LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do you know when to stop treating Bart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know when to stop treating Bart?
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no longer treating Bart, and a little nervous about it. I had a really big relapse in the spring and had been back at since. I've done Mino, Zithro, Plaquenil, and Septra for it all at once.

I did it for almost nine months. I also did a couple of months of Rifampin in there too. Do you think that was enough? I am having heart palps the last few days and also headaches which I haven't had in a while.

I have gone back to treating Lyme because that has relapsed, just came off from high dose Mepron, and just finished a
round of Coartem, so I'm pretty sure it's not Babs.

I feel like I'm done with the Lyme herx too.
Maybe it's just nothing? Based on my history of relapsing, I'm just kinda nervous.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's the million dollar question for me, too.

I feel like I've had deeply entrenched Bartonella for years.
I treated it last year (probably not long enough, I guess.)

Then worked on Lyme, cysts, parasites for months, only to feel Bartonella become center front (more anxiety, irritable, etc.)

Went to minocycline and HH2 caps 3x a day. It checked my Bart down. 2 months on this.

However, went off minocycline and HH2, within days I felt full Bartonella.

So, I am on Levaquin now. I was on it when I very first started treatment.
But I want Bartonella gone. Hope this last round can knock it out.

(Yes I've done A-Bart and other herbs for Bart.)

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess what I am asking is has any one got rid of it on a protocol that isn't Levaquin. And if you did what did you use and for how long?
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry RC1, didn't mean to get you down, guess I had a personal rant.

I will say, being on Levaquin again after all this time, it is so much easier- which tells me my Bart load is down,
and all I've done did help-

Reversatrol
HH2 capsules
HH herb from Nutrimedix
A-Bart
Beyond Balance Bart tincture

I've done short rounds of Rifampin and Cipro, too.

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Surprise, you didn't let me down [Smile] thanks for replying. I went on Levaquin myself, but my Achilles started to ache and my LLMD told me to stop it. I was bummed.

How long did you do Cipro for?

I did A-Bart too, I didn't really have any response with it, even when my load was really quite high. I wish it it had done something because I would use that, and be okay with it.

surprise
Member # 34987

I was not on Cipro/Rifampin long, which could be a reason why I didn't get it gone for good.

It's a long story as to why, (my 1st LLMD)
but I was on the Cipro/rifampin combo for 2 weeks, next time 4 weeks, last year.
Levaquin 5 weeks.

It's very different on it now after 15 months of continual treatment, neuro wise, makes me feel all the work in between was not for nothing.

--------------------
doing okay!

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

That's good that you aren't getting slammed this time around.
How are you doing these days? Do you feel like you are close to being done?

surprise
Member # 34987

I would really like to think I'm close to being done-
My mind has been gearing toward going off antibiotics

and herbs maybe end of January. I feel like I've done a lot of stuff
(like so many here, I am sure)

I need to re-assess, see what happens, see what I can live with-

The recent Bart symptoms that hit hard after I stopped minocycline and HH2 caught me off guard. The inner anxiety I lived with for so long came back.

So, I have 40 days of Levaquin here, and I'm doing full dose Banderol and Samento 2x a day,
some more parasite tx next week for full moon,
we'll see where that leaves me.

--------------------
doing okay!

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

That sounds like a really good plan. Good luck to you. I wish you the best [Smile]
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to begin bart treatment, and really scared. I took ONE bactrim and got a headache that was like I haven't had in years. So bad I had to go to bed, and was in misery.
I never knew what caused the h/a's I used to have for months on end. No docs could ever figure it out and said they were migraines or cluster h/a's.

Even after lyme tx they came. I had to go to ER several times with them. I got some bactrim and have doxy and biaxin. My doc said to start with doxy and bactrim. I have taken some of the doxy, but the bactrim I'm afraid of since the one dose really knocked me for a loop.

I have several things coming up plus Christmas and I just put off taking it until after the holidays and I can get used to the doxy. I am really thinking that this is bart, but I have no proof, as in a blood test or anything.

This is such a guessing game. It's hard not knowing things for sure, and then not knowing which treatments are effective, or how long you should be on them either.

I wish you both the best, and I think the herx on this one is going to be really rough, that's why I just put it off for a few weeks. I think this is a BIG reason why my lyme treatments always work for a while, then fail. This bart, and even possibly babs have gone untreated and are keeping me ill.

Of course I'm not positive on any of this, but it seems right to me. It's at least worth a try.

Have a blessed and wonderful holiday!

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Twicebitten,
It certainly sounds like you are on the right track. Bart and Babs will certainly keep you sick.
Bart treatment can be very tough at first, it's best to take it slow IMO. If you herxed off Bactrim I would say that it is Bart.
I had a positive Bart test but my LLMD said it is very rare to have a positive.
Take care!
Happy holidays to you too!

twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks RC1, I do think bart is a large part of the problem. I hope to get the bactrim in soon. I just can't tolerate it AND get out of bed for Christmas too! Soon..
I hope it is just bart, and I don't have to do babs treatment too. I took mepron for a week, over 10 years ago and my stomach was so sick I quit. I was still working and just couldn't do it.
I hope and pray that's not part of this situation, but I guess I will find out after the bart is treated..ugh.
Take care and have a wonderful holiday season!

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement