LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Safe to stop Iv nutrition if I hit 90 lbs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safe to stop Iv nutrition if I hit 90 lbs?
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone..I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions as to whether it would be safe for me to stop TPN when I hit 90 lbs. I haven't vomited up my food in a week, and while I am not eating a huge amount, I think I am eating enough now where I won't precipitously lose again.

I just cannot take this infusing for 12 hrs a day. It is too much and it is annoying and the TPN itself is causing side effects. I am 5 feet 3 inches tall, so 90 lbs isn't that thin.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance. Jess.

Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are the only one who can answer this question. Listen to your body. If you feel the need to get off TPN because of side effects, you can stop and see how things go.

90 lbs is not much for your height though. Ten pounds more would be better. You can always go back on the TPN if you can't maintain your weight.

Glad you are able to eat small amounts of food now and keep it down.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessicabooklover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faithful, thanks. Yes I know 90 lbs isnt much but its not immediately dangerous and I just cannot deal with this TPN for much longer. It is causing weird side effects and it takes up to 12 hrs a day to infuse and I have a new man in my life and its kind of hard to have a boyfriend and be hooked up to this damn thing for hrs at a clip every day/night.

And yes I can take small amounts of food and keep it down now. I think it is because of adopting a vegan diet, to be honest. Having no animal products and lots of complex carbs is helping. Thanks. Jess.

Posts: 870 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does your doctor say?
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

I see him on Monday. He wants me to stay on it for a while, but I just can't take this crap. Jess.
undiagnosed22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for undiagnosed22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

You poor thing! I can't imagine how hard it must be to be hooked to to that for so long every day. I often read your posts nd you have been through so much, I am happy you. Are gaining weight and strength:). That being said, 90 lbs still seems like not a lot for 5'3. I am only 4'11 and have lost weight bc of awful reflux recently (I hate Lyme) and literally EVERYONE is commenting on how I am way too skinny (which I know). If it were me, I would try and gain another 10 pounds before going off, but I know it must be easier said than done. Just an idea but have you tried protein powders? I am a
Allergic to milk so got an egg white protein powder that I have been putting in my shakes and it is helping with the weight gain!

Posts: 200 | From Boston | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, 90lbs is still dangerously low. Please don't stop the TPN yet. Hang in there a little longer. Let it help you get to a safe healthy weight so that you can have a fighting chance.

This is the National Institutes of Health BMI chart. You can see that for your height, you will need to weigh at least 107 lbs to begin to be considered a healthy weight.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

Remember, you have to be able to eat enough calories to replace what the TPN has been giving you every day. You need to be able to maintain your weight and ideally start to gain more muscle mass. You don't want do barely be able to eat again and start losing.

When I've struggled with my weight my doctor has told me that he would hospitalize me to stabilize me if my weight dropped to 100lbs. I am 5ft 3.5in tall.

Being too thin is a huge stress on your body, especially your heart and your brain. Please stay on your nutrition until you are healthier and more stable.

We care about you here and want to see you well.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Thanks everyone..Sammy, I just CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE. I will seriously consider staying on the TPN awhile longer, but even I have my limits.

I have been like a good soldier this whole time, doing everything that I am told to do by drs, and this is the one time where I just can't do it.

I would rather be waif thin and off this damn stuff than be plump and robust and hooked up half my day.

I just hate this so much. Jess.

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess,
Would it be possible to cut back on the hours per day, rather than stop completely?

I do think it would be in your best interest to continue until you have gained more weight so you can have a better chance at keeping what you gained.

My nephew had to be on TPN for quite awhile. First it was most of his waking hours and as he gained he was able to cut back on the hours he needed it.

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Manna-the ONLY way I will stay on this stuff is if I can cut down on the infusing time. I cannot do 12 hours a day. I have a job, I have a boyfriend, I have a life despite being sick and I cannot do this.

Thanks. Jess.

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will be starting abx after, right? If you are not at a good weight you will have a really tough time dealing with the herxing from the abx and may lose what you just gained putting you back to square one.

There is probably a pretty good chance you will drop some weight while taking abx due to some of the side effects, starting out very under weight to begin with you will not be giving yourself a fighting chance.

I would hate to see you go back to where you started. I know it's hard, but challenges such as this alot of times bring couples closer together.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Ellen-its just too much though. If the dr is willing to cut the amount of hours that I am on the TPN then I will consider continuing until I hit 100 pounds. Otherwise, I am done when I hit 90 (I am 87 lbs right now).

I honestly would rather have the lyme kill me than be hooked up to this damn stuff for 12 hrs a day. THAT is how fed up I am. Thank you for the support, I appreciate it so much. I am just so fed up with this situation. And its unfair to my boyfriend and its unfair to me and UGHHH. Jess.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said your boyfriend was fine with it.

6 hours sounds good to me!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Lymetoo-yes he is fine with it, but still....he is a young and healthy man and its not exactly the most attractive thing in the world to have a girlfriend with a picc line in her arm who needs to put liquid nutrients into her system for 12 hrs a day because she is too skinny and sickly to eat like a normal person.

IDK I am just having THE hardest time adjusting to this stuff...it is really making me upset and frustrated. And yes I agree-6 hrs a day would be MUCH better than what I am doing right now. Jess.

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

Is it possible to do the TPN overnight? I know a boy who does it 8pm-8am every day.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

garden, thanks. I do the TPN overnight oftentimes but still, for me, 12 hrs a day is just WAY TOO MUCH. I see my llmd tmrw and I am going to demand that he either reduce my hrs on the TPN or I want off it entirely. Jess.
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more month. What's one more month? Better than staying sick. Just do it Jess. You are doing south better.please continue.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessicabooklover
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39427

Hey kudzu-thanks for the encouragement. I plan to tell my LLMD tmrw that I will do up to 6 hrs a day of the TPN, but that I just cannot do more than that. I need a break a little. Thanks. Jess.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement