wasn't on the molybdenum & B12 (for sulfite sensitivity), & yucca (for ammonia detox).

I also believe the test helps me to understand why I have certain issues going on that no other doctor has been able to explain.

And the test results are something I can show doctors and discuss with them, instead of getting frustrated relying on vague and mysterious symptom descriptions & anecdotal experiences (that got me nowhere in the past).

So yes, I think Yasko's lab is the best for Methylation.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to take 100 different supplements to treat the problems found with Yasko's test?

I want to have the testing done, but it seems very confusing.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

There are only a few supplements unique to Yasko's Protocol.

Basic methylation support is stuff I've seen recommended in Lyme books:

Multivitamin/Mineral supplement

Antioxidants - L-Carnitine, Vit. A, Vit. C, Vit. E, Zinc, Selenium, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Pycnogenol, etc.

Fish oil/Omega-3 EFA's

Vit. D & Vit. K

Co-Q10

Lecithin (Phosphatidylserine, Phosphatidylcholine)

SAMe, NADH

Vitamin B12 (lots)

TMG/Betain

Probiotics

Digestive Enzymes

Binders - charcoal, etc.

Herbs for adrenal, immune, kidney, liver, brain & gut support

Molybdenum (if CBS or SUOX variants)

Special supplements Yasko recommends:

5-MTHF (methylfolate) & other active B-vitamin forms (such as P5P, etc.)

Special yeast-derived DNA supplements that are designed to help compensate for specific Methylation SNP's

Special dietary modification if CBS/SUOX variants (low sulfur, low taurine)

That's it in a nutshell...

I've seen most, if not all, of the basic methylation support supplements discussed here.

--------------------
-Razzle

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement