LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone improve on Coartem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone improve on Coartem?
FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started Coartem. 3 days over Thanksgiving weekend. Had an initial herx, then improved slightly. Followed with 10 days of artemisinin.

But now babs symptoms are increasing each day again, and I have no babs treatment for another 10 days. My LLMD coartem starts to work the 2nd month you take it. I hope this is true.

What other herbs work for babs? If I added zith (or is there any alternative) to the art and took it all month would that help?

Mepron and Malerone aren't options right now.

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,
You can't do a Macrolide (Zith) with Coartem because it messes with your QT interval. That's one of the reasons it's not used that often, there are a lot of interactions.

Dr. K has a Babesia protocol with Art. I can't remember exactly how it went for dosage, I do remember that it's 2 days a week of high dose with grapefruit juice. NO grapefruit juice with the Coartem!

The grapefruit juice makes the Art more absorbable and prevents resistance.

This might me a good option for you in between Coartem pulses.

There also is also another Babs herb that I haven't taken myself but a lot of other people are using. Crypto(something) lol.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again, I found the Art. protocol.

500 mgs. 3x a day with grapefruit juice.
2 days a week. 3 weeks on 1 off. for 1 year.

I did this for a while it does work. The Art went on backorder when I was doing it so I stopped. I ended up in a relapse.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use Arteminisin 250 mg 4 days on and 3 days off every week. It has really been helping.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just started Coartem. It has stopped my night sweats. How often do you take it?

My LLMD has me taking it three days each week. I am also taking cryptolepis.

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it along with many other things for Babs.

I am 4 months off Babs treatment and still Babs symptom free. Hard to say what really got me better but the Coartem did cause a major herx!

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith,,what brand???? How long before you saw help with it?? Did you do crypto also?

have you tried coartem?/

what does it do??

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pulsed Coartem every 2 to 3 weeks doing about 6 rounds. I took malarone in between. Coartem was very effective. I got rid of the babesia duncani with it.

Now I am treating protomyxzoa which can't be cured - just controlled. I am doing very well. Someone wrote me about one of the newest treatment protocols called Artemesinin Essentials. It is EDTA ( a metal chelator), phospholipids, and artemesinin.

The phospholipid is a fat that acts like a "trojan horse" to take the meds and EDTA into the biofilm that is protecting the pathogens. The EDTA binds with magnesium which is a major component of biofilm helping to break it down. Then the artemesinin can kill PR. I assume this treatment would help with babesia too. The EDTA and Phospholipid is supposed to make the art 1000 (yes 1000) times more effective.

I just got another round of coartem to take with LipoPhos, which is a much stronger blend of phosphytidylcholine and EDTA. One of the drugs in Coartem is Artemether, the strongest derivative of artemesia, so what I am taking is a super dooper version of the Art Essentials. Lipophos has 24 times the phospholipids in the strongest most effective form of phosphytidycholine.

The EDTA is also binds with mercury and lead. It does not have sulfur like DMSA so it won't bother sulfur sensitive people and it will not leach mercury out of the teeth.

I have taken this two days with no side effects. I didn't have many symptoms but was getting headaches and they are gone.

I think you might try taking Aretmesinin Essentials in between the coartem. Or you could take the LipoPhos with Artemix, which is a blend of artemesinin, artesunate and artemether. You do need to remember to take a break for several days doing any kind of artemesia. 4 days on and 3 days off.

The LipoPhos would also be a good alternative for the fat requirement for other malarial drugs. It transfers well into the tissues and cells but it won't stimulate the growth of protomyxzoa like fat does.

Another alternative to mepron and malarone is chloroquine and primaquine. You need to be careful of chloroquine because the half life is a month! There is something you need to be checked for before using either of these - can't remember what but you can look it up. It is a genetic defect in people of mediterranian decent.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Researched Nutritionals Arteminisin. It is 250 mg per capsule. Other brands are less mg per capsule so I would have to take more of the other brands.

LLMD recommended this brand and so far it is helping us both.

I used bio identical cortisol and cortef but didn't get any results from them. The cortef made me feel sick and I just stopped it.

I got my adrenals back to normal taking supplements that were adaptogens for adrenals like pregnenolone. It took some time but as my infection load continued to drop the adrenals had a chance to get better.

They are normal now. Now I just have to get the thyroid where it needs to be. Working on that with Nature Throid and T3 replacement.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do coartem 1X/month (3days) then pulse art for 10 days. So then I have no babs treatment for 2 weeks (before starting the cycle over again)

Would be more effective if I pulsed art each week 3 days on, 4 days off. Or am I just jumping the gun and need to try this another cycle?

I take Art from Allergy Research from my LLMD. I've read liposomal art is even better.... I think that would coincide with what nefferdun's saying???

I already did Mepron for 8 months so some of my babs symptoms are far less than they were but I'm still getting that slow building of pain again. Uugh!

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sida acuta is advised by Buhner protocol- from Woodland Essence

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement