LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Relief by Lowering Serotonin Levels?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Relief by Lowering Serotonin Levels?
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

I've been doing some research into Zofran, which I'm taking for vomiting, and learned that it lessens the body's ability to use serotonin (5-HT3 antagonist; to a lesser extent, 5-HT4 antagonist -- suddenly, I find myself sounding like Marnie [Razz] [Smile] ).

I've known there is a food connection for me, but it's been very difficult to ascertain connections between kinds of foods; when I look up foods that increase serotonin, here, I find foods at the top of my list; foods that decrease serotonin, the foods that I find more likely to tolerate. (I'm now on the hunt for a list, to try out my hypothesis; if you have a great list, please share it [Smile] )

So, how to lower serotonin levels, naturally and with meds; hormones? Who has gone this route, and what have you discovered?

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually you probably need more serotonin but it is being diverted into an alternate pathway which produces quinolinic acid -- a potent neurotoxin.

That was probably one of the biggest breakthroughs hubby got from Buhner's book.

Japanese knotweed blocks that alternate pathway. By taking the herb hubby could tolerate p5p and tryptophan for sleep. He eventually dropped the l-tryptophan and just took the p5p (activated B6) and herbs such as passionflower which mainly works on GABA.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow -- OK, Bea...if so, how does one explain that the Zofran mediates the vomiting?

The other thing, of course, is the foods that drive me bananas (sorry!) are the ones highest on the seratonin list...

Did Steve suffer from vomiting as well? If so, did anything control it?

I can easily go back on Knotweed...

XOXOXOXOXOXO

--------------------

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canbravelyme, you might find the links down bellow to be helpful.

The Sadder Side of Serotonin

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/09/the-sadder-side-of-serotonin

Reducing Serotonin Levels

http://180degreehealth.com/2012/10/reducing-serotonin-levels

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Wow, Emla; thank you!!!!!!!

I wonder how many of us suffer from too much serotonin production -- there sure are a lot of us with low body temperature (myself included): "

"Serotonin is highly involved in hibernation, lowering body temperature and more."

--------------------

canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Emla, any thoughts on the suggestion of "supplementing with branch chain amino acids, an increasingly trendy practice. The branch chain amino acids, leucine, isoleucine, and valine are commonly used to prevent muscle breakdown and trigger anabolism � effects that may have something to do with their role as a serotonin antagonist."?

Best,

--------------------

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canbravelyme, in the past, when I have taken amino acids, I have usually just taken one or two types of amino acids or a bunch of amino acids in combination that often contained tryptophan or methionine or cysteine. And reportedly those amino acids can INCREASE the body's production of serotonin. So, I was probably actually hurting myself.... though back then I thought that having increased levels of serotonin was a good thing.

Anyway, I have not tried taking the amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine in combination as a way to directly lower my serotonin production. But I suppose that it would be worth a try. And if I were to try that method, I would probably try not to eat a large amount of lean meat or take supplements that contain tryptophan, methionine or cysteine. Tryptophan is concentrated in muscle meats, but is not found in the bones, collagen or gealtin (hydrolysed collagen).

Also, supposedly, taking a pure gelatin product such as Knox gelatin can possibly help to lower serotonin levels due to gelatin containing relatively high levels of the "anti-serotonin" amino acid leucine, isoleucine, and valine.

You may also want to increase your salt consumption because salt restriction apparently can increase serotonin production.

Salt and serotonin

http://tinyurl.com/d3u8ek5

So, eating more salt may also help to increase your metabolism and body temperaure. But if you drink alot of fluids then you may offset that affect of salt.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Supposedly, eating a raw carrot salad that consists of a grated carrot, some coconut oil and a little vinegar everyday can help to lower serotonin levels.

http://tinyurl.com/aruntpr

Taking activated charcoal may also possibly reduce serotonin and endotoxin levels.

http://tinyurl.com/a32ne2l

Also, some people have suggested taking certain antibiotics as an indirect way of lowering serotonin levels because anitibiotics can kill bacteria in the intestines and serotonin can be produced in the intestines by bacteria. But I don't know whether that actually works or not. Though, it sounds plausabile.

http://tinyurl.com/apnunn5

Serotonin and Endotoxins and why they can sometimes be harmful to your health

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwesthealing/2011/08/25/ray-peat-serotonin-and-endotoxin

***Starting at around the 8:38 minute mark

Serotonin Removal

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I am a bit confused.

I thought people needed more serotonin, generally speaking. I thought serotonin was a good thing, generally speaking.

Why and in what situations would people need to get their serotonin levels lower??

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW ! I can't believe I ran across this post....

I've been trying to figure out why it seemed as though thing's with Serotonin or makers of it seemed to put me into a different state of non-health.

Now what>>?????

If I added 1 thing , 5 Htp, It seemed like I was getting symptoms of serotonin syndrome..

Although not sure what that's supposed to feel like.

Well at least one of my "off the wall thought's " has company

Take care all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's been more than rough lately...

Where oh where is that break through????

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is confusing to me too, 'cause I thought it's a good thing to boost serotonin, as the supposedly feel-good neurotransmitter.

So is it that it's being diverted into another pathway for many?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. My serotonin (and dopamine) levels were extremely high when I was tested 6 months ago. I was not on any anti-depressent, but taking lithium orotate. LLNP wanted me to stop taking this, thinking that was triggering.

I am going to try the carrot salad. Sounds like a good thing! Thank you for this information!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Excessive serotonin production may not always be a good thing.

http://autoimmunehealing.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html

*** By the way, antibiotics may possibly lower the production of serotonin.

http://autoimmunehealing.blogspot.com/2011/11/relationship-between-infection-viral.html

Josh Rubin briefly discussing why the excess production serotonin can be harmful to your health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ywiWvAcFM8Y#t=66s

ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually ondansetron works pretty good for me, even though I don't have nausea. Makes me friendlier and bumps my libido up a little bit.

I haven't tried BCAAs recently, but I noticed that I got a nice bump from it for a few hours, probably due to the serotonin blocking effect. Gelatin may have a similar effect since it is relatively high in BCAAs. Gelatin is also great for skin and gut health.

LDN/cyproheptadine may also be worth trying. I've got some decent mood benefits from LDN.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement