LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do people with lyme get disability?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do people with lyme get disability?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came into some money recently but it was not much and once it is gone I am not really sure how I am going to survive. Trying to save some money but have to pay the rent.

Do people with lyme get disability? I asked my llmd about this and she said it was better to say you have chronic pain or chronic fatigue than to say you have chronic lyme.

Anyone have experience with this?

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i worked for the government, i looked into this. i was told "no way"...

i looked healthy. it was a case of the old "if you look normal, you aren't disabled" type of thing.

luckily, i made it to 30 years and never looked back.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can get approved. The only catch is you cannot list Lyme disease by itself. You have to list lyme along with every last impairment that comes along with it. (Pain, Insomnia, Fatigue, arthtitis, inability to concentrate, memory problems, etc).

My husband listed Lyme, all co-infections and every single impairment that comes along with Lyme. He met the criteria for skin impairments and was approved.

People who do not even bother listing Lyme are making a mistake in the long run.

Say, down the road, there is a Lyme lobby who makes some huge changes happen in regards to the way Social Security processes Lyme Disease claims (it happenes, it happened with Interstitial Cystitis).

http://www.ichelp.org/page.aspx?pid=621

Then, they would have to go back and look over all the claims that were denied with Lyme disease as the impairment. If you never listed Lyme, you'd be out of luck.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi got disability and my diagnosis is lyme
Posts: 574 | From Out there somewhere | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gigmac, can a parent set up a trust for you that can't be factored into any public assistance if you go on disability and do you have all of your work quarters in-- SSI versus SSDI...?
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Otterj, I'm sorry I am confused. I don't know anyhting about this and am just now looking into it.Why would I need a trust and what do you meab when you say "do you have all of your work quarters in-- SSI versus SSDI...?"

All I know is I was advised to try both ssi and ssdi since I am younger (27) so if i do get any help at all it may be ssi. I haven't worked in 4 years.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigimac, I sent you a PM. Feel free to contact me if you want and I will try to talk you through what you need to know.

Connie

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered this too.

My main issues are cognitive. I literally can't think. One person told me that I had to take a IQ test to get disability, another friend told me that her lawyer advised NOT to take these kinds of tests as they can be used against you in the future.

Clear as mud.

In the mean time I'm trying to work, but have no clue what I am doing. I just keep thinking that I will get well and will not need disability.

They can't fire me for being stupid, can they? hahaha

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I filled out a paper where you list your symptoms and why you would need disability. It never asked for a diagnosis. It was about symptoms not the disease.
Posts: 105 | From east | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement