LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » does this flu have a GI component?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: does this flu have a GI component?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive heard respiratory and fever and cough

in the last 3 days i know 2 ppl and a dog who have the big D just all of a sudden...no other sx except maybe fatigue and headache

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that any/every "stomach flu" is related to some kind of food poisioning pathogen.

So - I think the other types of "flu" are different.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both types seem to be going around here, nasty stuff. Fevers above 103 for days.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wierd about food poisoning-different families-didnt eat the same food

i was in doc offeices yesterday

i need to shop tomorrow-im gonna take some occ and elderberry and hope it works...i dont need this on top of everythign else

thx

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I threw up for 12 hours (all family ate the same thing and I was the only one sick so it wasn't food poisoning). THen the body aches and pains were like I had been run over by a truck multiple times. That lasted for 3-4 days. Then I was majorly fatigued for 3-4 days.

I was really sick.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read this... So, I was suprised, too -

http://www.foodborneillness.com/food_poisoning_faq

Q. What is the stomach flu?

Many people use the term �stomach flu� or �24-hour flu� to describe symptoms of nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Although these symptoms can be related to illness caused by influenza viruses, experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suspect that many of the intestinal illnesses commonly referred to as �stomach flu� are actually caused by foodborne pathogens.

Influenza or �the flu� is primarily an illness of the respiratory system caused by influenza viruses that are spread from person-to-person through coughing or sneezing.

If diarrheal symptoms do not occur with respiratory symptoms, a person may actually have food poisoning.

----

I don't know if it's considered a foodborne pathogen or "the flu"...? Lots of weird bugs out there. A foodborne pathogen can be picked up by touching something & then putting your hand in your mouth or on food.

How about using public restrooms...? So - it may not be from food a whole family eats if you picked it up from the handrail to the stairs getting onto the train, etc. or using a public bathroom.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

PS - I read that this Norovirus is going around...

Norovirus

Norovirus is the leading cause of gastroenteritis, or what we commonly think of as stomach flu symptoms. It causes 23 million cases of gastroenteritis per year, or over half of all gastroenteritis cases in the U.S., and is the second most common virus after the common cold.

Norovirus is usually transmitted from the feces to the mouth, either by drinking contaminated food or water or by passing from person to person. Because noroviruses are easily transmitted, are resistant to common disinfectants, and are hard to contain using normal sanitary measures, they can cause extended outbreaks.

SYMPTOMS OF NOROVIRUS
The norovirus incubation period tends to be 24 to 48 hours, after which symptoms begin to appear. An infection normally lasts only 24 to 60 hours. However, in some cases, dehydration, malnutrition, and even death can occur. These complications are more likely among children, older people, and patients in hospitals and nursing homes with weakened immune systems. Common symptoms include:

Nausea
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Abdominal pain
Headache
Low-grade fever

NOROVIRUS DIAGNOSIS
Norovirus usually takes its course and goes away on its own after one to three days. It is hard to diagnose using samples in a lab, and so is usually diagnosed based on the combination of common symptoms, including mild fever, vomiting, and short duration of illness.

NOROVIRUS TREATMENT
There is no specific treatment for norovirus. However, it is essential to replenish fluids and minerals, as these are depleted with diarrhea.

HOW TO PREVENT NOROVIRUS INFECTION
The good news is that norovirus does not multiply on food, since it is a virus and not a bacterium. There is no way to tell whether foods � like shellfish, which are often eaten raw � are contaminated with norovirus. The only way to assure you don�t get norovirus from foods like shellfish is to cook them thoroughly. Here are other norovirus prevention methods:

Wash hands properly, especially after being at events with catered meals, nursing homes, schools, or on cruise ships
Wash raw vegetables thoroughly before serving them
While traveling, only drink boiled drinks or carbonated bottled beverages
Avoid letting anyone known to have norovirus in kitchen spaces

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR NOROVIRUS
About-Norovirus.com is a comprehensive site with in-depth information about norovirus infection.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

thx-but shoot. i have unexplained fatigue-worse than normal too. and last week i had a day of nausea-very strange for me-but no vomiting

i actually have to go out for a few things...mornings are so hard for me...but i want to go when fewer ppl are around.

and winter flu season is just beginning...

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get some saccromyces boulardii and take it 3 times a day. That'll stop you up good!! [Wink]

I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

If you are already ill - getting a virus or flu is not easy. Just take care & try to rest as much as possible. Drink plenty of fluids & take some kind of electrolites.

Fatigue means you have to rest.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

oh-i dont have the "D" this time...2 neighbors do.

yeah-im mostly gonna try to stay away from ppl and take my elderberry and have my occillium if i get the fever

i just heard them describe it as: fever, weakness, then respiratory...no one talked about gi

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the CDC website where they list the symptoms. Some people can have GI symptoms according to this.

Not all have fever according to this list also.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/symptoms.htm

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

and tday on news they are saying noro is out there too...see sparkles post above...here they are telling you not to go to er cuz if you have one you might get the other

but ppl are dying from this...cant really tell them not to go to er

i have to schedule two tests in hospital...and am dragging my feet now...dont want to go near it

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

It's probably best to try to wait for the tests if you can... Hospitals are very dirty/germ-y places.
lpkayak
Member # 5230

tonight the news said tumeric and elderberry are 2 good ways to prevent flu or bad flu

tomorrow they will probably outlaw selling them...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement