LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mucous in child's stool?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mucous in child's stool?
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has had numerous health issues, mostly neurologic.

Tonight he passed a lot of mucous in his stool. This is the first time.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucous is on the symptom list for parasites at Humaworm. Has he ever been on any antiparasitics?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why have you not taken him to a Gastroenterologist ?

IBS is only one possible
Ulceritive Colitis is another that comes to mind.
Cancer not likely but should be screened for even though young.
See a gastroenterologist soon.

A

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with IBS being a strong possibility.. Ive been living with it for years.. It can cause alot of stomach and intestinal distress.. Mucus can be a charcteristic symptom among other things.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gael, I know the parasite issue is still a possibilty.

I'm also looking into yeast again.

Al, we just got a mucousy stool. First time. I am bringing it up to his doctors now.

lulu, I hope it's not that, but it could be. How do you check for that noninvasevly?

Would any of these issues cause neurological problems like hyperactivity, tics, memory issues and behavioral issues?

I took the GSE I gave him along with the Enula over a year ago. It caused me to have a dry mouth, burning lip corners, agitated vaginal and rectal issues, poor sleeping, some twitching, and a UTI with bacteria of unknown identification. My husband did not react at all. My son was changed completely.

He had been on antibiotics the longest and most recent before the GSE and Enula. Could it be yeat/bacterial overgrowth?

Thanks for everyones opinions.

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IBS is usually a diagnosis made to the exclusion of everything else. I had extensive testing including colonoscopies, several scopes and barium xrays.. I would hate to put a child through that.. Maybe a clinical diagnosis would be beneficial.. The best thing I did was to change my diet and avoid milk and wheat products. Some dairy was still ok for me. I still eat homemade yogurt to keep good flora..
I also turned to a vegetarian lifestyle but i understand that is not for everyone.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IgG/IgM/IgA blood allergy testing can be helpful. Most IBS responds favorably to allergy elimination, or fructose avoidance (some IBS is actually caused by fructose intolerance).

Food allergy can also cause behavioral issues and even tics.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast is a big possibility.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

I guess I need a vote. I'm leaning toward yeast and/or parasites.

Possibly a bacterial outbreak as I had in my bladder.

Where do I begin?

I am trying to tap into a doctor locally who tests through Metrametrix, for stool and urine (maybe hair) tests. One for parasites, yeast poor absorption, the other for toxins.

I guess I'll see what comes back. Then make my move.

In the meantime, no sugar. I'd like to start Nystatin, but it's too soon for that.

Anyone have any other thoughts as to my action plan for now?

Thanks,

2roads

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucous in stool could be so many things. I would find out what kind of symptoms he is having that are new.

For example, lots of sinus drainage can cause mucous in stool. So can C diff. So can so many other illnesses. So, I would go by other symptoms to figure out which way to go.

Does he seem to have a cold? sinuses acting up? Any diarrhea in the next few days, etc.

Perhaps this will just go away over the next few days.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al, FYI, in my experience the vast majority of GI docs are beyond ignorant, especially when there is s history/possibility of tick borne illnesses.

2roads, I can't comment on the mucousy stools. Seems like a variety of things could cause that.

But you mention he has hyperactivity, tics, memory issues and behavioral issues. Have you had him evaluated by a LLMD? Has he had a neuropsych eval by a LL psychologist? I think those are the main things to consider, given those symptoms. But that's just my own opinion.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just happened to me today for the first time.

Have been on parastroy for a couple of months and yesterday and today added the Kroeger Wormwood.

But then I also added another time per day of chlorella and activitated charcoal so it's 2x a day for those now.

It's probably the Kroeger herbs though.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

I called the Peds office and they said to keep tabs on it.

One isolated event is supposedly not a big deal.

I have a genovia stool kit coming to me. I plan to use it this time.

Not sure what the results will yield.

My son has an MRI scheduled for the 27th December and a sllep study. We already had a normal EEG.

So desperate......

Thnaks for everyones reply-

Hugs

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you asked for votes [Smile] Mine of course would be parasites. Here's the thing, candida and parasites usually go hand in hand and it's much easier to get rid of the candida when you kill the parasites.

Mucous is def on the symptom list for parasites. If you don't already know, Humaworm makes a childrens dose.

I do understand though why you want to do some testing. I am sure you know the testing for parasites is usually not reliable. Keep us posted. Sending many good thoughts of healing for your son.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had ibs issues for years and have had lots of mucous, etc., cramps, ad infinitum...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19300126

Everyone has mucous in their intestines. In healthy people, it appears to be bacteria-free, or close to it. The issue is whether there is bacteria in it or if it is compromised.

My vote is he has significant yeast, which contributes to his neuro issues. The GSE stirred the pot.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could also try giving him Magnesium so that he has more frequent bowel movements. Mucous can also happen when the stool has been sitting too long in the colon.

Could be parasites and/or yeast too.

My 3 yr old is on Nystatin for yeast. It helps alot.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 2roads:
I guess I need a vote. I'm leaning toward yeast and/or parasites.

-
Treat both.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Here's what I don't get.

The GSE which started this whole problem is supposed to erradicate yeast. We were on high doses for two weeks.

So, should I be treating yeast, or did I already do it? Maybe the imbalance is of bacterial origin.

I'm so confused.

mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is parasites. Google the better health guy. He has a section of it in his site. He lists and I agree mucous in stool=parasites.

My kids GI had one of my kids do extra miralax. She is not Lyme aware but is open to possibility of parasites. She said that we have to make sure the colon is moving and evacuating. To keep on top of it with Miralax for like 2 weeks then tapper off. She also said to double up on VSL.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

What's VSL?

Thanks-

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL is a powerful probiotic.

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

GSE or anything else that kills yeast could cause a "herx" or die-off.... hence the increase in symptoms.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement