LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Concussion while having lyme questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Concussion while having lyme questions
DDEC2
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DDEC2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all; before i get into the negative let me first touch on some positive.

I haven't been on the forum in quite some time, so let me reintroduce myself. My symptoms began about 5 years ago, was a very active young man i competed in amateur boxing and martial arts and declined to struggling to stand for 10minutes seemingly overnight.Was Misdiagnoses multiple times, was told i had everything from MS to anxiety.

Found a llmd and was finally diagnosed. 2 years into treatment i am doing ALOT better. Ive returned to work (part time) and am even began training younger fighters for their upcoming bouts.

I am not going to fib and say i am 100% but compared to where i was i am leaps and bounds. So to all those reading who are in the beginning of they're journey, hold on and never lose hope. Better days lay ahead.

Now for the negative; about 2 months ago i was going over a head movement drill with an up and coming fighter and in the process the young mans head collided with mine right in my left temple. I saw stars and the area swelled up rather quickly.

Within the following days i began to feel funny, due to my amateur fighting experience i already knew what this feeling was. So i went to the doctor and he confirmed that i had suffered a mild concussion.

That was 2 months ago and i am still dealing with issues from said concussion. Now i know that having neuro lyme is defiantly prolonging my recovery time but i was wondering if anyone else has suffered mild head injuries while dealing with this illness and how they went about recovering from post concussion syndrome.

I am currently on a break from my abx and was wondering if some type of supplementation would benefit me as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*sorry for long post*

--------------------
Igenex results 4-6-2011:
IGM 23-25:IND,31++,41++,58+,66+,83-93+

IGG 30+,39+,41+++

Posts: 80 | From Chicago IL | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch, is an understatement.

I have not had experience with a head injury and lyme. But I did want to tell you that head injuries take time to heal. My sister had one as a young adult. She was a year before she was OK. That was not to discourage you but to let you know it truly takes time.

Are you seeing a neurologist at all? If you are not satisfied with your progress you may want to consult with one. Although be forewarned that most do not believe in Lyme. If this was me, I would just mention the head injury and get his/her opinion on that alone.

Your Lyme doc may be able to give you some info on supplements that may help.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robbiem
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Systemic Enzymes -- I would say Vitalzym is your best bet -- if you go to their website, they give dosage recommendations for injuries/post surgery.

I've had great results using it in the past -- it took care of the lower back pain I suffered with for years after getting sick.

Posts: 192 | From New England | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try a Cranial Osteopath, especially after any trauma to the body. You may have something misaligned.
Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trimom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trimom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bad bike crash in a race, went head first into metal street sign sort of super man style, and I had a concussion...lost memory for about hour.

Now 5 years later finally being diagnosed with Lyme and other TBD, having a spec scan, only the side of my head that hit the metal post is effected with blood flow issues. I get headaches but only on half my head again the side effected by concussion .

Prior to being treated with ABX, I didn't have headaches.

Posts: 120 | From MA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had lyme since early 80s

in 94 i had closed head injury from car accidint-was out of work 1 1/2 yr-severe vestibular atuff and speech

continues working as PE teacher til 2005 (i never got back to where i was b4 lyme and/or car accident

2005 was knocked out cold by student and have been disabled since

my disability is not based on breain injury

but since introducing brain injury to lyme it has been very hard for all docs, neuros, neruo-psychiarists, llmd etc to figure out what is lyme and what is brain injury

i had many types of therapy early on but now just try to live the way i am. i am very disorganized and have bad memory. i try to learn how to compensate and wish i could find a helper who understands my needs which are kinda wierd...but so far i havent. the only ones i can find trained in brain injury therapy are 200. and hour and not covered by insurane

so i do the best i can. if you search some of my posts you will see altho i have a graduate degree i dont communicate like i do

arthritis in many places is my main disability but memory, disorganization and communication problems are disabling also

there are orgaizations for brain injured but in my experience they cater to severe. if you find the right one it can be really helpful. one thing that helped me was to know that...

"an highly intelligent person with a mild brain injury, has more trouble dealing with the impairments than a less intelligent person with a severe brain injury"

one example given was a wall steet exec who ws unable to organize her closet after a head injury-even tho she looked perfectly fine

so lyme and brain injury are a difficult combo

hard to dx and tx

i would encourage you to tx lyme aggressively and if the head injurt is new try all therapies they suggest...a lyme literate neruo-psychiatrist is your best bet to sort out what sx is from what problem...there is one in nyc-but even she had trouble with me

the longer you wait to tx brain injury the harder it is to get better...so do what you can now...good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDEC2
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DDEC2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all, i am hesitant to consult a neurologist because of the fore mentioned, i will hang on a bit longer but i think im just going to have to suck it up and see one.

--------------------
Igenex results 4-6-2011:
IGM 23-25:IND,31++,41++,58+,66+,83-93+

IGG 30+,39+,41+++

Posts: 80 | From Chicago IL | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never had good luck with a neurologist-altho one was respectful and caring and really tried to help me. so nice when they dont talk down to you.

but my llmd referred me to neuro-psyc and so did a primary...they hoped comparing the result s of the neuro-psyc exam would be helpful.

good luck

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is vital that medical help be sought ASAP. Every day, there is new detail about how damage from concussions continue even long AFTER the hit.

It's extremely important to never have another one, too.

I'm not sure who the best doctor to see would be but start with a search of media just in the last few months about

concussions. One of the major network news magazines did a good report on this.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
NOT a LLMD, but a leader neurologist. Not to treat lyme (though they have a far better understanding of it than most). He's also written about sports brain injuries.

I would call them TODAY about suggestions for who they may recommend in your area and

ask them for literature that can help you with self-help steps to go along with seeing a proper doctor in this field, too.

I've followed his work for years with the "Better Brain Book" etc.

http://www.perlhealth.com/

Perlmutter Health Center

-----------

www.google.com/search?q=David%2BPerlmutter%2C+concussion&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Google: David+Perlmutter, concussion
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thx keeb-i just ordered 2 of his books...one for 50 cents!

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Great, lpkayak. I should check that out. I have only one but no budget for more.

Bottom line is, though, that it's just too much to figure it all out alone for anyone. I wish all doctors would learn more and wish insurance would cover more of what really helps.

Still doctors who write books such as his are a huge help.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
DDEC2,

You are so correct about most doctors recognizing only dramatic brain injury.

With hundreds of falls and seizures over the years, it was a physical therapist who introduced to me her thoughts about my having "mild brain injury" but that the name could be misleading.

With the news about football injuries and their after-effects, I am reminded of this. My head has sure had many hits over the years but my case fell off the medical radar years ago so on my own to figure it out.

This group may be a life line to you:

http://www.biausa.org/mild-brain-injury.htm

Brain Injuray Association of America

Mild Brain Injury and Concussion

Definition

The term �mild brain injury� can be misleading. The term �mild� is used in reference to the severity of the initial physical trauma that caused the injury.

It does not indicate the severity of the consequences of the injury.
Read Anne's story about a person who sustained a mild brain injury and the challenges she faced in understanding this injury.

http://www.biausa.org/state-affiliates.htm

Find BIA in your state -

The Brain Injury Association of America's nationwide network of chartered state affiliates provide

direct support, information, resources, education and advocacy for individuals living with brain injury, their friends and family, professionals who provide research, treatment and services and the general public.

To find an affiliate near you, click on a state in the map . . . .

============================

Beyond that, be sure your LLMD is aware - as infection can also cause brain injury of sorts.

And if you want any hands-on treatment, AVOID any sudden turns or twists of the neck.

UPLEDGER or FELDENKRAIS are two techniques that are safe. Just Google for their main sites.

Perlmutter's books and other educational materials are essential, too. Do be sure to find a professional he suggests near you.

While many MDs may not be "up" with various supplements, NDs are, but some just more specialized than others.

HBOT could be a possible brain treatment that can also affect lyme. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Insurance might cover for certain other diagnoses (it won't cover for lyme, though).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Doctors in these categories would likely be more familiar with Perlmutter's work.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc. (Be aware that those in this category can have various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps even just a short course. Do ask first.)

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL & SAFETY links,

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients . . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Just saw this yesterday, way cool.

If you continue to work as a boxing coach, you may need to have clear instruction that your head and neck are NEVER to be touched. Maybe not even your body if that causes the head to bounce, though.

After finding out more about your safety, you might ask about a different kind of head protection. Still, even if you are not in the ring even for training, you might be able to help others prevent such accidents. This area is opening up, I hope. And it may lead to different and safer kinds of sports, too.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130115-woodpecker-inspires-bike-helmet

WOODPECKER INSPIRES BIKE HELMET

- by Emily Anthes - Jan. 16, 2013 - at BBC.com

Excerpt:

. . . The way a woodpecker is able to protect itself from long bouts of head banging influences the design of radical new head protection. . . .

[Photos are amazing]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Considering it's wintertime, be sure your footwear is non-skid.

Vibram soles are great and you might also get those slip on cleats. No time to take chances with a slip. This is likely what started with me.

I had gone into a deli to pick up dinner at the start to a snow storm, stepped back out and feet slid and my head hit the concrete. Stars galore. Ice storm to such intensity in such a short span of time that I had to scurry home after a short nap in my car.

No doctor called as for days the city was frozen still. I just chalked it up to another fall - as I'd been clumsy my whole life with lots of falls so never understood that I should have sought medical care.

I already had lyme then but no doctor was willing to explore. Had I not been so dismissed by doctors in general I may have been more willing to seek help.

But, with your boxing injury, surely doctors will understand the significance of that. I hope you find a doctor who can help your brain HEAL. I think it's entirely possible.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Jumping on any kind of trampoline could also cause concussion if one has brain swelling to begin with as often happens with lyme - or make one worse. Some great detail here:

http://www.stlouischildrens.org/articles/wellness/concussion-fact-sheet

Concussion Fact Sheet
-

lpkayak
Member # 5230

keeb-i just got the first bk and it looks really good...the power up your brain one. i still had to pay 3.95 for shipping for the 50 cent book...ordered from the same place but they still charged me double postage

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement