LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Juicing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Juicing
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I want to try juicing. I've been thinking about it for a while and then I saw the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and now I'm totally inspired to do it.

Have anyone tried this and did it help with Lyme & Co. symptoms?

Also, any tips for getting started? I need to figure out which juicer to buy, get some recipes and figure out a plan. I don't think a total juice fast would be a good idea for me right now so I'm thinking that this would be a supplement to my regular diet.

thanks!

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest you start with an economical model, to see if you like juicing before you go "whole hog." One can pay $500 or more for a juicer, which IMHO is a huge waste.

Some will try to tell you that you need a model that leaves some of the fiber in the juice. This is a matter of opinion only.

Have you ever gone to a juice bar and tasted what they have to offer? This may be a good way to "try before you buy."

Try organic carrot, with some celery and a little apple for starts! You should notice a change in how you feel right away - as vital nutrients surge into your bloodstream.

Some folks swear that fresh cabbage juice is a sure-fire cure for ulcers. Believe it or not, it is actually sweet and delicious.

Start with carrot as our base, then try adding fresh beets, parsley or any fruit or green that suits your fancy.

Have fun!

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As AuntyLynn suggests: the most important rule, IMO, is to balance the sweet veggies with those that are not. Fruits used with veggies are best to be like a green apple or another tart variety.

Put a tiny bit of Ginger in for a treat.

Also, take in some of the pulp during the day (can be saved and put into a soup at the last moment). This fiber is important.

Consume protein and fat along with the juice to allow for the best glycemic effect on your body. Otherwise, the simple, consensed veggie carbs can raise blood sugar and then cause a sharp drop later.

Combining protein and fat with the carbs lengthens the time it takes the body to digest it all so the blood sugar is not hit hard and fast.

HEMP Protein powder (which also has a good fat content) is the cleanest that I've found (most other powders contain all kinds of additives). You can add it to the juice or take on it's own beforehand.

WHEY is good but CANNOT be added to anything but water, really.

Hemp oil, any nut oil, etc. is good. Or take your fish oil with the juice.

Some juicer models will also make NUT MILK. I'd get one of those for double duty. Then you can make 1/2 nut milk and 1/2 veggie juice if you like for a creamcicle of sorts.

You could also just eat a handful of nuts along with the juice.

Be sure the veggies are organic, transition or certified to be free of pesticides, etc.

Wash first in a natural based soap (coconut, citrus extracts) such as from 7th Generation, or BioKleen. it need not be a "produce" wash if from them. Their hand dishwashing products are really the same thing, just condensed. Call them directly for detail.

But do not wash food with convential dish soaps. the kind you see advertised.

ONE drop of IODINE in your rinse water bath can help, too, to deter any parasites along for the ride.

Store leftovers in a GLASS JAR in the fridge, not plastic.

Best to enjoy 6 oz. several times a day than larger amounts all at once. Go for a juice glass.

Rinse mouth with clear water afterward and do not brush for at least 30 minutes (after any foods).

Avoid any juice with ginger in it too late in the day. It can keep you awake.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A "Who's on First" - Why Whey wins in water.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031082;p=0

Why WHEY is best alone, in water, not blended
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ditto to AuntyLynn: CABBAGE JUICE is delicious.

But all juicers can't handle cabbage. Be sure to get one that can for cabbage juice is the best and, yes, it's actually sweet. Besides, anything else can also be added to it.

Read on line reviews - and see what's on YouTube - for models you consider but try to buy from a local vendor to support your town but also to help you in case you need a return.

You may also be able to see demonstrations of various models in the store.
-

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all great tips. Thanks so much. Who would have known cabbage juice would be good? : )
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the Breville Juicer for $99 on Amazon. It's the one used in the movie. I love it!

We juice 1 x per day, usually about 20oz..

We start with carrots, kale and spinach and then add some fruit. Strawberries, apples, mango, pineapple, kiwi, basically whatever we have.

Enjoy! It's really helped my daughters GI issues!

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad this thread was started because I started doing this just about every day for the last two weeks.

I think my skin is losing wrinkles in my face, but so far haven't noticed a difference in my health.

It's been bothering me that the pulp gets thrown away since I know I need the fiber. So I've started eating several spoonfuls before I allow myself to drink the juice--it is delicious.

Almost immediately, when I swallow the pulp my throat aches and feels like it's going to close up.

I use spinach, parsley, cilantro, tomato, carrots, celery, apple and lemon juice. (not the same every time.)

I've never had a sensitivity to those otherwise.

Maybe I'll try putting in a glass with water and drink it instead.

It is a high point of my day. Drinking the juice is a special treat.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very happy with my Ninja blender. By the way, I often blend some left over whey in with my smoothies that I get from my homemade kefir. I don't ever recall any kind of a problem or negative reaction from this. Wonder what that means??
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The concept behind removing the pulp is so the body requires little digestion for the juice. Marz, based on that, I would probably eat the pulp after the juice .... or get fiber from veggies you eat. Just a suggestion. [Smile]

I've juiced off and on for about 15 years. I love how I feel when I juice daily and only stop when I get too busy or lazy to. I had a Juiceman for years, and replaced it with a Breville, now have a Norwalk.

With the Norwalk, the pulp is pretty useless, it's like sawdust. I feel like I've gotten every drop from it. With the Breville, I used to give the pulp to my pet birds and they loved it.

I agree that buying/borrowing a cheap juicer to see if you really like it is the way to go. You might ask your friends if any of them have a juicer they don't use sitting around in their cupboards .... I actually think more people give up than stick with it.

We also have a Vitamix .... it's really a blender, IMO, not a juicer, but it's a great blender, better than any we've ever had and worth the price.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement