LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MRSA- how contagious, tx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MRSA- how contagious, tx?
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long story short, I'm being treated for MSRA for 5 days now. Two abx--bactrim and clyo something or another. Doc considered this aggressive.

Five days in, nothing much seems different. Boils still very painful, very large, very discolored. Called doc and was told it takes 2 weeks or more to resolve. Is this so??

A friend with similiar MSRA bumps just told me she was taken to ER, boils were lanced, and she was put into complete isolation for days.

My doc is saying- no worries about contamination, live life normally, family is no jeopardy at all, no limits to contact.

Eh???? Anyone else with experience with this?

thanks. Dill

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I've read that it is VERY contagious. VERY. From contact and "secondary" contact - if you touch the sores and then touch other things.

Towels you use should not be used by others (kitchen, hand towels).

If any of the material from the site comes in contact with countertops, tables, magazines, books, remote controls, telephones, etc. that needs to be consider, too.

Laundry needs special consideration, etc.

Do NOT SHARE BAR SOAPS with others.

I can't comment on whether your doctor is correct but it's opposite of many articles I've read from good sources.

I'd sure do more research in this and take elaborate precautions.

You could have gotten it from your friend, too. Were you around her at that the time before or during her MRSA?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As your Rx for this is really short (in my view), you might consider ALLICIN ointment AND capsules.

This could become systemic and affect your heart (I know someone for which that did happen). By taking allicin, long after your Rx would run out, you may be able to get some kind of protection.

I'd talk to your LLMD about this and also find a ND to help you with strong alternatives and the right combination of such for YOUR body.

Google - and also search at PubMed:

Allicin, MRSA
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I seem to have made an assumption.

Re-reading, it's unclear just how long your Rx is prescribed. I thought at first for just 5 days. But, I see now that it may be two weeks? Longer?

You may need to change your dressing more often if it's not improving? Be sure the gauze is sterile.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also consider mangosteen juice, or even better, mangosteen OIL.

Drink the juice and apply the oil.

I would seek a second opinion.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler-

Abx scripts are for 10 days (bactrim, and Clindamaycin 300mg 3x a day). As I've said, doc thought this was aggressive.

Common sense about contagiousness- if its that difficult to contract, how the heck did I get it???! So, am having a difficult time accepting the don't worry about it scenario.

Hubby wants me to go to ER for a second opinion. Am concerned about my doc being ****ed because I did, and the possibility of her cutting off meds I must have.

Tutu- what does mangosteen have to do with this??

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trimom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trimom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend's daughter has this right now. She went to one ER and they gave her oral antibiotics and sent her on the way. Her face continued to get worse to the point her eye is swollen shut. She went to the ER where my friend is a nurse. She is on IV antibiotics every 8 hours via outpatient.

Many of us have MRSA in places it is found normally example our noses. When it gets to where it normally isn't, we have problems.

Posts: 120 | From MA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you already have all the Rx this doctor would prescribe for this, you have nothing to loose.

I agree with your husband (and he's at risk here, too) that a second opinion is required, especially as day 10 when you run out of meds will likely fall over this upcoming holiday weekend. ?

However, the ER may not be covered unless it's truly an emergency. Your GP / PCP usually has to TELL you to go to the ER for it to be covered, too.

What about just seeing another doctor - or URGENT care (if your coverage allows seeing a DR there without your primary's referral)?

Not to cause distress (really) but I would not share your bed with anyone right now. They need their own sheet, pillow, blankets, etc.

Not sure where the rash is but, likely, you can still enjoy some "safe cuddling" - just don't share any fabrics that may have come in contact with your rash -- even from before it popped out.

Extreme care is required so you husband can stay safe and so that you can get better. If after five days, you see no improvement, I'd say that calls for a second - or third - medical consult from fresh eyes and an expert who may have more information about MRSA.

Take care. Hugs galore to you.
-

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stabilized allicin has been scientifically proven to combat bacteria, including over 300 strains of MRSA and VRSA.

Allimax
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=allimax#none

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Thanks. trimom. It is so difficult to understand why individual patients are treated so differently. I just don;t get it.

Keebler- my hubby has been in a different room since the day i was diagnosed with MRSA. He is immune-compromised himself due to Hep C he contracted from blood transfers necessary to survive adult leukemia. We don't mess with his health.

I don't care about what insurance covers or not. If the right thing to do is to go to urgent care or the ER, that's where I'll go. Just not sure 5 days out what is considered "improvement" enough to keep going on this course of treatment.

I'm as sick as I am because of doctors' ignorance. I don't have any automatic faith in what any doc tells me, no matter how good their heart or intent. They are as human and as fallible as are we the sick. The difference is, I can't afford to lose any more health and hope to keep on keeping on.

Sorry. I know I'm not very coherent or focused anymore, but am trying.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement