LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My right eyelid is itchy, flaky, swollen.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My right eyelid is itchy, flaky, swollen.
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been going on for almost 2 months. Coincidently, it started when I started taking LDN. I first noticed a lot of sand in my eyes in the morning, then that went away.

This eyelid thing has been getting worse. 3 times this week I put on a tiny amount of organic coconut oil and it's caused it to swell more (especially in the morning), so it must be doing something.

It's not shingles, thank God. But both of my docs don't know what it is or how to get rid of. I'm typically in favor of letting things run their course, but this is getting annoying.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has an eye Dr checked it out?

I use Ocusoft Plus pads on my eyelids. They are very soothing...might help.

http://www.ocusoftlidscrub.com/

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got that from Ivermectin. Are you taking that?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lax mom - No, I haven't been to eye doctor yet. Thanks for Ocusoft suggestion. (That eye condition in the ad doesn't sound good.)

CD57 - I haven't taken Ivermectin for over 4 months. Maybe that and/or parasite treatment triggered it??

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have u cked your thyroid lately?
Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to see an eye doctor. I had this last winter and I can't remember the diagnosis. But I had to have antibiotic eyedrops.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Littlesprout - Just had blood drawn earlier this week. Awaiting results. We were checking thyroid for other reasons....I didn't realize this eyelid thing could also be an indication of something with the thyroid.

Lymetoo - Was it just your lid? Or inside your eye as well? Mine is just on the lid.

Thanks.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be an allergy... Ordinarily I'd recommend a topical antihistamine but the location makes that difficult. How 'bout rubbing antihistamine eye drops on the rash?

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get similar symptoms from time to time, Tammy, though it depends how swollen your eyelid is. My symptoms are bilateral rather than just one eye.

In my case, I have always felt that I get these symptoms when yeast/candida levels are high or are being killed off....could this be the case with you?

Coconut oil is probably rather heavy for the eye area.

Do you sleep mainly on that side? if so, you could be reacting to either your pillow/ pillow case or to the product you have used to wash your bedding .

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this. For me it was yeast.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like blepharitis--inflammed eyelids.

I just got this a few months ago when I became temporarily hyperthyroid. The eye doctor believes that the fluctuation in my thyroid hormones caused it. For most people who have it, it is chronic.

So, it is caused when the tiny oil glands at the base of the eyelashes get clogged up. Then, infection can set in.

I was given the following instructions:

twice per day, put warm compresses on the eyelids for 10-20 minutes. I use uncooked rice in a cotton sock. Microwave that for 45 seconds. It will stay warm for at least 20 minutes. Put the warm sock on the eye and hold it there.

This loosens the oil and debris on the eyelid.

Then, with a Q-tip, use Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo mixed with warm water (a 1 to 1 solution) and scrub the eyelid margins with the shampoo mixture. This is to remove all of the flakes, oil, debris.

Gentle eyelid massages on the spot are also very helpful. As I have done these, I have felt sticky discharge from the very swollen spot.

Finally, the eye doc gave me an antibiotic eye ointment that I put at the base of the eye lashes twice per day.

All of this has really helped my eyes. The pain and tearing had become unbearable.

On the Internet it says to quit using eye makeup while you have this condition. Also, I have taken to wearing sunglasses when I go out as the sun bothers them a little.

The more you use the warm compresses and do eyelid massages, the faster you can get the oil glands back to normal.

Here is a website that talks about this self care:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blepharitis/DS00633/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

So, try this and if it works, you have your diagnosis. I would stop using coconut oil or anything else.

Read up on blepharitis and you will know if this fits what is happening to you or not. Hope it works for you. You have to be patient. Eye doctor told me to give this treatment a month.

It started helping right away, but then my eyes flared up again so I am back to where I started. Feels like dust in the eyes, and the outer edge of the lower eyelids is quite painful and some swelling.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Thanks guys for sharing thoughts.

I'm going to take some extra anti-yeast stuff in case that is playing a role.

TF - I'm going to try the warm compresses. (I hope this doesn't haunt me as a chronic condition.)

For an antibiotic oitment - do you think Neosporin would be ok?

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eye doctor gave me erythromycin ophthal. ointment. It seems to be in a vaseline type base.

The hot compresses, eyelid massages, and scrubbing my be sufficient in your case.

If you try Neosporin, be sure it is for the eye--Neosporin ophthalmic, in other words.

This website says that Neosporin Ophthalmic is used for blepharitis.

"Indications and Usage for Neosporin Ophthalmic Solution

Neosporin Ophthalmic Solution is indicated for the topical treatment of superficial infections of the external eye and its adnexa caused by susceptible bacteria. Such infections encompass conjunctivitis, keratitis and keratoconjunctivitis, blepharitis and blepharoconjunctivitis."

http://www.drugs.com/pro/neosporin-ophthalmic-solution.html

According to the web, blepharitis is the most common eye condition there is. Wish you the best. Post and tell me how it goes.

I am also hoping that mine will not be chronic.

The eye doctor said, "Even after thyroid disease is gone, thyroid eye disease can continue." So, that is a concern. She told me to call her in a month if I am not improved.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy,

parasites in a hyperinfection are also found in the eyes, ears, nose and mouth. The grit coming out of the eyes are from infection.

Since the eyelid swelling started with LDN, have you stopped taking it?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

TF - thanks for all this info. Really appreciate it.

Gael - Interesting. No I haven't stopped the LDN. In fact, I'm just about to increase from 3mg to 4.5. I'm wondering if it's related to the med or not.... and if it is, maybe my body is now fighting off an infection that may have been lingering there for a while??

I've been feeling such improvement in so many other areas. I wish this would just go away!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TF:
It sounds like blepharitis--inflammed eyelids.

-
That MAY have been what happened to me, but I had an infection too. I have Sjogren's and this happened last winter. My Dr said he has patients who show up every single winter with this problem.

The eye was very swollen.

OHHHHHH>..... For me, it could be triggered by any drugs that are drying. I'll bet LDN is drying.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Interesting Lymetoo -- I wonder if LDN is drying. I already have "dry" issues...dry mouth, dry skin, dehydration, excessive thirst, etc. These things have always been a battle for me.

I wonder if it's good to stick with the LDN, with the goal in mind that it will modulate my immune system. I'll have to discuss further with my docs.

Thanks.

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was waiting for glm and the parasite thing. I believe I've read here before about these eye sx and them darn parasites.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement