LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What was your experience with Rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What was your experience with Rifampin
prayerworks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prayerworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking rifampin for two weeks now 150 mg twice a day and in the second week I started to get burning in my ears that lasted for three days. That subsided now I feel itchy in my face on and off, light headed, and my pressure is elevated. I never have problems with high blood pressure - never. I am wondering if I am having a negative reaction to rifampin or is this herxing? I am also taking Azithromycin.

Interested in hearing your experience with rifampin.

Posts: 138 | From US Virgin Islands | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would let your doctor know about this. Itching right after a medication change can be a reaction to the drug.

Might also be the two different drugs are interacting for some reason with the bp. Come to think of it, once I got on Rifampin, I had to get off of zith.

I had dizzy spells but it dropped my blood pressure.

Please call your doctor, better safe to find out for sure.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Rifampin, it increased my anxiety and I had a lot of new sleep issues. It also raised my estrogen really high initially. Seems like a lot of people have trouble with it.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having extreme symptoms- terrible joint cracking/pain, SI joint pain is really bad, muscle twitches, lots of tingling, extreme fatigue in the late afternoon and early evening. I feel just horrible. My symptoms were going this way before I started rifampin/azithromycin, so, I'm not sure if it's just the disease progression, or herxing. I have been on this combo for 2+months.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that I read somewhere that this drug can cause thyroid issues while on it. Does anyone else recall hearing this? That could explain my afternoon fatigue.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amk33 I also experienced horrible SI joint pain and muscle twitching and aches while on rifampin. I too had these symptoms prior to starting it, but they became so severe along with awful mood swings that I had to stop it.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hard to take but did a lot of good. i had to start real low dose and have a friend watch me cuz i had severe psyc sx...but within 2 weeks i was on full dose and many sx went away-esp foot pain

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took it for 5 days... had a headache from H*** for the next 21 days. (so 26 days total)

Never again.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost ended up in the ER after being on 600 mgs for almost 2 weeks. I think my BP was 190/150 or something completely crazy.

It was insane. I tried it again about a year later and ramped up very slowly. It was a different experience. Much better.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Ellen101, that makes me feel a little better, that maybe it's a herx. I didn't take my morning dose today and I felt much better during the day. I'm going to have to reconsider this med. Thanks.
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it for a while. When I first started it, I got a swollen throat which made me nervous but it was due to oral thrush. I restarted after checking with a doctor and it didn't recur.

I had a lot of anxiety on it at first but I have herxed much worse on other meds. It wasn't horrific (for herxing) in my situation.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a terrible time with it initially-big increase in headaches, other pain and anxiety. It does also interfere with metabolization of many other meds (thyroid, sleep, etc).

However, I have been on it twice and it has given me the most improvements of any medication.

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah-ramping up works. many llmds encourage ramping up cuz bad herx does more damage than it is worth. and it is a good drug. gets resoults for many

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on it for a year with no problems. My youngest son started it 6 months ago. No problems only improvement. I don't believe I ramped up and I don't remember any herxing.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prayerworks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prayerworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your responses. I think I am still adjusting to it. The itchy thing goes and comes randomly and the blood pressure seems to be back to normal. I am experiencing a resurgence of primary symptoms. I hope this is a good thing and that the meds are doing what it is suppose to do.
Posts: 138 | From US Virgin Islands | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely check with your doctor to make sure you're not having an allergic reaction.

Rifampin has been helpful for me. I have been on it twice. Both times, my head has felt clearer while on it. It's hard to explain but it feels like my thinking is clearer, I don't have as much brain fog, and I feel more connected emotionally.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first week I took it at bedtime because it put me to sleep. It did take away a "kennel cough" I had been having since my cold/virus a few months previously. It went away in two days. It might have helped my activated mycoplasma pneu.

I've been on it for a few weeks now, and it doesn't seem to affect me anymore.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement